Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 14th Century Medievals  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Dr. Moebius

• Scientist
  • - per aspera ad astra -
14th Century Medievals
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:26:25 PM »
Hello,

I just want to share my gentle start of a new project. Don't know how far I will get with this, we will see. The idea is to play games of Lion Rampant in a 14th Century setting. I will start with a retinue of scots. The rough plan is 6 foot knights (men at arms), 12 archers, 12 yeomen, 12 expers foot sergeants (mercenary gallowglass from the western isles), and some bidowers.

After the last 10 years or more I have collected a lot of Citadel Bretonnians from the 4th and 5th edition. I really love the style and the character of these ranges (as always from the Perry brothers).

Today I had some time to spend for the hobby and I tried to start with the Gallowglass. The new Perry sculpts are based on late 15th Century to 16th Century Irish Gallowglass and Kern, lovely miniatures. I will buy these in the near future. Though I wanted to have my own version that would fit better into the style of my old Bretonnians and that will depict earlier Gallowglass from the western isles. As the Claymore Casting ones are a little too small for the rest of my collection I tried to use my HYW Black Tree miniatures as the basis. The Black Tree range is great and it fits perfect to the Citadel miniatures in terms of size and style.

I have converted the weapons from bills and halbards to double handed axes by swapping the blades with axe heads from Rafm I had in my bits box for ages. Some have got a new knife, a little bit bigger helmets, moustaches and beards and some naked legs (from Foudry Darkest Africa tribal warriors). By changing the legs I was able to get them more dynamic as well.

Hope you like them so far. Will have to do some more to get 12 in the end.

Cheers
Alexander

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:43:41 PM by Dr. Moebius »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: 14th Century Medievals
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 10:43:24 PM »
Looking forward to seeing these  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 03:26:38 PM »
Lovely conversions Alex. :-* :-*
Will follow with great interest.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 03:35:06 PM »
Excellent work - they make very good gallowglass indeed.

Offline Dr. Moebius

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »
Hello,

thanks for the replies so far.

I have done three more of them today. I need to train sculpting as I am not very happy with the chainmail on these. Though as time for my hobby is limited I will leave them as they are for now. A nice paint job on them will hopefully distract from the crude chainmail I have done. Anyway, just four more to do now to finish the preparation before painting.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:43:46 PM by Dr. Moebius »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 09:47:57 PM »
Chain mail looks ok to me but that last one is brilliant  8)

Offline Dr. Moebius

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 09:59:00 PM »
Thank you James.

He is armed with a bastard sword, as far as I know the classical claymore was used far later. Though a huge sword for a bearded scot-viking should be ok for the 14th century as well.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 10:37:33 PM »
They are great. And chainmail too. :-* :-* :-*
Keep it coming.

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 10:46:01 PM »
These guys look superb, especially the last one who is obviously a clan chieftain, in my mind a MacLeod of Lewis, Lewis men were a blood thirsty lot.
Looking forward to seeing them  painted.
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 10:51:02 PM »
All look really great, I also agree the one with the sword if the best. Looking forward to seeing them painted!

Offline Dr. Moebius

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 04:46:30 PM »
These guys look superb, especially the last one who is obviously a clan chieftain, in my mind a MacLeod of Lewis, Lewis men were a blood thirsty lot.
Looking forward to seeing them  painted.

That is quite interesting. I had a short research on this today and it came out with an interesting coat de arms from Torquil MacLeod who lived around 1340 - perfect for my setting.

The coat of arms depict a blue mountain in red flames on a golden shield. Later descriptions mention a black mountain but the record I have found is the oldest by the mid 15th Century

From Wiki: The early MacLeod of Lewis arms pictured right was recorded in the mid 15th century and is blazoned Or, a rock azure in flames gules. Picture taken from wiki as well.

First I thought it looks like a dog pile of s...t with red what ever. But if I will do it more like a rock that might be a way cool coat of arms, very special. I will try a version and will decide to go for the MacLeods or change to another clan.

Thanks
Alex

Offline Dr. Moebius

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 05:25:23 PM »
I could'nt resist and had a very fast try while I had my after work coffee half an hour ago.
What do you think?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:29:30 PM by Dr. Moebius »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 07:27:40 PM »
It looks good! A nice combination of colours.

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 09:44:55 PM »
That is quite interesting. I had a short research on this today and it came out with an interesting coat de arms from Torquil MacLeod who lived around 1340 - perfect for my setting.

The coat of arms depict a blue mountain in red flames on a golden shield. Later descriptions mention a black mountain but the record I have found is the oldest by the mid 15th Century

From Wiki: The early MacLeod of Lewis arms pictured right was recorded in the mid 15th century and is blazoned Or, a rock azure in flames gules. Picture taken from wiki as well.

First I thought it looks like a dog pile of s...t with red what ever. But if I will do it more like a rock that might be a way cool coat of arms, very special. I will try a version and will decide to go for the MacLeods or change to another clan.

Thanks
Alex
You're right the  MacLeods of Lewis heraldry doesnt look up to much, try the MacLeods of Harris much better a black bulls head and I think off  my head two black ships. The MacLeods of Lewis chiefs died out and its the Harris branch that the current chieftain is allegedly descended from.

They were all a pretty violent lot and would fight anyone, I believe the main enemy in the Western Isles were the Morrisons.

Have a look online at the tomb of a chieftain who is buried in Harris, its from the latter part of the 15th century but shows the armour worn quite well, I'm sorry can't  remember the name but its the main church where a nunber of chieftain are buried.

So many MacLeods were killed during one battle in the English Civil War (might have been Worcester fighting for Charles II)  in the 17th  century that they were excused supplying troops in  the later Jacobite rebellions.

I'm not completely sad my mother is a MacLeod from Lewis (and not related in any way to Donald Trumps motber!!)

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 09:49:10 PM »
The church is St Clements in Rodal Harris the chief is Alaisdair MacLeod the 5th chief, im loving your first go at a Lewisman!  :)