Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:05:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686579
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir_shvantselot does Burrows and Badgers  (Read 7359 times)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Sir_shvantselot does Burrows and Badgers
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 09:31:09 PM »
Thanks for the link to the FAQ. We found it very helpful.

Most fun game of Burrows and Badgers yet at the Pit Gaming Shop, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire. 

3 crews.

Mine were an owl and two small birds, a wildcat (boss), hare (deputy), marmot, magic using squirrel and a mouse with bow as the only conventional ranged capability. So quite combat heavy but fast mobility with “da boids”. 60 balance points (after three games).

Never counted exactly but one other crew was very shooty (rabbit with bow, fox with pistols, fox with bow and cat with caliver).

The other crew had two wildcats, a badger, a shrew and a medium sized magic user of some description - oh yes, black rat. So pretty combat heavy.

The scenery was a massive church built by the indomitable store owner with a lot of trees and walls around it. Oh yes, and a river running just in front of where my crew set up - stranded other than a bridge on the wrong end of the church.

This became important as the scenario was find the treasure chest in the end of the church nearest to me, at the centre of the table, and on the wrong side of the river, and drag it back to your table edge.

The crew with two wildcats had some den upgrade that meant these two started the game on top of the treasure chest in the middle of the table. Boo.

My crew had to wind its way slowly around the river to get to the middle of the table, over the bridge. Except the birds. They landed on the side of the building and waiting for the wildcat to move, so he could not fight back. The birds sat by the window, and watched. Always watching. The sky suddenly darkening with the flutter of wings. Even the wildcats, inside the church, started to feel a bit nervous.

The shooty third player moved forward and started shooting wildly at the rump of the wildcat crew stuck on the starting side of the church...with their wildcats now stuck in a room in the church in the middle of the table. A vicious battle ensued by the starting edge. The wildcat crew exchanged magic against the incoming shooting and though nobody died, many were wounded and some spell destroyed a lot of the shooty kit of the shooty crew (whose caliver went futt quickly). The wildcats’ badger went wild and wiped out a number of the shooters but eventually succumbed.

Meantime, the wildcat with the chest had to slowly drag it out of the church. Upon which the owl and other birds swooped down and took him out. Who said wildcats are hard? But the second wildcat, protecting his mate, and humiliated by “da boids”, pounced on the birds and took out the owl and everyone who tried to jump him seemed to fail a fear test, meaning he escaped multiple attacks without injury.

The slugfest between the shooty crew and rump wildcat crew continued on the other side of the church.

Whilst the remaining wildcat was pinned down by my birds and a hare, my wildcat had eventually crossed the bridge and grabbed the chest, making decent headway dragging it back. 

The enemy wildcat started to succumb to wounds and the (originally) 2 wildcat crew bottled out and fled, having fought a losing war on two fronts. Serve em right for showing initiative and grabbing the chest first.

The mauled shooty crew, less it’s losses and missing many weapons from the weird spell used on it multiple times, took one look at my reasonably fresh heavies crossing the bridge to support the wildcat dragging the chest...a marmot, mouse with bow, hare and a squirrel with lightning....looked at the remaining two birds, and bottled it.

The chest and lots and lots of treasure to me...to me...to me.... dah dah dah dah duh duh etc. It will go towards the beaver.  At least someone who can swim next time.

Some confusion over whether you need to roll a seven not to roll on the injury chart if the target is 6. But we rolled sevens.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 02:22:35 PM »
I should not have looked at this post.
Great story, love the photos.
I have been looking at Burrows and Badgers for awhile now.
Trying to decide to get in.
The problem, tons of unpainted figures.
Will I ever get them painted.
Well a look at their website, who knows what may happen. ::)
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 06:04:50 PM »
I should not have looked at this post.
Great story, love the photos.
I have been looking at Burrows and Badgers for awhile now.
Trying to decide to get in.
The problem, tons of unpainted figures.
Will I ever get them painted.
Well a look at their website, who knows what may happen. ::)

I have loads of projects but this one genuinely needs only half a dozen for the first ffewnagmes and there’s a max of ten. Also the sculpts are by hand not CAD. So each bit that was lovingly done by a hand can be painted easily by a hand. Not like some talented dude with computer game design experience who’s blown up the mini to the size of a large screen monitor and piled in as much detail as a CGI extra to game of thrones or lord of the rings. So I’ve actually painted around 13 badgers and burrows figures over the last few months on the side.

Gratuitous pic of the beaver and his bit on the side, watching the game but taking no part as yet. Not enough coin offered yet. But my winnings from last game will sort that!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:07:39 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 07:01:05 PM »
Not mine but someone in the Pit Gaming shop, Borehamwood, is pulling together a pirate band including converted land ship as their burrow.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 07:13:03 PM »
Kelmarsh country show. I wasn’t there but someone shared pics on our Badgers and burrows WhatsApp group.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 08:37:16 AM »
The pirate ship looks amazing! I really want one of those...

The Kelmarsh show game looks great, too - the Phoenix Gaming Club do some impressive stuff!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2019, 09:34:21 PM »
Another cool game of Burrows and Badgers at the Pit Gaming Shop Borehamwood.

My crew has rocketed to 100 points with the addition of the juggernaut that is Basher the Beaver. Basically, my crew doesn’t need to pay upkeep and has basically won four games in a row with minimal casualties and so has picked up enough cash to grow to 9 minis - the beaver; wildcat; two little birds; an owl; a marmot; a mouse; a hare and a squirrel magician.

I was down to play the shooty crew with five minis involved in the game last week described above, on 50 points. He was supposed to be supported by another crew and I thought they could gang up on me. But the third player wanted to half watch and half play PlayStation. Or something young people play online these days.

So I saw some Rorke’s Drift scenario in the rulebook where the shooty crew could stay in a house and for every bloke either of us had in the house at the end of the game we got a point and some cash.

I assumed the enhanced fox leader with bow, Robyn Hood, fox with brace of pistols and rabbit with bow would cause some damage, there’d be a fight for the house for the shooty crew behind cover and we’d see if my crew bottled it before taking too many losses.

And the shooty crew got loads of balance points I use my semi precious stones collection for.

But...

The shooty crew focused on shooting at my squirrel mage hiding behind a rock for two turns, the nimblest of my entire crew. And did some damage but the squirrel went and hid.

My little mouse with bow caused a wound on the shooty rabbit which blooded him...and then McTweetie, a finch who rolled a strength skill and now has voice of command , charged the wabbit and got his two birdie mates to do the same. Which did for the rabbit.

The shooty crew then left its cover and charged animals towards my heavy hitters.

We lost the hare but took out two of the shooty crew’s big hitters - the Landsknecht otter and their hare.

The shooty crew voluntarily routed towards the end of turn two.

They saw the beaver, marmot and wildcat walking towards them and even the fox with pistols in the building didn’t fancy his chances.

But that meant I had nobody in the building or touching it and got no cash or extra experience for winning ... :(

My nine crew went wandering and picked up enough cash for another large animal and somehow got a small animal for free (Max 10 I know).

My crew is so far advanced from the others the honourable thing to do (and to avoid more dirty comments)...is to start a new crew and see if others catch up.

The balance points in no way made up for the difference...but no rules set really does. My crossroads cult in Dracula’s America also became too hard too quickly.

Only one rules question...presumably when there’s a roll off both parties decide how many fate points they using to add extra dice rather than the counterparty waiting for the result?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:46:31 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 09:40:14 PM »
The pirate ship looks amazing! I really want one of those...

The Kelmarsh show game looks great, too - the Phoenix Gaming Club do some impressive stuff!

I’m more into painting then mass scenery sculpting...

But one for a future release.

This is the pool for my new crew that hopefully won’t shoot ahead. The scenery is by the scenery guru that is the owner of the pit gaming shop.

I’ve had such fun with the rules and loads of people seem up for Burrows and Badgers in the area.

May I ask why you can’t make a whole crew from frogs? I have some Todorini Flintloque frogs dressed up in Napoleonic French uniform I’d love to make a band of Royalists out of. I imagine they wouldn’t be very effective as caliver are intentionally a bit duff but hey...some of your fantastic sculpts are already venturing into the early Victorian...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:48:25 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 09:45:20 PM »
Blank
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:49:00 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 10:25:12 PM »
Only one rules question...presumably when there’s a roll off both parties decide how many fate points they using to add extra dice rather than the counterparty waiting for the result?
Yes, both sides can use fate points at the same time, but must declare that they are using them, and how many, BEFORE any dice are rolled.  :)

May I ask why you can’t make a whole crew from frogs?
You can make one, they just don't get the Single Species bonus. Basically, frogs in the game's background don't operate that way! Not that you'd know, as we didn't have room to fit in much of the background, sadly...
I didn't actually want to allow any single species bands, but enough people asked during playtesting that I grudgingly allowed a small number in the end.

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 08:48:38 AM »
Liking the set up.  I’m in the middle of (have been for years!) a pirate port and now realise I could use it with B&B.....

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 11:18:33 PM »
Liking the set up.  I’m in the middle of (have been for years!) a pirate port and now realise I could use it with B&B.....

I’d love to see a pic. Here’s my most recent painted B & B figure. Looking forward to the latest Kickstarter figures...

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2019, 05:50:35 AM »
Lovely work, he look a right rogue!! :)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2021, 07:35:07 PM »
Lovely work, he look a right rogue!! :)

He does indeed! Wow. Looks like I haven’t painted any Burrows and Badgers for more than a year! Well. Till today. Death from above...

I read a whole legal case once about an inshore wind farm being refused permission because it was going to kill red kites. And here one is...

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2021, 07:39:23 PM »
Yes, both sides can use fate points at the same time, but must declare that they are using them, and how many, BEFORE any dice are rolled.  :)
You can make one, they just don't get the Single Species bonus. Basically, frogs in the game's background don't operate that way! Not that you'd know, as we didn't have room to fit in much of the background, sadly...
I didn't actually want to allow any single species bands, but enough people asked during playtesting that I grudgingly allowed a small number in the end.

Sorry. Realised I never thanked you for your response. From the mouth of the creator! Looking forward to getting the latest Kickstarter order. The heroes one. Only fancied the Bishop amongst the witch hunters. Any chance of getting him on his own?

Also realised I have painted these over last year. Todoroni from Alternative Armies fit in well and may see about sprucing up the French Napoleonic elves and using them as squirrels.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 09:53:46 AM by sir_shvantselot »