Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Pulp Alley: Tomb of the Serpent - ongoing campaign - U/D Oct 10th lucky find  (Read 5616 times)

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
I have decided to maintain one thread for future AAR's and general postings for our TOS campaign. We have been playing this campaign for quite some time now. At first we thought it might not take so long, after all it could potentially take only 5 games to finish the campaign. However that has not been the way it has worked out.

Only two out of the four players won their chapter 1 games. Therefore 2 players had to play Cairo Caper to gain a relic. For one player it took only one try to gain a relic. For the other player, well we just gave up on him ever getting a relic after his third attempt...

The three players with relics advanced through the chapter 2 adventures, each playing no more than 2 scenarios. The three players then formed a team to take on the chapter 3 scenarios. They breezed through the Burning Desert scenario, and looked set to powerhouse their way through the Nameless Ruins. However they became victims of having combined themselves into one ad hoc league. Because they were three leagues it meant that 6 cards were drawn per turn to determine what servants they would encounter.  Even though most of them were mounted or had other means to traverse the board in a quick manner they found themselves bogged down by the sheer number of enemies the materialized.

A quick shout out to Dave for making me paint a large number of figures to cover off on all possible card draws  :) I am quite happy to have been inspired to get more of my unpainted figures finished off!

To date we have played the Nameless Ruins 4 times, with victory going to the good guys only once. From the Nameless Ruins we went onto the tomb itself were the much reduced leagues fell to the forces of evil. After this last defeat, the leading league decided to return to Cairo to look for the relic he did not have, and to gain some more experience and reputation. He is determined not to have to rely on other leagues to get back to the tomb. The other league that had attempted the tomb with him disbanded and the player has started a new league, with no better success than the previous league (2 games 2 defeats)

The third league played the Nameless Ruins again and again went down to defeat. A fourth league had to drop out as he had moved back to the Toronto area and strangely did not feel like driving 5 hours to continue playing in the campaign.  lol

So after this past weekend August 4th, one league remains poised at the Nameless Ruins, another is about to leave Cairo for the Burning Desert, and the third league (the newly formed league) remains stuck in Cairo.
Overall the games have been a lot of fun with some good challenges. We have been playing once a month which does make it seem like we have been doing this for a long time, but really we have not played that many games, but certainly more than the 5 that we thought we might get away with.

Here are some pics from last weekend, no AAR for any of the games this time, but more at my blog.

http://menelduir.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:38:24 AM by Menelduir »
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
Re: Pulp Alley: Tomb of the Serpent - ongoing campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »
Fabulous terrain and figures, I hope you post more .

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:23:17 PM »
 Wow! What a beautiful looking game. Who makes the buildings and that glorious bus?  :-*
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 12:27:35 AM »
Thank you

Blue door buildings are by Crescent Root, they arrived pre-assembled and ready to go.
Interior buildings, the museum, are from Sally 4th.

The bus was a lucky flea market find. It is made by Solido, it is a 1/50 1934 Renault bus.

Offline Matt

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:08:53 AM »
Great looking games!  I don’t have TOS yet, but the structure sounds interesting.  Look forward to seeing more of your campaign as it develops.

Matt

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 05:03:00 PM »
Superb!    :-* :-* :-*

These Crescent Root buildings have been on my Wish List for some time...it's great to see them in action.

A wonderful setting with tons of character. A joy to behold.
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 05:08:33 PM »
Great market stalls, a lovely bit of colour and character.

Offline sglancy12

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 05:42:04 PM »
There's so much damn talent on this site I that I rarely get the time to say how impressed I am with their work. But this stuff? Holy cow. This is damn fine work.

A. Scott Glancy
A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 05:54:51 PM »
It's nice to see ,a large collection of crescent root buildings on one table. Definitely sell a kidney price range this side of the pond.I do have their station set very versitle it is too its been dockside buildings(as I think part of yours has.)An airport,and a village,as well as the station .I wish I could have afforded the large domed building as well. But Hay ho, I ended up have to improvise and use Supreme little designs buildings. (I did a short thread on how to achieve the crescent look on other buildings
It's nice to see some budget conscious items blending in nicely with the crescent stuff. Be it second hand buses,or the paper boat re enforcing the storytelling / table theme.

Should add a few more pictures from your blog though  ;)

Mark.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 09:06:22 PM »
THANKS for sharing your progress. This really sound a truly epic adventure.  :o

Excellent report! I am excited to see this continue.

I feel like there is a bit of a learning to curve to some of the scenarios, and they tend to be a easier on the 2nd (or 4th) time through.  ;)

Really like that desk and file cabinet in the last photo.  :D :D

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 02:28:24 AM »
It's nice to see ,a large collection of crescent root buildings on one table. Definitely sell a kidney price range this side of the pond.I do have their station set very versitle it is too its been dockside buildings(as I think part of yours has.)An airport,and a village,as well as the station .I wish I could have afforded the large domed building as well. But Hay ho, I ended up have to improvise and use Supreme little designs buildings. (I did a short thread on how to achieve the crescent look on other buildings
It's nice to see some budget conscious items blending in nicely with the crescent stuff. Be it second hand buses,or the paper boat re enforcing the storytelling / table theme.

Should add a few more pictures from your blog though  ;)

Mark.

First off thanks for the comments
I have to say this side of the border and with the Canadian dollar rarely performing any where close to par, the Crescent Root building certainly impacted on my budget too. Oh well the pension fund was just sitting there anyways.
Loved the buildings when I first saw them used by Ivor on his Saturday mornings blog.
More dollars than sense I suppose.

Should have said thank you to you a while back for putting me onto Supreme Littleness Designs and for your thread on painting them. Yes it was a short thread, hoping for more nudge nudge  ;)  (what blue paint do you use on the door?)

Used your ideas on some Tabla Rasa buildings from Knights of Dice too.

I always hesitate on posting too many pictures, kind of thought we were not supposed to go too pic heavy.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 02:30:36 AM »
Really like that desk and file cabinet in the last photo.  :D :D

Thanks Dave.

Gee I wonder where I got the desks and cabinets, if only I could remember...

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 06:43:53 AM »
I always hesitate on posting too many pictures, kind of thought we were not supposed to go too pic heavy.

Oh, don't be silly - the more the better! Some stirling work here, so far better to flaunt it.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 08:59:07 PM »
I have to agree with the doodler. The more the merrier. Never quite got my head round threads that are little more than a link.I like to see plenty of pictures here.not be sent on a quest across the ether.to find what someone's on about.

In all honesty I couldn't justify the expense so mine came via a trade/barter for a sculpt.

The paint I used was, Game colour electric blue.

I've recently finished a back of beyond Armoured train in card . So the next challenge was for a medival castle so I'll add something relevant to that (since you asked ;) )

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 09:58:33 PM »
Oh, don't be silly - the more the better! Some stirling work here, so far better to flaunt it.

Total agree. If you've got photos of games and figures post them!