Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dice for A World Aflame?  (Read 2127 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Dice for A World Aflame?
« on: August 09, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »
All,
     So it seems I will need Average Dice and D3s to play this.  Any idea where I can get a couple of each without breaking the bank?
                                                                                               Nick

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Re: Dice for A World Aflame
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 08:33:54 PM »
D3 - take a D6 and divide by 2 (1 or 2 = 1, 3  or 4 = 2, higher is 3, role playing games have used this method since the 1970’s. You’ll be pleased to know there is no need to buy new dice. This is the method described in the rules - see “equipment needed”).

Average dice - try here https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/2249/Chessex-Opaque-Yellow-Black-Average-D6-Dice  or http://highland-games.co.uk/shop/average-dice/ or buy blank dice and make your own.

Average dice were hugely popular with WRG style rules in the 1980’s and can be really useful where rule writers wish to avoid extreme chance. (Alternative, use a normal D6 but treat a 1 as an extra 3 and a 6 as an extra 4. This method avoids you buying any extra dice).

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:41:54 PM by Sparrow »
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Re: Dice for A World Aflame?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 08:51:25 PM »

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 11:01:16 PM »
Sparrow,
              Thanks, I will definitely use your advice.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 01:09:54 AM »
I found some dice sized wooden cubes I had forgotten.  Making Average Dice and D3s.

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 12:38:27 PM »
Nick,

I'd be interested in how you get on with the rules as I've recently bought a set and am painting up some SCW figures at the moment in hopes of an exciting game.
Keep us posted/AAR etc. please.

Regards

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 09:40:24 PM »
We’ve got a game on tomorrow night.  :D

We think these rules are a perfect base to adapt for our interwar needs. They have some cool features (and some glaring holes) I think the AWAf rules have been limited by the Osprey book format.

For D3s and Average Dice we use regular dice as above, i.e. for Average Dice 1=3 & 6=4 nd for D3 halve and round up  :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:35:37 PM by Captain Darling »
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 09:51:26 PM »
Having played once, solo, I am less than thrilled by AWAF.  It strikes me as far too fiddly, and requires constant flipping of pages. Too many tests!  I'm sure if you wrote the rules, they work perfectly.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 06:14:51 AM »
The rules have a certain style to then that make them marmite like for gamers (for non UK gamers, marmite is yeast based food substance that divides us between those who love and those who despise it!). The rules harken back (as the author states at the outset) to the days of Charles Grant when gaming had a simple feel and rules didn’t try to cover every aspect but rather encourage gamers to think and adapt as they think  best. In short, they don’t seek to spoon feed you.

I think this approach is really well suited to the Interwar period and I have had some brilliant games with these rules. I started on SCW but am now starting to collect RCW and Freikorps/Spartacists to use with them. It’s clear the Osprey edit did them no favours but I can live with that. (I was fortunate enough to help play test the originals so perhaps, in fairness, I can afford to be more understanding here)

I can get why some gamers won’t like them (as I’ve said before, wouldn’t it be a horrible world if we were all the same?) but, as you’ll have gathered I really like them (but then, I also like marmite!).

All I can suggest is try them and see if they work for you (like any rule set, though, you might find you need a few games before you can come to any valid opinion).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:32:38 AM by Sparrow »

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »
Funny, I see them as actually trying to cover every eventuality.  There are die rolls for weather, ammo. officer quality, and too many reasons to check morale to keep up with.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 06:43:30 PM »
Oh well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps they are just not the sort of rules for you?

You may like marmite though   ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:45:09 PM by Sparrow »

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »
I'm playing another solo action now.  I seem to be getting on much better.

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 10:57:44 PM »
Yeah rules are 'horses to courses' we like these and are adapting them with own embellishments. Good luck with them!

We played a game last night, continuing our Great antipodean Adventure. It was a bit one sided a Union Mob took on some Australian Army infantry a bit like Zulus vs Redcoats... :D

The tabletop mid game...