Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:39:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a Miniature Dungeon Crawl Game  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: Looking for a Miniature Dungeon Crawl Game
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 10:02:34 PM »
massive darkness is a fun game if you want slash and hack...the minis are pretty cools as well

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 09:14:42 AM »
@Stormwolf
Do you mean Dungeoneer the Cardgame or Dungeoneer from Fighting Fantasy?

@Koyote & Eric, the shed
Do you know, if massive darkness is compatible with zombicide black plague or vice versa?

@warlord frod
Seems interesting, but I thought it is out of production?
They say we come from nothing and to nothing we will return, but in between is gravity and bridges left to burn.

They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 01:08:16 PM »
You could always get Dragon Strike from TSR or Heroquest... the rules are great for what you are talking about... quick dirty battle fun, just a small hint of RP, and you can make any map and adventure yourself... I use Dragon Strikes rules for 1 shots, Heroquest for campaigns because you can level up and buy weapons... both rules downloadable from web for free... not as deep as others suggestions, but easy to get new friends to play as not over complicated.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 01:14:02 PM »
Do you know, if massive darkness is compatible with zombicide black plague or vice versa?

Massive Darkness had a Kickstarter Exclusive (I think it was exclusive) add-on of a crossover card pack that let you use MD models in Black Plague and vice versa but I don't think the rules are compatible at all. One thing with Massive Darkness though is the campaign rules seem tacked on and not great.

Offline Kegluneq

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 01:20:22 PM »
Massive Darkness had a Kickstarter Exclusive (I think it was exclusive) add-on of a crossover card pack that let you use MD models in Black Plague and vice versa but I don't think the rules are compatible at all. One thing with Massive Darkness though is the campaign rules seem tacked on and not great.

Truth.  I actually rather enjoy massive darkness, but it can take awhile to play and the campaign rules just didn't do it for me.

Miniatures are pretty brilliant, though.  With the right paint-job they fit right in with my less fantastical things, and they're a lot of fun to paint. 

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 01:46:52 PM »
Darksider,
The Fantasy Trip/Melee/Wizard and GURPS have some similarities but The Fantasy Trip is way simpler. Combat is quick but you have choices/moves that give it more flavor than just checking what number you need to hit a particular AC.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 03:33:56 PM »
Thx for your replies ;).

@gibby64
Will have a look at the rules^^.

@Cait Sidhe & Kegluneq
Ah okay. If the Campaign is bad, do you only play one shots? Yeah I like the minis a lot. Considered to buy the game only for the superb minis.

@Commander Carnage
Thanks=). If I find the rules, i will look over them.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 03:54:05 PM »
Seems interesting, but I thought it is out of production?

Yes, way out of production, but you can still pick it up on eBay without too much effort.  ;) Rules are readily available for free on the web. So I still think its a viable option.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 04:06:56 PM »
A combination that I've considered trying is 4 Against Darkness for the generation of rooms and monsters and then Ganesha's Sellswords and Spellslingers for the rest. If you don't know the latter, it's a cooperative miniatures game with the monsters controlled by a deck of cards. It's really good.

To combine the two, I think you'd have an "exploration phase", in which you play 4AD, and a "combat phase" in which you switch to S&S. The switch would be triggered by the appearance of monsters - and then you'd switch back again when they're all wiped out.

As the S&S cards often involve more monsters appearing, you could get a really nice sense of danger - so that if monsters appeared, you'd want to kill them all as quickly as possible before the sounds of battle draw more. And then you'd be safe until 4AD dictated the appearance of new monsters - at which point things could escalate very fast (in a "drums in the deep" Mines of Moria sort of way).

I mused about doing this on here some time ago, but haven't yet actually done it; I didn't have any gridded maps at the time and so was going to make a whole load of cardboard floorplans to go with the 4AD stuff. But I must give it a go with flip mats.

I think my plan last time was to make the 4AD rooms bigger - using two or three squares to one in measurements - so that you'd get lots of room for manoeuvre.

As S&S allows you to interact with monsters and NPC other than by fighting them (sometimes), you could get quite a sophisticated game going fairly easily.

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »
I haven't played it at all, but the boardgame crowd seems very enamored with Gloomhaven these days. It only uses miniatures for the heroes, if that matters, but no GM required.

Add me to the group that is tepid on the Massive Darkness rules, although the minis are very nice, so it's a good way to get a bunch of stuff if you're the kind of group that doesn't mind house ruling things or using it for testing out different systems.

Great to see all these recommendations. I'll have to check out a few things I hadn't heard about. Keep them coming!

Offline Kegluneq

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 08:23:24 PM »
Truth.  I actually rather enjoy massive darkness, but it can take awhile to play and the campaign rules just didn't do it for me.

Miniatures are pretty brilliant, though.  With the right paint-job they fit right in with my less fantastical things, and they're a lot of fun to paint.

To be fair, I only get two evenings a week for any gaming, so it has just been a few different one-shots, yeah.  Three games were chained together in a campaign, and advancement is a little wonky.  Everyone seems to like the idea of it, but there's a lot of other games competing for time, including D&D. 

I got in on the kickstarter, so the price-per-mini was much better in my case.  That said, the minis from the base game are quite solid. 

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 09:48:07 PM »
I've heard good things about Goalsystem Delves:

http://www.four-colorstudios.com/goalsystem-delves.html

Beat me to it, but in my case it's not just "heard" - I've played it a fair bit and it does a good job of being a primarily-minis-combat version of D&D, with a pretty strong "old school" feel.  Roleplay is pretty minimal, but the combat is smooth, the character class and level system is deep enough to remain interesting for quite a while, and it's got a solid abstract "between delves" subgame where your heroes do...stuff around town when they aren't adventuring.  Big thumbs up.

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 09:54:34 PM »
hobgoblin, I was thinking doing the same with the mix of 4AD and Sellswords and Spellslingers.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 03:07:09 AM »
I love skirmish games.  The best traditional fantasy-based skirmish game I have found is still Mordheim - good mechanics overall but with a particularly nice campaign advancement system.  Of course the official setting is a ruined city, but it is not hard to extrapolate to a dungeon (we have done so on a few occasions, although we usually play "upstairs".  It used to be fairly easy to find a free pdf of the rules online - not sure if that is still true.

So far the best dungeon crawl game I have played - hands down - is Shadows of Brimstone.  But instead of a traditional fantasy setting it has a "weird west" setting, so the heroes are sheriffs, gunslingers, Indian scouts, saloon girls, etc.  It has nice mechanics for exploring the mines (main setting), and there are "other world" settings to explore as well.  You do not need a GM - the mechanics are pretty clear on how the monsters run on autopilot. But the best thing about it is a really robust campaign setting between the games.  Of course if you are not interested in painting a bunch of new Western miniatures, not a good choice.  The miniatures produced for the game (by Flying Frog) are pretty hit or miss.  Each of the two "core" game variants has four different hero types, and the models for them are "meh".  The monster models tend to be better.  I mainly use Black Scorpion figures for our hero models.

-Michael

-Michael

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 10:23:29 PM »
There is a new Dungeon Crawler coming to Kickstarter next October. It's called Dungeon Universalis and looks great but so far there is information about it only in Spanish (the game will be translated into English).

Translated from the creator's page (http://ludicdragon.com/dungeon-universalis):
A huge Universal Compendium
Feel the experience of playing this universal system in a Fantasy World. Live the thrill of RPG adventures, strategy, and balance of wargames and cards and events of a board game.

Balance and high replayability
Dungeon Universalis is a gameboard for 2 to 6 players (though there is also a solo mode). A true homemage to classic Dungeon Crawlers. But it's much more than that because is also a universal system created so that its versatility, balance, and the number of options will allow you to use components and story backgrounds from other games, be it adventures, maps, characters, miniatures, etc., using them effortlessly with this rule set. You'll find therefore replayability is maximized.

Different game modes
Different game modes, scalable difficulty, single adventures and big campaigns. Random or predefined scenarios and a system to make your own adventures.

This is the website, but it has no content yet: http://dungeonuniversalis.com/