Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:17:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 714
Total: 719

Recent

Author Topic: Renaissance army, mounted Crossbows  (Read 10640 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Early Landsknechts and Gendarmes
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 11:41:02 AM »
The Pro Glory Landsknecht handgunners seem as if taken out from some old oil painting! Well done!
And the Gendarmes are superb! Congrats!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Peter d

• Bookworm
    • The Single Handed Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 04:39:58 PM »
Lovely work.  The two ranges go together nicely.
Been playing with toy soldiers since the mid 70s.  Not planning to grow up any time soon.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 01:39:24 PM »
Thank you for the kind remarks.

I have some Swiss pikemen who just need basing. I will post them as soon as they are done.

cheers
Erik

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 06:22:43 PM »
Great work!

Never thought of putting the warlord and perry's together for 1480s-90s

Cheers
Matt

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 07:05:27 PM »
I have been working on a unit of Foundry Swiss pikemen for some time but couldn't get them to fit together with all the pikes pointing forward. I love the models but finally had to give up. Instead, I have ordered some old Glory advancing pikemen to fill up behind them. Hopefully, the will mix well. In my opinion, you can never have too many pikemen, so having the unit split into two is not a bad deal.

Erik

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 07:34:56 PM »
They look great!

Getting a big pike block to rank up and look good is quite a challenge and does usually seem to need a few different manufacturers. I used the Perry metals for mine - the unarmoured rear rankers are in useful poses and should work well behind your Foundry ones.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: Renaissance army, mounted arquebus
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 07:33:21 AM »
Inspired by Steelfists new mounted arquebus and crossbowmen, I set about creating two units of my own. I have for a long time wanted to try and mix Perry mercenary infantry with their light cavalry to make some mounted arquebuses so this was a perfect oportunity. I used som Progloria Landsknechts parts as well.

Here are the mounted arquebuses. I usually put three miniatures pr. base, but since these guys would be light cavalry I only but two pr. base.

I am working on a unit of mounted crossbowmen as well. They should be ready soon.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 10:00:05 PM »
And early Schwarz Reiters (with boar spears)?  Or does your army predate them ?

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 11:02:33 PM »
Love those light horse! That's what I'm planning on, but it looks even better than I'd imagined.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 11:27:40 PM »
Nice to see how well the different manufacturers blend together, great work!

Also are there a couple of Steel Fist arquebusiers in the bunch that I see?

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

They are mounted arquebus, not schwarz reiters. I have plans for making some schwarz reiters out of Perry Knights, as I see them as much heavier armored than arqubuses. The miniatures are mostly used for late 15th century and early 16th century Scandinavian warfare.

There are rightly spotted 4 Steelfistminiatures in the unit. The rest are Perry light cavalry

Cheers
Erik

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 09:24:12 AM »
They really turned out great. I think this is some of your finest work yet. The different manufacturers really blend in very nice. I just might need to copy your work.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2019, 10:28:17 PM »
Early Schwarzreiters were heavier than the mounted arquebusiers, but not so heavy as they would become by the second half of the 16th century (when they would be wearing 3/4 or 1/2 armor).  Typical equipment early on was a cuirass alone or a a bishops mantle, or both  (usually with no arm armor), thigh boots, pistols and boar spear, and many wore a "top hat" perhaps inspired by Stradiot fashions.   

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2921/14771629523_8f016b99ba_b.jpg

the below gentlemen are from the 1560's, and the armor has become heavier

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3858/14771636343_f7b0e5eb6a_b.jpg

From George Gush's venerable Renaissance Armies book, figures K and I below (note the "armored" chinstraps Gush drew on K appear from originals to be his misinterpretation of the originals; these "top hats" of this early period are usually felt, in browns, blacks and reds, not helmets.  The "hat helmet" appears in the 17th century).

http://home.mysoul.com.au/graemecook/Renaissance/17_Imperialist_cavalry.gif

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 09:22:37 AM »
The army looks fab  8) 8) 8)

The only thing I would say, and I really don't mean to be negative- you're army and conversions really do look great, is that the Mounted Arquebusiers would have fired from stationary horses if indeed they fired mounted at all.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2019, 02:22:48 PM »
I was really in doubt about putting some foot arquebuses on the bases. If nothing else to use the left over loading, arms from the Perry box. My decision was mostly based on roleplaying spirit. I didn´t want to make a dragoon unit, I wanted a cavalry unit.

Maybe thats why most miniature companies (if not all) don’t make their mounted arquebus in firing position. So they don’t have to make the choice.

Cheers
Erik