Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:03:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689727
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New version of Arkham Horror announced  (Read 1896 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
New version of Arkham Horror announced
« on: August 02, 2018, 03:20:04 PM »
New version announced from FFG - link

Not actually quite sure when they're releasing it, but it's up for pre-order now

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: New version of Arkham Horror announced
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 03:33:00 PM »

Some pretty significant changes from the original, not least doing away with the original board & replacing it with a tile system (& an unusual one at that).
 I've had a lot of fun with the original, so I'm curious to see how this version compares.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 05:20:26 PM »
I have the 2nd edition and all the supplements, while I an intrigued about this newest addition not looking forward to buying all that again. Hell, I haven't even played some of the supplements but the completeist in my had to get them. Little drawn out at times but a fun game nonetheless.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 05:45:06 PM »
Is it time to update from the old first ed I have or should I go for MoM?

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 05:46:47 PM »
Or Eldrich...

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »
Is it time to update from the old first ed I have or should I go for MoM?
- thebinmann - they'll give you rather different gaming experiences - if you've got 1st ed AH & enjoy it don't bother with a new edition - get Eldritch Horror or MoM instead.
 EH is quite different from AH, it's a much more streamlined game with a far shorter set-up & play time (though it contains plenty of things you'd recognize from the other game (characters, some sorts of dice roll etc). Unlike in AH, you're far more up against the clock in EH, there being a fairly small number of turns in which to complete your objectives (dictated by which Great Old One you've chosen, which dictates the number of Mythos cards, which in turn will dictate the game length).
MoM is a very different beast, but also a good game (I haven't tried the new tablet/PC/phone assisted version, but I'm certainly in favour of the drastic cut to the set-up time it brings). 

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 05:32:11 PM »
I played second ed when it came out a few times but to be honest I prefered the speed, ease and for me (at the time) "more Cthulhu like" experience of the first ed.

I have played MoM first ed and liked it a lot, but now need a solo game so might do that. Or sell on my Death my die pledge as I forgot to cancel and get all three: 3rd ED, MoM and Eldruch to add to AHLCG which I love even solo...

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 08:12:02 PM »
Really late reply, but finally played it last month.

AH3 is pretty much another version of EH, which was something of a revision of AH1&2 (iirc, The only differences between AH1 and AH2 was the gameboard -- EH is not AH2), which were nearly identical. So if you like your copy of AH1or2 or EH, then there's no need to buy AH3. I figure I'll pick up AH3 if it goes at a deep discount, or I want more Lovecraftian gaming content. (The last two big box expansions for EH were underwhelming for the price, according to various BGG'ers.) If you don't like the sf-looking modular boards, then you'll still find them detracting in the game. If you've played the CoC LCG, then you'll recognize the draw bag mechanic, which replaces the Mythos cards. While you're still drawing a card for an encounter, Gates have thematically changed. Rather than going to another dimension (which didn't happen all that often in Lovecraft's stories, and pretty much never to a dimension that was not thematically related to the Ancient One in the story), doom tokens are added to a sector -- er, neighborhood -- and you draw from a different deck, representing the influence of the mythos. It's more story-like and subtly shuts down neighborhoods, since you aren't drawing from the (sometimes) beneficial neighborhood deck anymore. Also, research tokens have thematic rules that (iirc) differ with each scenario, rather than act as bland flavorless tokens. If I didn't already have AH or EH, I would start with EH3.

MoM is a very different game. The difference between AH/EH and MoM is sort of like the difference between Talisman and Descent. In AH/EH and Talisman, each player runs off in their own town or world location and does their own thing. With MoM and Descent, players work together in the same room (or at least close to each other) of a house. With MoM2, an app controls the game, much like a game master.

AH2: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2042520/how-we-play-arkham-horror-2nd-edition
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/