Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:55:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm rules - what is your favourite?  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
6mm rules - what is your favourite?
« on: August 10, 2018, 07:32:44 PM »
We are going to go back to playing Spearhead but anything else worth a look for 6mm?

Looking for Brigade scale forces most likely but anything considered.

Ta
Rich

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: 6mm rules - what is your favourite?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:58:35 PM »
There’s:

GHQ Micro Armour and Micro Squad
Battlegroup (not specific for 6mm but works really well)

Those are my favourites for 6mm.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Basin is BACK

• Assistant
    • Hrothgar's Shed
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 10:47:31 AM »
Off the top of my head there's Blitzkrieg Commander, although that might be closer to battalion scale (I haven't got a firm grasp on unit level scales so take this with a pinch of salt).
If you have limited play space Chain of Command claims to be playable with 6 mm figures in centimetres, although as it's platoon level that might be a little outside your remit :p. Also from TFL is I Ain't Been Shot Mum which is company level and may be more suitable.

Just throwing some ideas out there.
No battle plan ever survives first contact with the dice.
Check out my blog! http://hrothgarsshed.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »

While I second the GHQ rules, FOW might be worth considering - though ostensibly 15mm, its ground scale is almost perfect for 6mm. It's also well supported, with plenty of books covering the major periods/theatres.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 10:57:33 PM »
Actually, FoW does work for 6mm very well. I ran a campaign waaaaaay back during fow 2nd edition? in 6mm.

Also keep in mind that FoW isn’t terribly historical, and is prone to really inane rules like the Canadian Lumberjack rule.

It’s a bit too bad as the mechanics are fine - they would be better if tightened up historically.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 12:23:26 AM »
I've been playing a lot of Jagdpanzer 2nd Edition with Jim Leach's micro-armor in Jim's Basement:

http://jagdpanzer.com/index.html

Although the rules are currently OOP, if you email the author and ask nicely, he'll sell you a PDF.

JP rules can be played in 15mm but 6mm works better, IMO. The rules are scaled at 1 model = 1 of the real thing, so you build forces for the actual TOs that are included in the rule book.

We have played some big multi-player games that approached brigade level, but a player has his hands very full running a battalion + artillery support. I think the JP rules work better with two or more players splitting command of a reinforced and supported battalion.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 11:57:56 AM »

I agree with Grant with regards to FOW - solid game mechanic with some questionably silly special faction rules (still worth considering though).
 There's also Panzer War (panzer-war.com - it's a pretty detailed system, so it depends on how much 'crunch' you like in your rules, I think it's pretty good but isn't to all my gaming groups taste due to the level of detail (it's also a free).

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 09:22:27 PM »
Thanks all - lots of food for thought!

FOW has been roundly rejected locally after the latest edition by our FOW die hards...

I'll take a look at the suggested rulesets

Cheers!
Rich

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 09:53:28 PM »
Some years ago we played a lot of „Mein Panzer“. Complex rules for WW2.
I loved the idea of introducing each part as a modul (Infantry, tanks, observers, planes, and so on). To com in the rules you need some time, but it is worth to do it.

Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 10:07:47 PM »
Not heard of that one...  Interesting...

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 02:17:42 PM »
Consdidering what the OP asks:

1) 6mm
2) brigade size forces

I also admit that in 6mm I think larger games with platoon scale stands are my preference...

I will present my extremely well considered suggestions, that are, being based on my infinite and supreme wisdom, the final word in superior rule sets  :D (to be clear it was just a silly joke  lol )

1) Spearhead: I found them the best rules for brigade/divisions. They are not overly complex, there is differentiation between individual platoons, the different tanks behave differently, and, on the table, battalions and companies work as battalions and companies. Some people dislike it because they tell me,  the rules do not give players sufficient freedom. I always counteract that it is because those players become fixated with single stands rather than formation. 

2) Command Decision: same level, more detail. I like the armor system quite a lot. It gives player a bit more freedom on the single stand front,but the order system still forces players into looking at formation (of course some players end up thinking by stands... and complain)

The big difference between CD and SH is command. In SH it is more effect based (you plan, your 6mm staff and battalion commanders 'implement' it at the best of their abilities, for some armies it is not a big assurance...). In CD because the system is more process based you have to allocate orders and similar think. You could appreciate the work of your 6mm staff and why at times in SH they do not do what you want from them.  They are two rules very close in my top ten...

3) Battlefront WW2. Works quite well in 6mm, work better with smaller brigade (basic maneuver element is the company), but suits smaller brigade engagement. There is emphasis on command (maneuver roll) but it lacks the emphasis on planning.

4) Fistful of Tow (despite the name it has organizations and stats for WW2): lower end of the spectrum for several reasons. It has very little planning and C3I, a bit too many rolls for some of my tastes, but really good hardware based system. Quality is still important. I Like it when I want more hardware focused games. I think it is better for armored engagement than Infantry ones, so combined arms engagements works much better when tanks are available aplenty.

These are my recommendations.

Assorted thoughts:

Like IASBM, works well in 6mm, excellent infantry system, bad (if not awful) armor penetration. I am simply using armor penetration from Battlegroup until I can figure my own system that I can then submit to Richard for one of the specials...

While I am a fan of Battlegroup, I do not think it is a good 6mm ruleset. Infantry casualties are still tracked singly.

FoW... I agree that it works in 6mm. Actually I got the impression it is a 6mm game sold for 15mm... I like the new Anti Tank system for Team Yankee (but I consider the bail out results more a suppression that actually people jumping in and out...). While I am not a fan of heavy guns on the table on a company level game... I think their ranging system works and it is a good way to represents spotting rounds and corrections followed by FFE. Yet, I think that, its point system is crap.

Not Recommended:

Blitzkrieg commander: being a big fan, playtested  the original CWC (my name is in the credits!), but completely turned off by the firing system and artillery. Artillery is the idiotic deviation dice system (I have replaced it in Battlegroup, I think it is a mechanic we keep using more by habit than by design, certainly not by research). Firing is outwardly nice, I like it for infantry... but when you use it for tanks... it fails. Basic roll to save system, with too little differentiation in vehicles.  I am also worried by a system that claims to be able to work as one stand is a squad and one stand is a platoon at the same time. Basic verdict (after having played for years): nice idea, but then you realize that it does not work better than Spearhead, with less detail, and possibly slower. It was nice in 15mm, but for 6mm there are better alternatives.

Honorable recommendation:
now this does not fit on the OP specs, but everyone recommend lower scale rules... Jim Day's Panzer. Extremely good armor combat. Boardgame based but designed with miniatures also in mind.  Infantry is covered, and works. The command system is interesting for the scale (1 to 1 for vehicles, squads with special teams for the infantry). The rules are modular so you can add the detail you wants to the basic skeleton. It covers WW2 to Modern. Extremely well playtested (it was published originally by yaquinto!). GMT is publishing the game version now (with maps, very nice counters and so on), Strike Net publish the only miniature version, available from Wargame Vault. The vehicles have their cards with penetration and armor ratings (yes you can impact different areas of the target!).

This is my round down of games I played.

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »
Nice write up - thanks!

We are not set on Brigade level if there is a good system at a lower level.
We play spearhead/MSH now but we've nto tried it with infantry.

Offline rnaylor

• Student
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 05:02:49 PM »
Yes, that is a good write up

Rich, we'll have to have a look at that set

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 11:22:08 AM »
Battlefront:WW2 is a very nice set for up to a battalion a side.
For larger games Spearhead is still a good choice. Simple mechanics, but emphasises planning

Offline Carnyx

• Student
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 06:15:02 PM »
Getting back into 6mm and have been on the hunt for a good set of rules, was looking for something that allows for sweeping games but maintains the relative strengths of Armour, not a big fan of the generic stats found in other games.  Settled on Kampfgruppe Commander III, well written and though out game and favors combined arms, more here:
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/219113/Kampfgruppe-Commander-III?term=command+iii&filters=40101_0_0_0&test_epoch=0

Have played most of those listed above and now play the following rule sets in larger scale:

Chain of Command for 28mm, primarily infantry games, 1 for 1, great game.

Rapid Fire II using 20mm, one stand representing a platoon, many great historical scenarios available.   

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:18:42 PM by Carnyx »