Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:35:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 3D printed Raupenschlepper Ost  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
3D printed Raupenschlepper Ost
« on: July 26, 2018, 08:24:40 PM »
I got 2 free copies (is that the right word?) of the RSO model in 1/56th scale printed from a Thingiverse file. The model lacks some details and is in general not very accurate to the prototype, but for the use in Bolt Action on the gaming table it is good enough and not worse than many resin models on the market. The print quality was also good enough to make a nice gaming piece with not too much work to have the printing marks concealed. I rounded the roof of the cab a little bit, covered the even surfaces with putty, gave it a good sanding and put paint on it:

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: 3D printed Raupenschlepper Ost
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 03:40:55 PM »

Nice paintwork & weathering on the RSO's (that always helps - I particularly like how you did the windows) & the models' quality seems pretty acceptable for a tabletop model, that they were free couldn't have hurt either :)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 11:54:50 PM »
Great work Michi, I would be happy with those on the table too.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 06:02:34 AM »
They look great! Well done.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 07:29:24 AM »
Fine painting and great choice of colour tones. I wonder, though, if the original 3D model was designed for 15mm. For that scale, I suspect that the level of detail would be more than appropriate while robust, but it comes off a bit clunky when upscaled to 28mm/30mm...

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »
I wonder, though, if the original 3D model was designed for 15mm. For that scale, I suspect that the level of detail would be more than appropriate while robust, but it comes off a bit clunky when upscaled to 28mm/30mm...

It seems that it was designed in 1/200 and upscaled to 28mm. From here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2772045
No gem, but good enough to recognise the prototype.