Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yermak and the Conquest of Siberia  (Read 63062 times)

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
Re: Yermak and the Conquest of Siberia
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 01:01:34 PM »
To our great regret, our Russian manufacturers of miniatures are not at all interested in this period. Nobody makes the Russian army of the 16th-17th centuries. Alas! :'(

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 01:52:01 PM »
  :o >:( :-[
Mark

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »
The assault group makes Muscovite troops for that period - including Streltsy and cavalry. As well, they make Ukrainian cossacks with Polish style scalp locks and moustaches. I wonder if those could be converted with greenstuff to become Muscovite cossacks?

Do any of the Russian members have pictures of what Muscovite cossacks would wear in the 1500 and 1600's?

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 04:41:00 PM »
Friends. The general concept was that the Cossacks had no uniform at that time. They dressed and armed in something they had enough money for. The richer had good weapons and clothing, the poor often walked in ordinary peasant clothesI think that the miniatures of Old Glory can be used. And information about the Russian army of that time can be found in this book:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:00:15 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 09:26:31 AM »
For such a game, first of all, models of river ships will be needed, since Ermak's army moved exclusively along the rivers. For the same reason, the part of the images cited above, in cavalry armor, is not suitable for creating an army of Russian Cossacks.
The Ermak expedition was a private enterprise of the Ural merchants, the brothers Stroganov. Their money was hired and armed with Cossacks. The detachment also employed a significant number of captured Litvin captured during the Livonian War and sent to settle the Urals.
Ermak's detachment, like a commercial expedition, was superbly armed with the most modern European weapons, including light naval artillery. The opponents of the Cossacks had no firearms.

I planned to make a ruler of figures for this period, but the idea was abandoned as commercially unpromising. This is a little-known conflict in the West, and, accordingly, there will be no great demand for such figures. One Russian demand will not cover the cost of work.

I even still have unfinished Cossack rowing boat:

Although this game promises very interesting scenarios. For example, the river was blocked by a chain, on both banks there are Tatars, and to the Cossacks in order to break through, it is necessary to unhook the chain on one of the banks.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:30:50 AM by cuprum »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 09:42:29 AM »
Here there is someone's self-made clip for personal creativity. The clip is cut from fragments of the feature film "Ermak". And although the quality is low, one can get some idea of how the Cossacks acted during the campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swLL5XLSegU

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »
Thank you for your input.Shame there's not more interest.I really like to find out about wars and campaigns of other nations besides the US,and UK.We have plenty of info on these countries.I saw a couple of books on the Siberian Conquest at Amazon.I will have to get these.
Mark

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2018, 12:29:53 AM »
Andrei, thanks for all the pictures!

They answer my question. Yermak's cossacks would have looked roughly like streltsy. Marco could make them from the TAG Muscovy range. Maybe some head swaps to make them look like gentry wearing metal helmets.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2018, 12:45:56 AM »
I think that for the conversion of the figures of the Streltsys it will be necessary to add some armor (chain mail or quilted), since the Tatars actively used bows in battle.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2018, 01:32:48 AM »
I think that for the conversion of the figures of the Streltsys it will be necessary to add some armor (chain mail or quilted), since the Tatars actively used bows in battle.

They could wear the chain mail under their coats?

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2018, 01:59:24 AM »
In the Russian tradition was a multi-layer armor - the simultaneous use of chain mail, often reinforced with lamillar inserts, and soft armor. This was the most effective combination of armor for confronting oriental archers and their excellent cavalry. But in this particular case, apparently, the armor was not used by all, since there was a great danger of falling into the water and drowning under its weight.
That's how Ermak died ...

The armor under the clothes was not worn, but, in my opinion, create from the "green" elements of the armor under the equipment is not very difficult. Also in battle, many Cossacks, I think, use different helmets. They could be different models - Russian, European, Turkish...

Here, I think, are the most characteristic variants of full armament:

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2018, 03:20:23 AM »
The bottom guy's head gear - Is it padded soft armour over a hard inner frame?

I have seen this strange helmet before....

Of course, Yermak's men would also look similar to any other Muscovite army in the 1500's? So you could use them for the Battle of Kazan or War in Livonia?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:22:38 AM by huevans »

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2018, 03:52:38 AM »
It was made on cotton wool of cloth, silk or paper fabrics, sometimes reinforced with chain mail and quilted.

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2018, 03:54:37 AM »
Another drawing of the "paper cap":