Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:12:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689697
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tanks : The Modern Age  (Read 2738 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Tanks : The Modern Age
« on: August 01, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
GF9's Tanks, a skirmish game  using BF Plastic WW2 tanks and an X-wing style card and movement system is receiving its second edition now dubbed 'The Modern Age' and is WW3/Team Yankee based. The WW2 edition will still be supported and to a degree will be cross compatible (So yes you could have three Shermans against an Abrams etc). Besides Modern Tanks there will also be rules for Helicopters !

I'm rather looking forward to it as a nice cheap Beer and Pretzels historical skirmish game.

Link to more details.

https://www.beastsofwar.com/modern-warfare/tanks-the-modern-age-whats-inside-starter-set/

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tanks : The Modern Age
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 09:46:56 AM »
I never got around to play the WWII version. I died assebling the tanks. I found them way to fiddly for what is essentially a beer and pretzel game.

But helicopters sounds interesting.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:40:42 PM »
I never got around to play the WWII version. I died assebling the tanks. I found them way to fiddly for what is essentially a beer and pretzel game.

they are the standard BF plastics sold in single sprue. Give or take.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:16:22 PM »

I thought Tanks! would be a fun way to introduce my nephew, with whom I regularly play X-Wing, to historical wargaming. But when trying it for the first time with my regular gaming buddy, we (well; he... ::) ) completely broke the game and that sucked out all the fun I wanted it to be.  :(

I haven't touched it since, even though I've assembled a few more tanks since then, and recently even got a whole shedload of the original blisters (tanks with cards) for a steal (€5,- a piece!) So it might eventually see another outing, but then maybe against another, less savvy player perhaps. With a more symmetrical set-up...

And even though I'm about to get into Team Yankee at the moment (book in hands, first units on their way), I'm not sure I'd invest in, what I fear still is, a broken game. But YMMV... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 08:01:31 AM »
they are the standard BF plastics sold in single sprue. Give or take.

I know. But my only previous experience with BF tanks has been the old resin ones where you just glue on tracks and a gunbarrel.

I just have a deep aversion to assembling plastic models.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »
I thought Tanks! would be a fun way to introduce my nephew, with whom I regularly play X-Wing, to historical wargaming. But when trying it for the first time with my regular gaming buddy, we (well; he... ::) ) completely broke the game and that sucked out all the fun I wanted it to be.  :(

I haven't touched it since, even though I've assembled a few more tanks since then, and recently even got a whole shedload of the original blisters (tanks with cards) for a steal (€5,- a piece!) So it might eventually see another outing, but then maybe against another, less savvy player perhaps. With a more symmetrical set-up...

And even though I'm about to get into Team Yankee at the moment (book in hands, first units on their way), I'm not sure I'd invest in, what I fear still is, a broken game. But YMMV... ;)

....how did you break the game ?

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 12:19:27 PM »
I know. But my only previous experience with BF tanks has been the old resin ones where you just glue on tracks and a gunbarrel.

I just have a deep aversion to assembling plastic models.

Well coming from years of 1/72 and 1/35 modelling actually plastic tanks for me were simply great. I really love the assembly part! And having my shell-load of Tamiya models plastic BF are a breeze to assemble. Okay you need ot be careful with the M1 hull... also I have to say that I found their plastic extremely improved compared to their resin and metal.

Again different things for different people!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »
....how did you break the game ?

It may well have been an issue with the starter scenario; it pits two Shermans against a Panther. But the Panther, with the German special rules was just too fast and agile. We ended up playing tag between and around the two buildings on the map, and the Panther just ran circles around the Shermans, always hitting them on the side or rear armour, no matter how I moved them.

I tried pincering the Panther, sniping using cover, close assault, you name it, but I could not touch his Panther, and he nibbled away at both my Shermans, relocating ludicrously each turn.

Obviously, his superior command level, special rules and simply better tank were included to represent the scenario (Barkmann's Corner), but in the hands of a rules-savvy player, this combination ceases to be realistic, and becomes both annoying and boring to play, especially when played RAW instead of RAI.

To familiarise myself with the rules, I played the scenario against myself before, and playing it with realism in mind (i.e. keeping your tank(s) in cover, moving cautiously, rushing when required etc), the game is fun.

But after the first opposed game, I replayed the scenario one last time, but this time playing it with the rules in mind, instead of reality, and then it just sucked! Using the rules to their max, the Panther can relocate each turn (moving last, shooting first, and as part of the special rule, can then relocate a short distance again, special rules also negate to-hit modifiers because of moving) to catch the Shermans in the flank each and every turn.

It invariably ends up with it dancing just out of Sherman reach, either back into cover, or front armor facing the Sherman's rear, all the while using its superior weapon to keep pouring damage effects on the Shermans. Ofter this means it's at just a cannon's length away, but just around a corner, impossible to hit for the Shermans.

Very frustrating for the US player, and boring for the German player.

Now, this might well be different against a less tooled up Panter, with a lower leadership etc, and more tanks in play than just the three of the initial scenario, but for the both of us, it was clear that a game that can be exploited so blatantly is not for us.

To speak in X-Wing terms; it was like a completely tooled up Fell against a flight of bare Bandit Squadron Z's... ::)

Which is not to say it can't still be used as a simple and quick gateway game of course ;)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 04:59:23 AM »
Just buy and use some of the prepainted, preassembled, 1/144th scale tanks.

That'll save you a lot of grief.