Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:55:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: PA Diorama Project  (Read 8926 times)

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
Re: PA Diorama Project
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 03:57:24 AM »
Still on a roll here trying to get this all finished, but can't do any base work until the car is finished. Today I shaped the front fender and added the front bumper, the hood, and the rear window section. Decided that since the front of the car is going to be partially submerged I'll leave the hood closed, but still plan for the driver's door and the trunk lid to be ajar.  I also started working on the underside, and added the engine, the drive shaft tunnel and drive shaft and the differential. Need a little more shaping on the engine, and of course the hood and rear window need to be shaped. The I need to create the windows and do any final tweaking. Then complete the underside it'll be ready to paint. The small piece it's sitting under the car is  just something to hold it for the picture.

More soon,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2018, 10:47:52 PM »
Have been working steadily and making good progress. Ran out of sunshine yesterday so no pictures for yesterday, but here is where I am  as of this evening.

I apologize this picture is fuzzy. I took it a second time and that one was worse. At least you can get an idea. Personally I think it is a bit long at the front, but am hoping once in place with debris etc. around it that won't be an issue. The trunk has been re-carved, the rear window shaped, the front and rear bumpers added (the rear is just filed into the back while the front is an add on). The final shape of the door opening is done and the front wheel hub is in place. You can see I have done another bit of putty work on places that needed it, but if that's good then I am ready to start distressing the model to make it look dented and banged up for a PA wreck. I also need to make the door and the trunk lid, which are no big deal

Amazing, I got it in focus!!! You can see how it will look set on the model base. This view will be more toward the building but I wanted to share the underside. The gas tank has been added at the rear, and you can see the wheel hub at a hard right position. The underside is not finished, but I need to study a few pics and see how else to detail it.

Trust me paint is going to do a lot to improve the overall look. I probably won't try to scribe in the windows and will just paint them in. The open door window will be done as the previous model I did with bits of broken glass in it.

More soon,

Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2018, 03:49:48 AM »
Alright, the car is basically done as far as creating it, with a few tweaks here and there and maybe a bit more on the underside, plus some dings, dents and stuff - after all it's supposed to be a wreck.. The tailpipe and muffler will be added separately as I plan to have it hanging loose in some fashion after the car is placed on the model. Then to start painting it.

I said I would take one of the right side of the car so you can see how I left most of it as is. But then too, I filed that side down at a bit so it would be resting at an angle with part of the rear of the car sticking up a bit. The back tire on the left side will be the full tire, but hanging loose from a broken axle, I am hoping to cover the two right side wheels with debris, water and ground.

This gives a good idea of the finished creation, and you can see the door and trunk lid as well, which I'll install just before priming and painting -

After I took the above pictures I added the lug bolts to the front left wheel hub, and made an engine to up inside the car. I did the latter because if you looked close enough through the wheel well you could see through to the other side. That may not have been apparent when it was glued on the base, but just in case there is now an engine there. Nothing fancy, just a block of lead to resemble the engine, but in the general shape of one.

No work on it tomorrow as I am going gaming, and will most likely be doing some ECW games. Always a favorite for me as I am a fan of just about any ball and musket period.

More soon,

Terry

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2018, 03:02:07 PM »
Your attention to detail is INCREDIBLE!!..... :-* :-* :-*...You are an amazing craftsman I MUST say!!

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2018, 10:36:57 PM »
My continued thanks for the kind comments. This is a work of the heart and will hopefully be a nice surprise and gift for Nick.

After I had the car ready to paint one of Nick's close friends just bought a new Mazda CX 5 and posted a picture of it, so I decided to take the time to modify the car and instead of basing off of my old '93 Honda Accord to base it off of Nathan's new Mazda. So although not trying to make an exact copy, I did want it to be close. I also decided to go ahead and buckle the hood up, and am glad I did as I think it really adds to the model. I also added a Mazda symbol to the front of the car.

This is just the basic paint work as I still have some details I want to add. I'll dust the window glass so it's not so bright white, add window glass shards to the door and rear hatch and do a little detailing of the damage to the front corner. Once the car is finished I'll start doing the ground work, making the mutant plant life based on the book and the final assembly of the diorama model. More soon,

Terry

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2018, 10:39:32 PM »
Coming along nicely  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2018, 11:16:04 PM »
The work you are putting into the car alone is amazing!
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 07:55:22 PM »
Here are pictures of the finished car, and also the most likely position on the diorama. However, I am toying with having the underside facing out, but we'll see. The exhaust pipe coming from the engine will be added after the ground is done. Anyway, I am now closing in on the last part-the basing.

More soon,

Terry

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 08:16:45 PM »
Cracking stuff Terry. I still find it hard to believe (even with all the WIP photos) that this started as a white metal kubelwagen.

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 09:33:11 PM »
Very interesting project. Like your positive fanatism.

Helldivers sounds very good, try to get my fingers on the first book.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »
nice progress
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2018, 02:58:04 AM »
Have made good progress on the project and landscape, with the basic done, as well as the crumbly dirt. I also made the electric blue mutant plants and installed them as wells as the purple grasses,  set up for the toxic water pools and the poisonous red mold. Hope to start painting it all tomorrow, and will try to get a picture, but it may not be until Sunday after church.

Terry

PS, also pegged the car to help it stay in place better.

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2018, 06:36:31 PM »
Had an opportunity to get a few quick pics, so here it is. All of the base coats are done to the ground and the first wash has been applied to the main ground portion. The scree, debris and the car are just set in place for the pictures. They will all go in toward the very end but i thought you might get a better idea of the overall look with them in place.

Nick describes three basic mutant plant forms - the tentacle like electric blue, a purple with no other description and a red weed. I am taking the red weed as more like a moss that grows around pools of water as he does not say much about it either. The main pant he describes is the blue one.

More soon,

Terry

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2018, 12:15:38 PM »
Really coming together now Terry

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2018, 03:43:58 AM »
Nearly finished!!! Here are a few pictures of the project, which I am referring to as Project X, as it is all but finished. I still need to do an little touch-ups I see, and do the pools of toxic water, but neither of that will take very long. Then paint the base edge add the dedication and mail it off. Have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this and am pleased with how it has turned out. I sure hope Nick likes it.

I'll share final pictures once it's done,

Terry