Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)  (Read 74635 times)

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
Re: Koyote in Mordheim
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
Oh my goodness those are gorgeous! I have a rather large collection of Mordheim miniatures, but the Kislevites have eluded me and I have no desire to pay top dollar for a warband. Then again, I wouldn't do them the same justice as you have!

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
Simply stunning brush work!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2018, 09:55:19 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I've finalized the rules for my campaign -which is a good thing, considering that the campaign begins next week.

If you are thinking about running a campaign of your own or you are simply curious about my take on Mordheim campaigns, I've attached to this post my Mordheim Campaign Packet and the Sylvania Setting Rules Packet.  The latter is a modified version of the Sylvania campaign rules first posted in Letters of the Damned.  I removed a couple of rules, tweaked others, and added a few of my own.  I also made the Exploration Chart a bit more generous.

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:07:56 PM by Koyote »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »
brilliant, thank you.

Offline henerius

• Bookworm
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
I absolutely love those Kislevites! Great paintjob.

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2018, 08:03:18 PM »
Thanks for posting those great PDF files!
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2018, 03:23:00 AM »
I've finished another reinforcement for my Kislevs.  In time, she'll be added to my Cossack henchmen group.

The model is an OOP Shieldmaiden Berserker, made by Bad Squiddo games.  The model's heroic pose and eastern style trousers are what first grabbed my attention, but after closer examination I realized that its sword arm is a bit too long, too thick at the base, and juts out from the model's side in a way that doesn't look natural.  Worst of all, the head and neck were not centered between the model's shoulders.

To fix the arm I shaved down the arm and reshaped a part of the torso beneath the arm.  The arm still didn't look right so I bent the arm at the elbow.  Removing some of the torso required me to re-sculpt all of the rectangular armor segments on that side of the body.  The arm still doesn't look quite right, but it is what it is.

I replaced the straight bladed sword with a scimitar from the Frostgrave plastic Cultist kit.

I had to saw off the head in order to reposition it.  This required even more GS work to realign the hair and fix the top of the armored vest that was damaged by the saw. 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:55:43 AM by Koyote »

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »
Thank you very much for the PDF and the hugely inspiring images of your miniatures!

Good to see that there is still people actively adventuring in the City of the Damned. Or, as is in your case, other settings of the old world.
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
I guess I can see what you mean, at least as far as the arm goes, and you've done a nice job, but tbh I think the original (at least in the photo) looks fine.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2018, 11:30:21 PM »
I played my first game of the campaign.  It was the Wyrdstone Hunt scenario against a Dwarf Treasure Hunters warband.  I won the game (my opponent voluntarily bottled after his Noble and 2 Slayers were taken out), but the dwarves escaped with more treasure (wyrdstone) counters than I did.  Dwarves may be short and slow, but they are a devious folk, so watch out for them!

My MVP of the game was, ironically, one of my Youths.  Natasha took three models out-of-action with her hammer and dagger: a zombie, a Dwarf Warrior, and a Dwarf Slayer.  She took the Slayer out-of-action by rolling a crit with her dagger (2 wounds +2 to injury roll).  The Slayer had a full recovery, but the Dwarf Warrior died from his wounds.  In return, the Dwarves took out Sergeant Ludvig and one of my Cossacks.  Ludvig will live, but the poor Cossack is now riding across the grassy Ungol plains in the afterlife.

Most of the game was a ridiculous slap fight in which neither my opponent or I couldn't roll much higher than a 2.

In post game I rolled 5 exploration dice (4 Heroes + the Beggar).  Three of those dice were sixes, so Captain Yuri ended up testifying on behalf of an old friend who was accused of being a vampire.  Yuri passed his leadership test, so his friend was set free and Yuri was rewarded with 1 XP and D3 treasures.  I traded in all but two of my warband's treasures for enough gold crowns to replace my dead Cossack and recruit a Witch Hunter hired sword.  Why a Witch Hunter?  Well, not only does it seem to appropriate for the setting, but I have a cool witch hunter model that I really want to paint.

Per the campaign rules, all heroes that begin the campaign with XPs get one free roll on the advance table.  This, I feel, gives these heroes a bit more character going into the campaign.  My Bear Tamer's 'free' advance roll provided him with a second wound.  During the game he earned 1 XP for taking out a zombie and 1 XP for surviving. This gave him a second advance roll, which resulted in another additional wound.  Crazy.  After my first game I have a hero with 3 wounds.  He shall now be known as Oleg 'Ironside'.

OLEG... OLEG... OLEG...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:35:26 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2018, 06:25:06 PM »
Leopold von Drak's namesake died at the hands of Vlad von Carstein almost 200 years before the Witch Hunter's birth.  Carstein's new bride, Isabella took mercy on her uncle's widow and young children, and so she arranged for the last of the von Draks to flee to the neighboring county of Ostermark. 

To combat the darkness that has enveloped their homeland, the exiled von Drak family developed the tradition of sending their second sons to the Temple of Sigmar for training and indoctrination into the Order of Witch Hunters. And so, for two centuries von Drak witch hunters have been infiltrating the benighted county with the mission of destroying vampires, necromancers, and their servants.

Leopold von Drak - Witch Hunter (hired sword)

This mini is the Inquisitor Captain Xander Thule, sold by Gorgon Miniatures.  It's a very cool model, but it wasn't cast very well, so it took a fair amount of work with the hobby knife and greenstuff to get it prepared for paint. 

Leopold will join my Kislevite warband as a Witch Hunter hired sword.

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2018, 08:07:24 PM »
Beautiful mini and brushwork. Again i like the face and your choice of colours.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2018, 10:59:46 PM »
Played another campaign game last night.  This time my opponent was Jake and his accursed Norse Explorers.

It was Jake's first game of the campaign, so we played the Wyrdstone Hunt.  Predictably, Jake and I cleared away the zombies and each claimed two of the five treasures (wyrdstone).  The fifth treasure was located on the walkway of my Mordheim table's new centerpiece, the Tueden League Windmill.

Even though the walkway creates a bit of an overhang, we mutually agreed that models could climb  up to it from all sides.  Once this was decided, the rest of the battle involved our two warbands slugging it out on and around the windmill. We battled up and down stairs and on the walkway.  At one point, I even attempted one of the most ridiculous actions in the game, a diving charge, but poor Oleg wasn't up to the task and he ended up landing badly and suffering a wound.

Jake's Norse made it up onto the windmill's walkway first.  Once he was in place, the narrow walkway made it difficult for me to use my numbers to my advantage.  Near the end of the game he moved his insanely powerful Berserker (4 strength 6 attacks) to the top of the stairs.  From that point the battle began to resemble the Battle of Stamford Bridge, with a single Norseman champion back holding back a flood of attackers, but instead of defending a narrow bridge, he was defending a narrow stairway.   In two turns that evil bastard took out 4 of my models. 

Just like my first game of the campaign, my opponent voluntarily routed, but took with him 3 of the 5 treasures.

Both warbands ended the scenario pretty bloody.  I took out-of-action the Norse's Jarl, his Ulfwernar, and several henchmen.  All of the Norse except for a single henchmen recovered.  Jake took out-of-action two of my heroes and three of my henchmen.  All but a single Cossack henchmen recovered, although some of the latter ended up with a permanent injury.   The zombies dragged down and killed Durt, my wretched Sylvanian Guide.

Post game, both Jake and I did quite well.  We both got quite a few rolls on the Advance tables and each earned a nice pile of gold crowns.

I continue to be disappointed by Kislev Ranger, so I think I'll send her back to Kislev and hire a different hired sword. I need a fighter with a bit more punch.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 05:51:58 AM by Koyote »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »
sounds a good game, and great model that. Pricey, but given pre-colouring etc more than fair enough.

any pics from the game itself?

Offline Cyrus the Great

• Librarian
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2018, 09:21:17 PM »
Very nice how you've tied your warband together with your choice of colors. Is that a Space Wolves grey I see? Very effective and evocative!