Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:21:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690492
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1/72 Frenchies  (Read 2463 times)

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
1/72 Frenchies
« on: August 06, 2018, 09:05:41 AM »
I have just picked up some Italeri 1/72 French Cav from their waterloo 200 line to see how I like 1/72 scale wargames and these particular models are a strange plastic that doesn't seem to react with standard Revell contacta plastic glue that I use.(the blue and yellow bottle one). Anyone have experience with this range and what glue would work best? super glue doesn't seem to be doing its thing as well I would expect either.
lead count 2022: bought 227 painted :227
score: 0

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: 1/72 Frenchies
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 11:23:17 AM »
Did you remember to wash the figures first in a solution of warm, soapy water?  This removes any grease and release agent (from the mould), which could stop the glue from working.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
They are made from PVC so glue for polystyrene won't work.

Superglue works, even better if you can pin the riders to the horses and then superglue.
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 12:23:03 PM »
They have definitely been washed yes, super glue is working ok for now but I might have to sniff around the local hobby shop and see if they have anything for PVC if such a thing exists.

Anyway here is Frenchy no:1 I have no idea how I'm going to base them, but I'm pretty pleased with the result so far.

Now I just need to work out what rules I am going to use if I ever play so I can work out basing accordingly

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »
Very nice painting.

I have used the "miracle dip" on 1/72 plastic in the past and haven't had any paint flake off after extended use. The "dip" is Minwax wood stain and polyurethane. It also shades and outlines (and darkens). Use in a well ventilated area. It eats brushes, so use cheap ones. Unless you wish to actually dip the figures into the open can.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 10:58:14 AM »
I couldn't help myself I immediately went out a bought some artillery. I painted it up quickly this weekend as a reward for painting a full six of the Carabiniers! I have no discipline when it comes to rank and file, photos of them will follow but the ones I took today just turned out terribly. So by the time i get round to sorting that there might well nine of them done.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 03:11:39 PM »
Looking good
, ,

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »
They look very nice! It would be great if you could post a few more pics!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline JohnFoA

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
Really liking the photos. Thanks for sharing.

I too have found super glue type products work. For extra security I will be pinning, were possible, and running some liquid putty into the joints.

I am thinking that a spray lacquer may stiffen. Over primer but before painting.  Experiments required.

John
On the balance the helicopter gunship is also mightier than the sword

Offline Pinno

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 12:29:38 PM »
I couldn't help myself I immediately went out a bought some artillery. I painted it up quickly this weekend as a reward for painting a full six of the Carabiniers! I have no discipline when it comes to rank and file, photos of them will follow but the ones I took today just turned out terribly. So by the time i get round to sorting that there might well nine of them done.

Who is manufacturer of these,please?

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 08:07:06 AM »
Really liking the photos. Thanks for sharing.

I too have found super glue type products work. For extra security I will be pinning, were possible, and running some liquid putty into the joints.

I am thinking that a spray lacquer may stiffen. Over primer but before painting.  Experiments required.

John

cheers John, I have just stuck to superglue and using all the tricks in the arsenal to give it as strong a bond as possible like pinning and scoring the surfaces that are to be joined. From reading around it seems that short of some sort of horrifyingly corrosive PVC pipe glue there's really nothing for PVC based miniatures that will give the same bond as plastic glue on styrene based plastic miniatures.

Who is manufacturer of these,please?

the carabiniers are Italeri and the gun and crew are plastics from Zvezda.

I like the detail on the Italeri better, it seems to be sharper and a little deeper cut which assists with painting, but the Zvezda are styrene based plastic and as result easier to work with.

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 10:32:45 AM »
I have been slacking on the photos for a few weeks but not the painting(or the buying for that matter). However these couple of posts will be he last for a short while as I paint up some battle companies for the LOTR rules from GW. i have completed a reasonable sized unit of the Carabiniers and as a celebration for my self, I painted a little officer vignette.

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 10:39:38 AM »
I have also buckled down and completed a bunch of infantry, first some line infantry, again these are Italeri models. However I have been shopping around to see how the brands compare and picked up some Strelets Old Guard Grenadiers standing at ease these chaps are a little less neat and tidy than the Italeri or Zvezda however they seem to have a ton of character and were quite nice to paint up. I will post up a comparison of the major brands infantry/horses at some point when I get a few more samples in as hopefully this will be a decent resource for others. I have been looking around and haven't been able to find anything.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 10:45:32 AM »
great stuff.
the carabiniers and old guard look particularly good.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 10:46:36 AM »
Its rare to see anyone painting 1/72 or 20mm these days and yours are great. :-* :-*
Keep it coming.