Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:32:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689490
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Would substituting 1940 French as Belgians work?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Would substituting 1940 French as Belgians work?
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:08:09 PM »
Perusing the options on offer for 1940 Belgians in 15mm - so far I can only identify the QRF range which is sold by TSS now, or the True North range supplied by Old Glory.

What photos I've seen of the True North figures make them look ok, but I'm wondering whether French would work as Belgians? (Not Chasseurs Ardennes)

Given both used the Adrian helmet, although I think the Belgian version was slightly different I don't think at 15mm it makes too much of a difference?

Presume the FN 1930 might be a problem, but otherwise any views on suitability? Just think the ranges of French available are much more substantial than specific Belgians.

Thanks!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Would substituting 1940 French as Belgians work?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »
Broadly yes, especially with smaller scales.

You probably will need to add some British officers to get the right peaked officers cap look.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:00:13 PM »
I'm not entirely certain, but I believe the Belgians used the original pattern of Adrian helmet (M15), while French had a new version (M26), which had a narrower brim, the difference being most noticeable at the front. There were other minor differences, like ammo pouches and the Belgians wore leather gaiters and not cloth puttees.

I doubt much of that is really noticeable in 15mm. Cut off the top mag on the LMG and I'm sure it will pass for a BAR. You might even have look for some Great War French and see how they look.

Personally I'd just use them straight out of the packet as is, the Adrian is the key identifying feature and as Fred says, the WWI British look of the officers; although they too would usually wear helmets in action.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 11:58:32 PM »
I agree that in 15mm, it’s ok; in 28mm the scale would give you away  ;)
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 08:37:49 AM »
i suppose YES!
from a practical point of view, in how many games will you field a Belgian Army?..so in my opinion the most simple and practical approach, and also sufficiently realistic, will be to paint a French Army in Kaki (Moutarde) to use as French Army 1940, Colonial French in WW1 (Kaki instead of bleu horizon) and finally Belgians

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 01:15:13 PM »
Great, thanks all. I might have a look at the True North range anyway, but good to know I could use French if I decide to.

from a practical point of view, in how many games will you field a Belgian Army?

Very true!  lol
I was originally going to do French straight off, and will still do them, but then I thought the 18 days campaign has enough in it for the size of game I'll end up doing, and it's a bit different.
Other route is to go right round the globe and do KNIL vs Japanese, which I might well do after the 1940 Western Front.

Oh, and the invasion of Greece...

Meantime I need to get on with these 15mm Tudors I'm painting!  :D

Cheers!