Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:45:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686439
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WAS Honours of War, Weissenburg 1744  (Read 6313 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: WAS Honours of War, Weissenburg 1744
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2018, 07:57:47 AM »
What figures are you using? So many lovely painted units on show be interested to find out who you use. :)

Greg's Austrian infantry is Minifigs and his horse Essex.

My troops are mainly Blue Moon with some Old Glory.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »
Many thanks for that, great stuff. :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2018, 05:14:04 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:43:15 PM by DintheDin »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 10:24:07 PM »
Well done Dinos , another great AAR. You,re certainly enjoying your WAS battles with Keith Flint’s HofWar rules. I,d be interested in a quick review of these rules , if you ever get the time .

Before I write my personal view, let us speak the author for the game

http://honoursofwar.com/page/authors-notes

When I discovered Honours of War, I had already based a good number of figures for another game system. I was pleased to see that HoW is forgiving considering the base length, the only requirement is opposing units to have the same frontage and the frontage of the infantry battalions to be roughly equal with the long musket range.

You have to organize your army into "brigades", their brigadier being of various quality, Dithering, Dependable or Dashing, this plays a role in the brigade behaviour in movement and charge.

Grenadiers or Guards units can be classed as superior, conscript and garrison units as inferior and the rest as standard.

For movement a movement initiative die is thrown and then the players move their brigades alternately, opponent may react while you charge by countergarging or evading with his light units. Initiative die is thrown also for fire. Melees must be resolved within the same round, one (or sometimes both) engaged units retreating or done for.

There is no base removal, a unit can live until it takes five hits. With one or two hits it is ok, with three fights with reduced strength, with four it must retreat and stay at a distance from the enemy to recover hits. At five it says goodbye.  When having taken a number of hits, staying in a certain distance from the enemy is crucial to recover hits (only the first hit cannot be recovered). The role of the C-in-C is, among other things to stay close to a battered unit, as he may reduce his hits by one at the end of his turn. So, moving around your commander to take position in places that the battle is hot, is of strategic importance.

The hits table is very simple and the game uses average dice (2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5). If this kind of dice is not available, you may play with a d6, interpreting 6 for 4 and 1 for 3. The whole QRS takes only two pages and after you read the main rules a couple of time, it is very easy to play only with it, I introduced the game to some friends giving them only the QRS and in a few rounds they could follow the game perfectly. The QRS for any figure scale are downloadable from the HoW forum.

What I enjoy most, is cavalry battles! The ebb and tide of cavalries clashing, other units destroyed, other retreating, other following up and after a (say) 2-3 rounds, units that recovered coming again to fight! The spectacle of two versus two cavalry brigades in successive lines, charging and countercharging is majestic!

Infantry attacks against built up areas or behind fortifications are also very thrilling, it needs preparation with artillery until the target is softened before the final assault.

For giving the feeling of the period, there is also a chapter for National Differences (move or fire initiative, or difficulty in deployment). A simple points value table lets you decide in how many points you may play a fiction game and buy your armies. I wish I could have a buddy interested in Imagi-nations campaigns, this set of rules would be perfect!

HoW was designed for SYW, but also WSS, WAS, Jacobite Rebellion, even AWI have been played.

I have seen a few other systems, but I'm happy with HoW and stuck with it as it can float my boat!  :)

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 09:13:02 AM »
How wonderful wargame! A very good AAR. Iwish I were  with you guys, but I will play the next game!

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2018, 05:45:27 PM »
Iwish I were  with you guys,
So do I , Mr. M. 😎

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 06:11:30 PM »
So do I , Mr. M. 😎

This is very flattering and much appreciated!
If you happen to drop by Athens you will be a honorary guest!!!

How wonderful wargame! A very good AAR. Iwish I were  with you guys, but I will play the next game!

Miltiades, Autumn is coming and be sure it will be full of SYW, WAS and WSS games!

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 07:51:07 AM »
Great looking miniatures and very comprehensive AAR cheers for sharing. We also play Honours of War at our club.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
Great looking miniatures and very comprehensive AAR cheers for sharing. We also play Honours of War at our club.

Hi! I'm glad you like them!
I'm watching your activities, very active club, beautiful minis and terrain!
Looking at your blog regularly, you're doing a great job there! 
Eager to see your next HoW game!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 11:39:53 AM »
For anyone who would like to replay the battle, I made some markers for the game.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »
Dinos , you know how much I like your markers and units . 😉😁👍

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 04:51:41 PM »
Wow, that's a really comprehensive battle report.  :) Lovely, lovely, lovely. Indeed a very underrepresented conflict (usually this coincides directly with how much of a legacy was built around the conflict in question in the UK). I'm incredibly unknowledgable about 18th century warfare I'm afraid, but it does look mighty fine. Also: Austrians. Always a welcome sight!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »
Dinos , you know how much I like your markers and units . 😉😁👍

I can fulfil three* wishes of yours! Just say it and it will be done!  lol

*or more

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »
Wow, that's a really comprehensive battle report.  :) Lovely, lovely, lovely. Indeed a very underrepresented conflict (usually this coincides directly with how much of a legacy was built around the conflict in question in the UK). I'm incredibly unknowledgable about 18th century warfare I'm afraid, but it does look mighty fine. Also: Austrians. Always a welcome sight!

It is always encouraging to hear so good words from a person like you, you have excellent command of the English language and your reports are fully comprehensive and much enjoyable!
I feel happy to write a full battle report and I always do not forget to mention the Orders of Battle  :)
On the net you may find some fine AARs with no OOBs  :'(

Yes, it is a very underrepresented conflict, one can't find a lot in English bibliography, in HoW forum I was lucky to meet Damnitz, who has studied the period extensively and has worked a number of scenarios from engagements formerly unknown to me
http://honoursofwar.com/thread/450/battles-historical?page=1&scrollTo=3504
Perhaps you may find some scenario that triggers your interest to recreate the period on table!

Austrians! I know they are your favorites, since we met in... Vienna  lol
Here you may find some 1/72 Austrian SYW plastics, 25+ years ago, when I started painting
http://honoursofwar.com/thread/521/years-ago-austrian-pics-games

Thank you again for finding the time to read my AAR and comment. Cheers!

Offline ArisK

• Bookworm
    • The Pear At War
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »
Dinos' 1/72 scale beauties are what gave us the initial means to start playing the SYW a few years back (and, when we agree to squint *just so* the WSS as well), with Volley&Bayonet. Although he's jumped ship to 15mm -and with some of the wonderful figures available there, who could blame him?- we'll still take them out from time to time to give them a spin.
Aris K.