Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:19:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sir_shvantselot does Burrows and Badgers  (Read 7358 times)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Sir_shvantselot does Burrows and Badgers
« on: August 11, 2018, 04:00:02 PM »
Had a game. Some cool mechanics. Liked how the animals fight on as they get injured but eventually give up the ghost on heroic fashions. Great double entendres too as my fox polishes off your bunny etc. Also a good use for some old Warhammer terrain.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Sir_shvantselot does Burrows and Badgers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 10:56:16 PM »
Nice - I came into the fantasy board looking for some Burrows and Badgers.

Tempted to get it and some minis.

Any suggestions?
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 04:36:04 AM »
Nice work! Great looking minis. :)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 09:25:56 PM »
Nice - I came into the fantasy board looking for some Burrows and Badgers.

Tempted to get it and some minis.

Any suggestions?

Make sure you get the rule book from Books Etc. http://www.booksetc.co.uk/books/view/-9781472817921

Much cheaper. Pick any minis you like frankly bearing in mind the restrictions on how many big ones you can take in a crew.  Tactically I’ve found it good having birds as they can get anywhere, and having at least half little creatures just to add numbers for between game activities and for scuttling around in scenarios. But good to have at least one hammer of a souped up character.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:20:59 PM »
Painted up an owl. What can I do to make the dark brown markings on the back more realistic?

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 06:04:54 PM »
I'd drybrush them with a lighter brown. This should reduce the contrast to the rest of the wings' upper sides a little.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 10:14:02 PM »
I'd drybrush them with a lighter brown. This should reduce the contrast to the rest of the wings' upper sides a little.

Yes. That’s the problem and the solution. Thanks.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »
Your owl's looking good! I agree, a drybrush with a lighter brown would improve it, then maybe even a very light drybrush with a cream colour?

Not much help now, I know, but when I painted mine I started white, and added the browns with ink washes, which worked pretty well. Might be worth doing to add some markings to the underside of the wings, maybe.

I don't know if you use Facebook at all, (I know a lot of people aren't keen on it) but if you do, the B&B Group is really good:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/burrowsandbadgers/

cheers,
Michael

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 10:11:05 PM »
Your owl's looking good! I agree, a drybrush with a lighter brown would improve it, then maybe even a very light drybrush with a cream colour?

Not much help now, I know, but when I painted mine I started white, and added the browns with ink washes, which worked pretty well. Might be worth doing to add some markings to the underside of the wings, maybe.

I don't know if you use Facebook at all, (I know a lot of people aren't keen on it) but if you do, the B&B Group is really good:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/burrowsandbadgers/

cheers,
Michael

What a game when the creator responds to one’s minor painting queries. I have followed your suggestions and the owl looks better already. Also think you’re right re using washes or normal colours with flow medium and letting your amazing sculpting do the heavy lifting in terms of detail! Had a couple of days off and between kids’ drop offs did these... we’ve played a fair few games in the Pit Gaming Shop in Borehamwood and a few of us have signed up for your latest Kickstarter, for which I think deliveries are reasonably imminent following your videos. Lovely game and some fun mash ups of concepts. I haven’t done a Landesknecht since GW Empire in the 1990s. And the Elizabethan dressed pussycat with caliber was super fun. I’m not on Facebook but there’s plenty of people here collecting up Burrows and Badgers and your supplement looks interesting too.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 09:50:39 AM »
Lovely looking warband!  :-*

I'm glad you're enjoying it! And yep, the Kickstarter's about ready to go - the first 40 or so will be going out today, and we'll work through the rest of them over the next 7 to 10 days, I expect... then I can finally get back to finishing that supplement! I really want it ready before Salute.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 01:52:47 PM »
Really, really solid painting and good news on my Kickstarter stuff to boot! What's not to like about this thread? :D

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »
This game has been calling my name. Lovely work

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 05:19:29 PM »
lovely figures and paint-jobs.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 10:06:48 PM »
lovely figures and paint-jobs.

Thank you. Couldn’t resist painting the beaver. Basher the Beaver. Does what he says on the tin. And he’s got a shield with the white rose of York. Can’t belive the store website doesn’t paint it as York or Lancaster!

I have a rules query by the way. When you generate items available for purchase at the end of the game one or two items have no cost - are they free at the market? I think the bespoke magic items.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »
I have a rules query by the way. When you generate items available for purchase at the end of the game one or two items have no cost - are they free at the market? I think the bespoke magic items.

No, they have a cost... at least, they should!  For some reason the editor removed various paragraphs from the tops of the charts.  :?

From the FAQ:
Q - How much do Magic Items cost to purchase?
A - It’s 3d20 pennies, regardless of the item. Sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes it’s horribly expensive!
Page 122 should start:
‘Magic items take various forms, from ensorcelled Staffs that give great power to the Wizards who wield them, through rings and necklaces imbued with bound spells, to weapons and armour that carry enchantments and the spirits of the fae folk within them.
Such unusual and rare items are difficult to price; as a result their costs vary widely. In addition, sellers may often be unaware of the power of the item, and sell it for less than its true worth. Regardless of the magic item type or power, it costs 3d20 pennies.’

Q - Rare item : Relic. There is no cost listed; what do they
cost?
A - They’re 2d6 pennies.

You can get the FAQ from the Files section of the B&B Facebook Group, or from Mediafire here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/396x9axd5f1aurc/Burrows%20%26%20Badgers%20FAQ%20and%20Errata.pdf

Cheers,
Michael