Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Conflicts that came in from the Hot  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
The Conflicts that came in from the Hot
« on: August 13, 2018, 09:14:21 AM »
I find myself drawn into this roughly defined area, as one is I suppose inevitably eventually is bound to do as time passes, even if one has a reluctance against 'modern warfare'. In my case it's the BBC drama series 'The Last Post' which is a bit fucking good, isn't it? It's got feet in Colonialism, WWII, and the Cold War, just to name a few, and quite beautifully executed. With the RMP in their scarlet caps and khaki drills it reminds me of Cptn Bloods Dessert Rats with slightly more modern arms. I's love to make something out of that.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: The Conflicts that came in from the Hot
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 09:53:58 AM »
 I believe that Eureka makes 28's for that conflict.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 10:55:09 AM »
I actually found the Last Post to be more than a bit shite myself at least in terms of recognisable history and/or plausible historical story telling. I will happily admit that they did a pretty bloody good job getting the look of Aden.

Eureka do indeed do a range for Aden. Chaps in bush hats for the Radfan and up-country and some lovely figures in glengarries for Mad Mitch and the Argylls. Of course you can paint them up as other Scots regiments, the Cameronians were in Aden circa 1966. Naturally enough, they do Adeni tribesmen. No Aden police or FRA but you can make decent proxies with 8th Army figures.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »
I actually found the Last Post to be more than a bit shite myself at least in terms of recognisable history and/or plausible historical story telling. I will happily admit that they did a pretty bloody good job getting the look of Aden.

Eureka do indeed do a range for Aden. Chaps in bush hats for the Radfan and up-country and some lovely figures in glengarries for Mad Mitch and the Argylls. Of course you can paint them up as other Scots regiments, the Cameronians were in Aden circa 1966. Naturally enough, they do Adeni tribesmen. No Aden police or FRA but you can make decent proxies with 8th Army figures.

The historicity may be off, or not, I am not read up on the subject, it was the dramatization and the photography what got me. Great to hear Eureka is stepping up even here. I has evaded me.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 12:41:58 PM »
I had heard of this conflict, but never knew anything about it.

Had to Wikipedia it to find out more. The article just gives limited, general information, but enough sources to look into a bit more.

It also states Russia as supporting the two separatist organizations, but I take it this must have been at most a few shipments of small arms and explosives?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:46:38 PM »
The principal external backer of both insurgent tribesmen and the urban guerillas in Aden itself was Nasser’s Egypt. Much of the kit sent was ex-British and even the odd ex-German small arms from Egyptian stocks, although they did supply small quantities of Soviet weapons.

Britain repaid them in kind. Egypt was involved in a very drawn out and bloody insurgency/ civil war in Yemen, oft referred to as Egypt’s Vietnam. Britain provided advisors in the form of ex-SAS men as well as foreign mercenaries in addition to financing and arming the royalist rebels. All very Laurence of Arabia. Both Israel and the Saudis also pitched in, with the Saudis becoming the major financial backer of the resistence and Israel running clandestine air drops of materiel. If you are interested, then there’s a book on the subject that details Britain’s secret involvement in the Yemeni Civil War: The War That Never Was by Duff Hart-Davis.

Things got rather heated on a number of occasions along the Aden/Yemen border and there was a real potential for war with Egypt. RAF Hunters were called upon, on one occasion, to obliterate a Yemeni government fort, well inside the Yemeni border.

By the by I just remembered that Commando Miniatures also do Yemeni tribesmen.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:38:31 AM »
Indeed, the Soviets never supplied non state actors direct, they only supplied nation states. They had to be seen to be following UN rules, like everyone else, after all. They also relied on regional 'brokers' like Egypt, Cuba and the OAU to determine where best to direct their financial and material aid.

The problem with insurgencies is keeping them supplied, there is no point sending AKs if you can't maintain a constant stream of ammo. Having someone like Egypt supply surplus weapons, ones that many of the enemy were also using, alleviated some of the supply problems. Otherwise you need Ho Chi Minh clone supply routes (the Dhala Road in this case), which could be interdicted.

In the '60s .303 was still the 'universal bullet' across the Middle East and could be sourced anywhere fairly easily. Even captured/stolen British 7.62 weapons were useless if you couldn't keep capturing/stealing the ammo for them.