Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:57:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tree building with lichen  (Read 826 times)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Tree building with lichen
« on: August 04, 2018, 03:28:04 PM »
Having a number of trees in various stages of presentation, I decided to have a bit of a re-furb. this included adding Lichen to tree armatures and spraying some of my ‘loo brush’ type trees with glue and rolling them in turf flock.

A picture and some discussion is over on the blog LINK
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2018/08/tree-building.html

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Tree building with lichen
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 03:12:22 AM »
Read your post and I wonder about durability with lichen - it will, absolutely, dry out over time and become very 'crumbly'.  I use it all the time to enhance scenery but I put it in resealable plastic bags when done and sprinkle with a few drops of water and that keeps it pliable, lasts for years.

Agree there needs to be a better way to adhere foam to Woodland Scenics armatures, the plastic ones any way.  Don't recall that being such a problem back in the day when the armatures were metal.

I think you might have better luck over time with the Poly Fiber from WS than using lichen.

Deciduous trees are harder to get right than evergreens.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Re: Tree building with lichen
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »
There is quite a lot of debris amongst my bag of lichen that was gifted to me, so I am assuming it is the ‘real’ article, rather than rubberised, so I take the point of drying out and degrading. Something to keep a close eye on and seek out alternatives.