Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp commando league sculpt (WIP)  (Read 2070 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Pulp commando league sculpt (WIP)
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »
A quick project for Chris. A little tweaking here and there still to go. A slightly different in approach to the notion of heroic figures .,aiming for more user friendly poses that will work in multiple locations,not just charging across the battle field.(tends not to work for indoor settings ,or on ships.)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Pulp commando league sculpt (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:11:59 PM »
Excellent work!  ;)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 12:50:33 AM »
Love the concept, and the work is outstanding. First rate!
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Matt

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »
Great looking figures.  I really like #2 & 3.  Agree with your thoughts on poses.

The first guy seems a little out of place with the other 3.  He looks more post-modern zombie apocalypse, the others mid-20th century.  The hat and weapon set him apart for me.

Matt

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 01:47:42 PM »

These are very nice but… Who’s Chris? Will these figures be available from a manufacturer, if so, which one?

I’m sorry if I miss the info but I really like the figures you show on this thread and on others but can’t find where to buy them… but maybe that’s just me lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 06:09:55 PM »
Memory fails me... who's the first one supposed to (not) be? And that oddly modern-looking gun?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 07:19:06 PM »
 lol
You know that bit of tweaking here & there. Well it's here on the gun,and it's not there yet.(it is a WIP  ;))
It does sit uncomfortably with the other three,as the idea was to blend the comics and the movie.  When I was asked for a Howling commando set.
I planned on all eight. Brief  only came through for four figures.

Cal,

I'm free lance so you'd need to be more specific on sculpts,and threads.(otherwise I can't tell you which are with which company.)
These are for Sally 4th(Chris Abbey).

(It's the movie commando Jim.)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 07:41:21 PM »

Cool! I’m pretty sure other where for Sally 4th too... You're the one behind the WWII British motorcyclists too, right?

Offline Matt

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »
I looked up the movie character, and I see what you were going towards.  I think he needs something solidly WW2.  The movie pic I saw he was carrying an M3 grease gun.  I think he would look cool with a M1 garand rifle with bayonet, or a BAR.

Look forward to seeing your finished work.

Matt

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 03:46:03 AM »
This is all kinds of awesome!! Will the shield for Cap be attached to his arm or will it be a separate piece, where we might be able to place it on his back?

Please oh please oh please can we get the other four   lol

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »
Cal,
The motorcycles will be at 1st corps miniatures soon(ish).

Ivor,

The shield is built on. I'd already tried having it separate. But a shield arm is a shield arm on a miniature . It's not impossible to do but technically a bit iffy to make an arm to reliably hold a shield,and then not look like a shield arm when the shield is removed. The amount of tweaking required would put it squarely over budget.
So I  went with built on the arm.As putting it on his back just made him look like an ordinary bloke from any angle but back. This pose the shield is visible from pretty much every angle.

Matt some nice suggestions. But I've gone a little more exotic. Still as chunky as a Bar,and the original ( which means I  can get away without altering the pose too much.)a Danuvia. Model 43,if a little stylised .(the photo has a 39m , the 43 has a folding stock.I've shortened it on the figure as it looked unbelievable and out of scale.full length.)

As for another four commandos. I've not been commissioned . So its only this four.Unless Chris decided otherwise.

Mark.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:20:11 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Matt

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 10:31:47 PM »
Mark, that looks great.  Never heard of the Danuvia rifle, but I think it fits perfectly. 

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »
Matt,
It's a sub machine gun the stock and magazine fold into the furniture( bit of artist licence having the stock folded). It uses Mauser 9mm. Way more powerful than any other 9mm (about as hard hitting as you can get before a rifle round).BSA had the license in the UK its another one of the also ran. That the British tested in the late 30's.
Mainly used on the eastern front, by the Hungarians . German classification m43(ü). If I remember correctly.

I'll be handing them over to Chris at Partizan next Sunday.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 04:13:44 PM »
Awesome miniatures as always Mark, these are away being cast at the moment to be added to Sally 4th Classic Movies range. I think that we can say quiet categorically that the other 4 miniatures are going to be added to the league, it's a bit incomplete otherwise!

The Howling Commando's set was chosen by the backers of Sally 4ths most recent Classic Movie Miniatures Kickstarter. As soon as we get castings hopefully next week or the following week and have got them out to backers they will be on our website for normal sales.

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Sally-4th-Miniatures
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk