Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:37:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: PA Diorama Project  (Read 8931 times)

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
PA Diorama Project
« on: August 01, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »
Although I mostly do modeling and figure painting for gaming, I decided to do a special diorama based on a PA book series by a favorite author. I've gotten to know him on line and have seen how he goes out of his way to appreciate his fans. So, I am making this diorama for him and will send it when done as a small surprise and token of thanks. It's been a really fun project and I am finally at the fun stage of aging, weathering and distressing things. The scale is 15 MM, and the two figures are both conversions - ever try to put a dog in a hazmat suit!!!!

Here are a few pics of the work in progress, and I will say that it is far from being finished, but at least the majority of the construction work is done and I am getting to do the fun part now - the aging, weathering and distressing.

"In the beginning..."

This is the construction site, which I was very fortunate to be able to get a picture of because it is considered a dangerous, hard hat area and due to safety and insurance reasons civilians and photographers are not usually allowed.

Finally got all of the brick work done....well, except for the part that will be part of the rubble. Also, the hardwood floor has been installed inside as well as the interior Sheetrock.

Here you can see the hardwood flooring and the Sheetrock.

Initial base coats, but ugh! the color for the concrete is awful - too blue, so it will be repainted with a better color.

Here's where I am today, and the change of color for the concrete is a big help. This just shows the initial washes and nothing more as I still need to do variations, highlights and other detailing bits. The rubbed bronze look for the window frames has been done and the Sheetrock has been given a coat of wall paint.

The building is going to be a public library and amongst the ruin and scree I'll have some of his books scattered around. yes, the books are very tiny but knowing the book covers he'll be able to identify them.

More to follow,

Terry

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
Re: PA Diorama Project
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 11:38:43 PM »
Had some fun today starting the highlights and doing some of the detailing. It is slowly getting there. I got the rust painted on the exposed rebar, and also did some work on the floor and the Sheetrock. And as you can see, I've started working on the rubble that will be in he area to the left from the collapsed wall.

Hoping to start installing the window glass tomorrow and will continue to work on the rubble and scree.

More to follow,

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 03:31:11 AM »
More done today, but probably not apparent to what was done to the front outer wall - a few gouges in the brick work, and some further detailing, aging and highlighting. But mostly worked on the inside, painting areas that will show in the buildings framework, the flooring, etc. although not much of it is really going to show when the back panel is installed. I think the inner wall of dilapidated Sheetrock is pretty much done, but am thinking of  attaching some larger pieces as if they've come loose and fallen from the wall. I am also looking at maybe having part of the ceiling having collapsed in a small area too, but those will come later when I start assembling the various pieces. Here are a few pics.

More to follow,

Terry

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 12:52:56 PM »
A lot of hard work has gone into that lovely piece, it's taking shape nicely and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out when you are finished.

Good luck,

Legionnaire.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:20:45 PM »
Ran out of sunlight yesterday to get any decent pictures (not sure you can use that term and my name in the same sentence though), so took some this morning of the project. You can see the broken windows have been dirtied, and the doors are finished. The doors will not be set like this in the final stage, but set them there so you could see them. This morning, after I took these pictures, I started adding the built up dirt and mold that would gather in flat spaces. I'm waiting on the binding agent to dry and then will paint it and move on to the next step.. I also took these pictures outside of the display case so they might be a little clearer for you to see the model.

More to follow,

Terry

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 07:32:29 PM »
Bravo! What a fantastic idea, to bring to life the work of one of your favourite authors.  8) 8) :-*

I love a good read, please let us know who the author is when you are ready!
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 08:20:09 PM »
Nice job.

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 09:13:15 PM »
Than you gentlemen, This is indeed proving a fun project to do, and so far I am pleased with the progress. I've probably got a good 20+ hours invested in it at this point and there is so much yet to do. Once I start the landscaping in the front it will really come to life....well, if a post apocalyptic scene can "come to life"! But based on the book I will also be including some really weird mutant plant life he describes in the book in purple, blue and red - three different types.

I truly want it to be a surprise when Nick receives it, and also be pleased with it. The plan is to just mail it to him and pray it arrives without damage. I'll double pack it to help insure that.

The author is Nicholas Smith and if you like PA stories I highly recommend his works. The particular series this model is from is called Hell Divers, and specifically HDIII.

https://www.amazon.com/Hell-Divers-Book/dp/1455115983/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533585652&sr=8-1&keywords=hell+divers+book+1

This may spark a little more interest.

HDIV will be released later this year with the final book, HDV next year.

I have read everything he's written and thoroughly enjoyed every one. He is creative, suspenseful and unpredictable. Hell Divers is my favorite followed by the Trackers series.

Terry

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 07:03:37 AM »

That already looks brilliant, I salute your skill and hide my models in shame  ;D

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 08:13:08 PM »
Been a few days since I've shared anything, mostly due to the overcast days not giving very much good light for my inabilities to take photos. But today is better....between storms, so here are a couple of updates. In the exterior view there's not much new to see, but I don't think I've shared the view since I added the dirt build-up in the flat areas.

Most of my work lately has been working on the interior. I've started adding 3 dimensional aspects to the back, which I think is helping. I still have some work to do to better blend them in - the circulation desk and some drawers in the card catalog, but each in it's turn. I made the two bookcases so they will be sort of attached to the back wall and blended in so they have some space from the front wall, and there will be more scattered books lying around and a few still in disarray on the shelves. The library table was made to give the bookcases something to lean against as I don't think I want the first one lying flat on the floor....but maybe.

I don't plan any kind of ceiling, but will have some heavy beams going from the front wall to the back, but more for securing the two walls better than anything else. I also plan one of the beams to have fallen near the circulation desk and probably another down near the corner that is broken out. I may ave some part of the ceiling as having fallen in and a bit of wiring hanging down as well.

I've started going back through the book to get a better understanding of the vegetation he describes, as that phase will be starting very soon, and should be a lot of fun to do.

Anyway, that's where we are to date,

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 03:24:25 PM »
This is pretty much how the inside is going to look. Maybe you can see the additional 3D stuff I did to the background. I also did some repainting of the picture to make it look more in like with the rest of the model.

Also, to help visualize the scale/size I took a picture of it with an American penny and a British pound coin. Probably should ahve put the front back on, but you'll still get the idea.

More to follow,

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 07:31:03 PM »
I was able to get some pictures this morning of the inside. It's mostly done, with a few minor additions, and the bits I can't add until the front is secured in place. But this will give you an idea. The books on the shelves are just nondescript but all of the books lying around are covers of Nick's books.  The fallen beam at the right will have another beam passing under it and partly sticking out the broken window on the right. I plan to have beams going from the front to the back in several places to add to the looks but also to help secure the two walls together.

More to follow,

Terry

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 07:00:19 AM »
Very impressive Sir.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette