Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:26:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690717
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Divisional marking for Royal Marine Commando Bren Carriers?  (Read 881 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Divisional marking for Royal Marine Commando Bren Carriers?
« on: August 08, 2018, 08:56:43 PM »
So does anyone know offhand the divisional marking number/colour for a Royal Marine Commando Bren carrier?

Been hunting my own images and the web. Nothing.

All help appreciated.

Oh, and probably 48 Commando at D Day.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Re: Divisional marking for Royal Marine Commando Bren Carriers?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 10:13:40 PM »
The standard organisation of Commando did not have any armoured vehicles. Indeed the motor vehicles allocated were for admin and training not combat.
What is your source for them having a universal carrier?I
The only AFVs I have seen with RM markings are the Centaurs and vehicles of the armoured support group.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 10:16:45 PM »
http://www.warlordgames.com/rules-47-royal-marine-commando/

Mark Barber article, albeit for 47 Commando.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 10:42:55 PM »
The Marine's only had the Centaur IVs and Sherman Vs of the armoured support group, anything else would have been Canadian, from memory I know 48 commando had assistance from 4th battery Centaurs and a Canadian M10 to assault a strongpoint in the beach area.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:48:37 PM by voltan »
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:22:48 PM »
Thanks guys.

I’m doing a commission and the patron has two carriers.

I went with the RM Commando logo on the passenger side and left the driver side blank.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 01:28:32 AM »
I forget the exact number, but each Commando did have a handful of Carriers on strength.  Found in the Support Troop, if memory serves? 

For 1 Special Service Brigade, the Arm-of-Service marking was a red square with '81' in white.  For 4 Special Service Brigade, the marking was a red-over-black square with '100' in white.  They don't appear to have used different numbers for different Commandos.

I'm not sure if they used a formation sign - the Armoured Support Regiments didn't, but it was probably the circular combined services badge - red on dark blue.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 02:59:01 AM »
Thanks for that!

I searched high and low.

The decided end result:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111230.0

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 09:15:57 AM »
Best idea, there's always a chance they'd borrowed some wether they were supposed to have any or not. ;) The main problem is they changed their organisations were flexible to suit the job they were doing and it seems the army commandos used a different organisation to the Royals.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 03:11:58 PM »
I have never seen a verified reference to AFVs in any Commando as they were light infantry raiding forces.  (if anyone has such a reference then I'd be glad to add it to my files) Jeeps yes but Carriers?  However, there were the Royal Marine 116th and 117th Infantry Brigades (not Commandos) which were organised very much like standard infantry brigades and so did have carriers (including flamethrowing Wasps). 

That said they well have acquired support from a neighbouring battalion, a Royal Artillery OP, a Carrier or two from a Machine Gun Company, picked up a lost or abandoned Carrier - who is to say?  It is the customer's force and "the customer is always right".