Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:18:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690460
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question(s) about new warlord games Desert Rats  (Read 4949 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Question(s) about new warlord games Desert Rats
« on: August 09, 2018, 10:14:28 PM »
Not even close to knowledgeable about british uniforms for the second world war so thought i'd ask here:

- What is the earliest the new plastic sprue can be used? By that I mean could it be used pre-war? Say VBCW/1938.

- Would the western desert be the only campaign it could be used in, could it be used for early far east?

- Would the indian heads be useable for indische legion conversions?

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Re: Question(s) about new warlord games Desert Rats
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 04:06:35 AM »
...Anyone?

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 05:58:22 AM »
Have not seen the Desert Rats, but if logic follows then I'm sure they can be used right up to the invasion of Italy and also be used in the Far East.

Best of luck with your project.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline NTM

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 08:12:35 AM »
The same uniforms were worn in the Far East

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 10:17:27 AM »
'Bren Pouches' and '37 pattern webbing would limit their backwards compatibility before '38, or if we are realistic '40; there were a lot of men issued older LBE at the start of WWII.

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 10:22:01 AM »
'Bren Pouches' and '37 pattern webbing would limit their backwards compatibility before '38, or if we are realistic '40; there were a lot of men issued older LBE at the start of WWII.

If I‘m not completely mistaken you‘d also need to model your own gas mask pouches?

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 04:12:22 AM »
Lack of gas mask pouches is not a problem as my idea involves them being used as buf 'black shorts'.

Thanks for everyones input.

Here are pics of some painted up and the sprue from warlords site for reference.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 09:06:35 AM »
I would use them mate

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 10:22:38 AM »
Personally I think they're pretty hideous. The squat, scuttling poses make them look more like goblins than men. Also, not great value - just 6 different bodies in the Warlord set, against 14 in the Perry set. The Perry set is immeasurably better IMHO, but yes, perishingly small - whereas I'm sure these will be standard large 28mm. Also, I have to say, the inclusion of both Muslim and Sikh Indian infantry heads, as well as the tam o'shanters is a significant bonus with the Warlord set. I guess it depends if you like the 'chunky munchkin' style of wargames figure or not.

For the early war in the far east, these would certainly pass muster. Until 1942 khaki drill was standard issue in the far east as well as the middle east. The lightweight cellular jungle green uniform wasn't introduced in the far east until 1942. Steel helmets and webbing would have been the same. The only difference was that British troops in the far east commonly wore a felt bush hat with puggaree, one side of the brim turned up. (I've a photo somewhere of my father wearing precisely this uniform - although I don't know if that was taken when he was in Madagascar or out in the far east).

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 11:00:54 AM »
I don't know if it is the lighting, but that is one hideous flesh pink they've used there. Whilst there are one or two good poses (and an arm wielding a pickaxe on the sprue!) the officer in particular looks as though he's had a heavy weight dropped on him from a great height. The faces however actually look normal for a change, I'm not a fan of these gurning caricatures that Artizan and some others turn out I'm afraid.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »
Like the Capt said
I guess it depends if you like the 'chunky munchkin' style of wargames figure or not
....sorta reminds me of Dixon Miniatures....which during their time (when most of us were young and in good shape...so a long long time ago! ;D ) were fine but figures today now actually look like real people....which is suppose to be the point of the exercise. I also still get the feeling looking at Warlord's plastics that I am reading 'Commando' magazine or something similar.... Oh well, to each his/her own....if you like these, then great, buy them. I like the Perry WW2 plastics but the small size does make them difficult to match with anything else.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 11:14:21 AM »
I like them a lot, they do have that Warlord/Victor comic book look to them but like them more for that. They will fit well with the Artizan desert range (which lacks Tommies)

I wanted to like the perry stuff but the weird scale is reminiscent of Airfix.

If the sprues are like the late war winter germans they are great minis, plenty of variety and kit for modding other figures too. Certainly something I would go for in the future (though at present more interested in Western front)

For BUF I would go for it mate, they can be in light order and would work well as nasty chaps for 1936

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
To be honest, with the Perry set giving 38 superb figures for £20, I have no idea why Warlord even bothered releasing 36 of their dodgy toy style figures for (presumably) £24-£28-ish.

The Perry mins have more accurate 28mm foot-to-eye scaling and realistic proportions than a lot of the other mainstream companies, but to my mind that has always been a point in their favour. With the value for money combined with quality and range you get from Perry, frankly they are where I start looking and if another company's model aren't compatible, I don't buy them!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
I will give them a miss, as I mentioned elsewhere, I have standardised on Perry  with a side order of Rubicon for North Africa.  Of course I do need to actually finish painting them (^__^).

For VBCW, I would think the Hicks figures from Empress would be better, that is what I am using for British for Sea Lion battles (together with some BAM early British).
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=97132.msg1204579#msg1204579
Very old photograph.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 01:42:22 PM »
To be honest, with the Perry set giving 38 superb figures for £20, I have no idea why Warlord even bothered releasing 36 of their dodgy toy style figures for (presumably) £24-£28-ish.

The Perry mins have more accurate 28mm foot-to-eye scaling and realistic proportions than a lot of the other mainstream companies, but to my mind that has always been a point in their favour. With the value for money combined with quality and range you get from Perry, frankly they are where I start looking and if another company's model aren't compatible, I don't buy them!

I agree, it is the most complete range and they have very good business sense by leading cornering the theatre with their (25mm/28mm) minis as they don`t match with others. I don't blame them to be honest its a clever move