Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:48:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: a UPS Canada rant  (Read 4286 times)

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: a UPS Canada rant
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »

That would be rare.
Airmail from the EU - anywhere - is usually 1-3 weeks. From the US typically 2 weeks.

What you’re talking about is a lost parcelt.

I stand by my earlier post - Airmail items take a lot longer to arrive at destination in Canada than, say the US, Australia, New Zealand and its a puzzle why this should be. And I’m not talking about lost parcels. They do arrive but very, very slowly. Strange.

Doug

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 02:45:56 PM »
Another Canadian who dislikes UPS here.  Though for my last few Shapeways orders where I knew it was coming from them I managed (somehow - don't remember now) got them to hold the package for me at their office so I could pick it up, averting the random acts of delivery they were prone to.

I dislike using couriers in general for their habit of charging me $30 for the privilege of paying customs, but I will say if you search through Fed-Ex you can sometimes find some deals to suggest to vendors.  I bought some buildings from someone via a private transaction and his initial searches showed shipping from the US to Canada would be about $75 for $80 worth of stuff, but I dug up a Fed-Ex option that was about $30.

A UK vendor found a rarely used Royal Mail "surface" shipping option that was cheap and ended up arriving in a week (we both suspect they ended up just sticking it on a plane anyway).

@Andrew - I usually prefer signed-for shipping nowadays anyway, though that has more to do with my neighbourhood.

Chris

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »
I stand by my earlier post - Airmail items take a lot longer to arrive at destination in Canada than, say the US, Australia, New Zealand and its a puzzle why this should be. And I’m not talking about lost parcels. They do arrive but very, very slowly. Strange.

Doug

As I said in an earlier post, they’re probably sleeping on the selves of the custom agency… you can see that when following the tracking number. It show package following a normal path for some time, then “disappear” from the system when reaching the border and reappear a week or two (or more) later on for the rest of their journey to delivery.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 12:45:32 AM »
Though for my last few Shapeways orders where I knew it was coming from them I managed (somehow - don't remember now) got them to hold the package for me at their office so I could pick it up, averting the random acts of delivery they were prone to.

You can get a package sent to, and held at a Postal Outlet of your choice, the service is called Flexdelivery:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/personal/receiving/alternative-delivery/flexdelivery.page?ecid=murl|pdn|lh|297
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 08:20:54 PM »
I ended up receiving my figures but it was REALLY COMPLICATED. I had to miss work hours and go to the industrial district. It took a little more than two hours in the city bus, going around in circles, because there’s no direct circuit for the place where’s the reception center of UPS Canada is located.

Once there, the person at the counter thought my package was not there. I had to wait several minutes for this person to retrace my package in the system to finally get it. I had to pay the $ 80 brokerage fee. By the way, after many e-mails with the people at UPS, I was clearly told that I could pay the fees with my debit card... which was absolutely not true at the end of the day. Fortunately, I had planned ahead and I had, with me, a check for the exact amount.

In short, I ended up having my figures but it was so complicated, so long and it took me so much time that I'm sure I will not order large quantities of figures directly from Warlords Games ever again… just because they send them via UPS

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 10:09:06 PM »
Calimero is absolutely correct. UPS suck big time to Canada. Besides the any delivery difficulties there is the mountain of extra fees and taxes you are forcing your customers to pay. Brokerage fees, taxes on fees, etc, etc.

Companies that ship via UPS do not get my business unless they are sole source. And then I have to be desperate.

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 12:47:55 AM »
Just a thought,
Has anyone complained to UPS about the shirty service.
I'm sure the customer complaints people would like that video footage of the cockwomble throwing the package

Offline Burnt65

• Scientist
    • KEGS gaming site
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 02:09:56 AM »
I get the same fees from FedEx - I think the fees are not courier specific

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 03:10:37 AM »
The fees are for all couriers.  They are not party to the international agreement that post offices are exempt from brokerage fees.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 07:19:27 PM »
Just a thought,
Has anyone complained to UPS about the shirty service.
I'm sure the customer complaints people would like that video footage of the cockwomble throwing the package
If you see my post previously up the thread, you'll see there's actually been a class-action over the brokerage fees. Someone having tossed scads of lawyers at UPS seems to have been rather more effective than embarrassing youtube videos.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.