Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:11:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 530
Total: 536

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Wargaming Survey is back!  (Read 2484 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: The Great Wargaming Survey is back!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 07:42:58 PM »
Done. Added a bit at the end regarding social media outlets/platforms as they becoming a bigger part of the hobby.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 10:58:04 AM »
It may have been interesting to ask people what the three most played games they play. In order of frequency played. If only to follow trends again. I know it would only capture a snapshot.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Praefectusclassis

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »
Yeah, we thought about that, but we really don't want to make it a popularity contest.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »
Happily filled in

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 11:42:12 AM »
Done
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
Done - I also took the opportunity to suggest that Christy's painting tutorials resume. They are a really great resource!

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
Done

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 03:26:33 PM »
Done :)

And regarding the fantasy/scifi vs historical divide (if there is even such a thing), I came into this hobby along the fantasy/scifi angle, and have been into those ever since. But interestingly enough, growing older, I'm actually developing an interest in historical games.

So if I am any indication of the wargaming population at large, and fantasy/scifi gamers do slowly shift towards the historical side of the spectrum, I'd say the abundance of fantasy/scifi tables at a convention is a good thing, as it means that there must be more young people involved... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
Done

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 10:00:48 AM »
Done. Added a bit at the end regarding social media outlets/platforms as they becoming a bigger part of the hobby.

Same here, I was rather surprised at the lack of social media answers to the question at the end of the survey. I forget the exact question - it may have been something like "how do you keep up to date with wargaming news" and the answer for me is social media. I see far more activity on e.g. Facebook than on forums. Could be selection bias though.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 10:55:10 AM »
@Daeother - I agree and was pretty much my response to the chap on facebook. If I wasn't brought into the hobby by GW, who gave me my first proper lessions in miniature painting and of course, wargming, then I wouldn't be a wargamer. Since those formative days in my early teens I have bought and collected historicals. I am picky when it comes to rules because my focus now is more painting and model making and I like character so am heavily a skirmish gamer, I try and avoid mass battle games that take a long time to play. So games like SAGA.

@Social media - agreed, as much as I don't like it. I really don't like facebook or twitter for hobby based stuff. It's great for short span things, but is really utterly useless for project logs of the quality we see on LAF and other forums, sometimes years in the making. And it's really poor for post longevity as you tend to find posts get lost very quickly. Perhaps I am a bit oldschool - but I like knowing that a thread by Andy.M, Jim or Hubbabubba (to name but a few I regularly sub to) isn't going anywhere and I can easily find them and visit and refer to them as I like.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 01:43:00 PM »
@Social media - agreed, as much as I don't like it. I really don't like facebook or twitter for hobby based stuff. It's great for short span things, but is really utterly useless for project logs of the quality we see on LAF and other forums, sometimes years in the making. And it's really poor for post longevity as you tend to find posts get lost very quickly. Perhaps I am a bit oldschool - but I like knowing that a thread by Andy.M, Jim or Hubbabubba (to name but a few I regularly sub to) isn't going anywhere and I can easily find them and visit and refer to them as I like.

Yep, agree in general. FB works for quick updates and for news etc., but is literally useless as an archive.