Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dr. Mathias's LPL 12 Portfolio  (Read 9154 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Dr. Mathias's LPL 12 Portfolio
« on: August 12, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
Following in the footsteps of my fellow entrants, I decided I had better find the time to create a portfolio of my LPL entries.

My main goal this year was to avoid purchasing any new miniatures for the League. I believe I was able to do that. I was concerned about the 'Explorers' theme because I have painted dozens of them already over the years. Luckily I had some Copplestone Castings Germans!

1. Pig Tickling

These miniatures are for the game 'Pig Tickler' designed by Eureka. I've had these guys for years and just couldn't get the fire lit to get them done. I was pretty much tapped out of British figures from other periods so it had to be them! Luckily these particular lancer uniforms are pretty iconic and fit the theme. The game is pretty fun too!

2. Oasis of Death

Zombie camel riders and Baluchi figures from Obelisk (now closed, they're available somewhere else now). These were meant to be included in the previous year's Army Painter challenge (Darkest Africa Baluchis) but they ended up sitting on the desk, primed and waiting. I enjoyed considering these as a desert climate parallel to the white walkers in Game of Thrones. I thought this entry had a great chance of winning, but Keith's 15s were painted like 28s (and the photographer was better too ;) ) and they went down.

3. Planet of the Worm Men

This is another one that I was really happy with, but went down to a better entry. Pulper's Genestealers had some seriously impressive blending, not to mention the seamless converting! These are Retro-Raygun miniatures from Hydra.

4. Enemy Sighted!

My third smackdown came from Blasphemia Blackwood. I thought I was done for this year's LPL, after three successive losses. At this point I was starting to realize my photos weren't showing off the painting and the figures were secondary to the large 'scene'. These continue to add to my Hinterland hussarette army, artillery and limber by Askari Miniatures. Like most of my other stuff in the LPL, this group was in the queue years ago.

5. Upside Down

Like many others I really enjoy the 'Stranger Things' TV show and had been wanting to paint some miniatures related to the series. I've had the NBC troopers for years now and luckily I had an old Grenadier Demogorgon as well. The rift to the upside down dimension is a hole cut in foambaord, with puffy paint tendrils, followed by airbrush, them more puffy paint, and more airbrush to pull off the ethereal look.

6. Bakemono Banzai!

Some more figures I've had for many years, which I chip away at each LPL. I bought these way back when Olley had his own site, maybe fifteen years ago! At this point the wolf riders are done, I think I have only a few orcs left- they'll probably show up next year :)

7. Meeting the Maasai

After rooting around in the miniature storage for a while I decided my only option that was faithful to the theme would be some East Africa Company Germans. After doing some research they seemed to fit the criteria. Again, I've had these guys for a few years. When a bunch of things disappeared from the Copplestone site I bought all the Darkest Africa stuff available :)

Copplestone has done some new Africa stuff for Northstar- which is both awesome and annoying, because I'm still not done with the Foundry range after working on it for over seventeen years. The young woman is one of the newer 'African Princesses'.

After painting some double sided flags in previous years, I vowed not to do it again this year- but I did anyway :)

8. Hunters or Hunted?

I'd been wanting to paint some of the plastic Northstar orcs as well, and when I saw a little resin castle at the dollar store that looked straight out of an Ian Miller Lord of the Rings illustration, the idea for this came together. The castle was the only thing I bought specifically for the LPL this year. The spiders are from Reaper Miniatures.

9. Bring 'em Back Alive!

I didn't settle on an entry for the final round until the last minute. For some reason I was under the mistaken impression that I was knocked out and didn't have to submit a round nine :)

Anyway, I'd been planning a 'Xeno Creature Acquisition' crew for Rogue Stars/40K for months, but I wasn't sure how to do the cages. Once I decided to commit to the idea of an Ambull breakout, I laid out a bunch of pieces and discovered a fairly close compatibility between some parts from a Maki Games Kickstarter and some Mantic Deadzone components. All of this stuff was built, converted, and painted in five days. It felt like one of my 'all in' LPL entries from several years ago.

My blog actually has more detailed information on each entry.
http://miniatureextravaganza.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:19:06 PM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Dr. Mathias's LPL 12 Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 06:41:00 PM »
Fabulous Matt. What an amazing testament to your creativity as well as painting, scenic and photographic skills. I seriously believe it when I say ‘Hunters or hunted’ is one of my all-time favourite  LPL entries. Everything about it - pitch perfect.  8)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 06:42:54 PM »
A splendid collection of images  :-*
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 09:32:27 PM »
Fabulous Matt. What an amazing testament to your creativity as well as painting, scenic and photographic skills. I seriously believe it when I say ‘Hunters or hunted’ is one of my all-time favourite  LPL entries. Everything about it - pitch perfect.  8)

High praise indeed! I'm pretty fond of it. Here's a shot of the scene from above:

A splendid collection of images  :-*

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:57:31 PM »
Stunning, there are bits of scenery th!t didnt even make the final pic;

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 04:56:30 PM »
Outstanding. I think my favourites are the Japanese-style goblin types, and of course the DOAG meeting the Masai (because that one is right up my street).

Love that glimpse "behind the curtain" of how you set up the Orcs and Spiders entry, too. That one was a real feat of miniature and photographic magic.

I think you were treated a bit harshly by the voting public a few times this year, Matt. But that's the way it goes, I guess, people are going to like what they like and there's no accounting for it.  One time I was the beneficiary of it, too, so it would be churlish to complain.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 09:56:16 PM »
Some of my very favourite entries this year Matt.
That penultimate Orcs vs Spiders picture perfectly captures the essence of what attracted an eight year old me to fantasy and miniatures. Wonderful.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 01:11:26 AM »
Thanks all, appreciated.

Outstanding. I think my favourites are the Japanese-style goblin types, and of course the DOAG meeting the Masai (because that one is right up my street).

Love that glimpse "behind the curtain" of how you set up the Orcs and Spiders entry, too. That one was a real feat of miniature and photographic magic.

I think you were treated a bit harshly by the voting public a few times this year, Matt. But that's the way it goes, I guess, people are going to like what they like and there's no accounting for it.  One time I was the beneficiary of it, too, so it would be churlish to complain.  :)

I can't rightfully complain about the voting this year- there were a lot of real stunners. Only reason i got as far as I did was some people weren't being religious about the themes and other LPL specific aspects!

I had a lot of fun and didn't stress about it too hard, and got rid of some lead pile too :) I'm really glad to be almost done with the oriental orcs and goblins, they've been waiting for ages.

Of course having started on the DOAG means I'll need to paint more in the near future, can't game with that little group  lol

Some of my very favourite entries this year Matt.
That penultimate Orcs vs Spiders picture perfectly captures the essence of what attracted an eight year old me to fantasy and miniatures. Wonderful.

Thanks, that's great to hear. Eight year old me would have died if future me dropped in with a time machine and said 'You'll be doing this someday'.  lol