Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Vimeiro 1808, 15mm Black Powder  (Read 987 times)

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
Battle of Vimeiro 1808, 15mm Black Powder
« on: August 10, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »
Last Friday at New Buckenham seven players plus an umpire got together for a refight of the Battle of Vimeiro in 1808. This time 15mm was to be the scale and Black Powder at 50% distances the rules.

The battlefield

The British started with Hill's brigade on the ridge at top right, south of Vimeiro itself. Anstruther And Fane's brigades on the hill in front of Vimeiro. Acland on the end of the centre ridge and the cavalry in the centre in reserve. Ferguson, Bowes and Nightingall's brigades were hidden behind the ridge between Acland and the buildings of Ventosa on the northern end of the ridgeline. These three brigades would remain hidden unless they moved or the French crested the ridge. The buildings of Toledo can be seen left of centre.

Trant's Portuguese and Craufurds brigades were due to arrive at some point during the game.

The French start with the brigades of Charlot, Thomieres and Kellermann facing Vimeiro with the cavalry division of Marraron in support. The brigades of Brenier and Solignac out of sight on a flanking march to the northern, near end of the table.

As usual I played on the British side and as the experienced Black Powder player of the three commanders I was given the role of Wellesley as well as command of Anstruther and Fane's brigades.

Lets just say things didn't go well. The French players were much better organised than their historical counterparts and rolled superb saving and break test dice all evening, whist the British players, despite some blinding shooting and attack rolls, threw terrible saving and break test dice in reply.

A few photos of the battle follow, the result of which would have seen Wellesley retreating back to the coast and the hoped for safety of the Royal Navy.

Vimeiro and the starting positions

Bit messy in the centre

The left flank near Ventosa

More details can be found on my blog at Jabba's Wargaming

Tony.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Re: Battle of Vimeiro 1808, 15mm Black Powder
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »
Enjoyed your blog - thank you.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Battle of Vimeiro 1808, 15mm Black Powder
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 03:13:41 AM »
Nice looking game in a fine 'scale' of miniatures, if I say so myself!   lol

Seems LAF is going through one of its periods of moribundness, perhaps a consequence of August vacations or perhaps the heat - and smoke or actual flames, sadly, for some - are putting a damper on enthusiasm.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:57:38 PM by FifteensAway »