Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:38:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690723
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Deck Holder for pulp games (or any games, really): PLANS  (Read 2211 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Deck Holder for pulp games (or any games, really): PLANS
« on: August 12, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »
First, I'm posting this here because I designed this specifically for my Pulp Alley games.

Second, I know it's an extravagance and there are cheaper ways to place your card decks and discards (just put 'em on the table = free!).

Third, when it comes to beautiful things made of wood, I just can't help myself. Sometimes.  Well, mostly. o_o o_o
Plus I like to give a classy presentation when I put on games at conventions.

I discussed the concept of a custom deck holder with Brendon Konas of Dog Might at the Origins Game Fair, and he said sure, send in what you want. I sent in a finished plan on July 30, and 12 days later I had my deck holder!

I have to give credit to my son James, a mechanical engineer, for turning me on to Autodesk Fusion 360 and walking me through the design process. Significant changes were made to my original hand drawn design, which, by the way, was pretty well done and impressed my son!

The wood is flame birch with "Demon's Blood" stain.

The skull engraving is one of Dog Might's standard designs, and is close to the Pulp Alley logo.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:52:46 PM by oabee »
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Deck Holder for pulp games (or any games, really)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:50:14 PM »
Definitely an extravagance, but very nice indeed.  What did it cost you?

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 02:30:50 AM »
That is so awesome!  :-* :-* :-*

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 04:11:24 AM »
Pretty slick :)

I'm getting ready to make a wooden box/case for my Wagers of Sin game and I have to say I like the look of that stain!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 03:47:18 PM »
Definitely an extravagance, but very nice indeed.  What did it cost you?

They charged $79, which is the same price as their dice chests and $10 more than their deck boxes. Had I gone with their basic wood (white ash with a choice of several stains) I would have saved $10. Had I gone with their premium woods I would have spent $20+ more.

Dog Might has been very successful with their Kickstarters. At last count they have 21 types of wooden gaming accessories. I am sure that if they would, by any chance, start to offer deck holders of their own design, the price would come down. And I believe that, what with the increasing popularity of card-based games, they would do quite well with it.

Wolf Girl: I'm very glad you like it!

Dr Mathias: Dog Might develops all their own stains, so I really don't know where you can find one like it. And I agree, I really love the look of it!

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
Very nice, love it.
For any one on a tighter budget, Sally 4th designed a nice deck holder as well a couple of years back which has proved very popular.

It costs £10... you'll have to supply your own wood stain!

Full details @ http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Pulp-Alley-Gaming-Accessories
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 11:56:14 PM »
Can't argue that yours is much easier on the budget, Chris! Especially since the exchange rate in pounds to dollars remains very favorable to American buyers! And having purchased from your fine establishment I can highly recommend Sally 4th's excellent service and products to my fellow North Americans.  :D

Actually, your deck holder and the similar one that Mr. Phipps came up with were my inspiration for designing my own...you can see the similarities in the general design.

Now if either you or Mr. Phipps would offer one of these for sale, my joy will be complete:

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 02:03:29 AM »

Now if either you or Mr. Phipps would offer one of these for sale, my joy will be complete:

https://www.amazon.com/Barbuzzo-Cylinder-Holder-Weight-Silver/dp/B01EGPA59A

Barbuzzo Gun Cylinder Pen Holder & Paper Weight, Silver - Lock & Load Your Favorite Pens and Pencils at your Office Desk - The Perfect Office Accessory & Gift - Made Out of Heavy Duty Cast Aluminum

Valerik

"The mule always appears to me a most surprising animal. That a hybrid should possess more reason, memory, obstinacy, social affection, powers of muscular endurance, and length of life, than either of its parents, seems to indicate that art has here outdone nature."
~ Charles Darwin

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 02:10:38 AM by Valerik »
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 05:51:23 PM »
Soooo, is it bad of me that I immediately looked through the leftover materials at where I work and threw together an imitation over lunch?  It is nowhere near the quality (which is gorgeous, by the way) but I am not unhappy.  This is what happens when you run the CNC at your workplace...

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 08:09:58 PM »
That is d**n fine, Sinewgrab! Can I come work where you work?  ;)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 05:14:22 AM »
Trust me, you don't want to do that.  And it is serviceable, but the original by Dog Might is damned fine.  Good quality work up there.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 03:38:46 PM »
I use a modern style bridge that I got for a couple dollars from Toy Soldier Depot.  I just put a divider in the center, and it holds two decks or a deck and discards nicely.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 06:09:20 PM »
Here are the plans (all measurements are inches), if you're interested:

Original hand-drawn plan:

Final Autodesk Fusion 360 version:

Assumes cares are in sleeves. Able to put in the arcs easily in the CAD program: I couldn't remember how to do curves in my hand-drawn isometric view, so did it without any arcs. Just drew the curved corners by hand. It's been a long time since 8th grade mechanical drawing class.  :D

Being unfamiliar with computer drafting software, I was blown away with how easy it was to do arcs, and how the center point and radius of the arc are automatically shown in the final plan.

The only thing Brendon of Dog Might did different was to base it on 1/4 inch stock instead of half inch stock.