Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:40:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VSF walker on my workbench updated Aug 31  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: VSF walker on my workbench new pics of gun mount comments appreciated
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »
Can you bring it up into the 'glacis plate?  Give that poor loader some room to work!!

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 07:36:46 PM »
That’s awesome , and fair play for having a great imagination/vision to see  the walker in those bits  ;)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 10:32:06 PM »
I like that a lot, although walkers ain't my thing. I am going to look out for one of those green (combine harvester?) bits for myself to use as an WW2 artillery radar fire direction centre, either on a wheeled trailer or on the back of a vehicle. Thanks for the idea!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 04:33:44 PM »
Chin mount or underslung look good. Chin mount looks like it's firing down on infantry, which makes sense.

DEFINITELY include the sponson.

What are you doing with the glacis anyway? At the moment it looks oddly plain and thereby out of place - perhaps a bit low too, that forward area is going to be cramped, especially with a chin mount or underslung gun. If you're planning driver's hatches and so forth, remember to leave room for the poor loader/gunner as well as a driver.

Also, if you don't put the main cannon underslung, I would still put something there. Not a weapon, but perhaps a winch or something, so it can carry or extract something.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 05:52:01 PM »
WOW! Thank you for all the comments!
LAF is the greatest.

Now to weigh out the ideas and suggestions.
I plan to work on this on Sunday, so hopefully will have more completed pictures by Monday.

I am leaning towards chin mount. I also think I will add something to the belly, most likely the belly mount without a gun, it would represent some of the mechanical workings.

I agree about the glacis right now it is just textured plastic card so I will be looking into that too, and yeah I am also thinking about keeping the sponson.

So I believe the main weapon will be a hotchkiss revolving gun with a mg mounted on the sponson. Hopefully room enough to turn a crank and feed the shells. Not the most powerful vehicle, but fits with my thoughts about VSF.

Room for the gunner? Hatches? Sod the gunner, he doesn't need to see just keep turning that crank  :)
May look at a viewing port or two as currently there is only the one at the top of the glacis, very limited viewing ability.

Again thanks everyone for the ideas and comments.
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 07:16:51 PM »
How about a cupola hanging down with an MG moult like an aircraft?

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men  gang aft a-gley...

So other matters required my attention this past weekend, and today finds me needing to leave the house for some non game related activities  :(

So all I can do today is tease with a couple of pictures of two other VSF items that I have roughly assembled, again these projects have been sitting around for a few years, but with my new found enthusiasm I hope to get them done this week. With plenty of rain in the forecast I will remain indoors and will have the time to complete these.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:33:23 PM by Menelduir »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: VSF walker on my workbench new pics of a couple of side projects
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 03:26:33 PM »
Love the tripod  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Re: VSF walker on my workbench Update Aug 31st
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 10:57:43 PM »
I have to be one of the most easily distracted people around. That said I have done more work on this project. The distracting occurs when I go looking for parts/material, then find something else that I had put away a while ago, and then pull it out. I now have a Martian tripod, and NEF or two, components for two more British tanks and some mobile gun platform.

But I have re focused my efforts on not one but two VSF walkers. I figure it is easier to make the parts for both walkers at once instead of trying to duplicate the efforts some time later.

I have reworked some aspects of the build. The glacis will be changing, as will the profile. I have moved the exhaust to the left side behind the sponson. The red hook thing in back is now part of a winch system. I have added wheels for a couple of pulley systems, one for the winch in back.  One the pics shows the belts attached (test) I have also located something to represent a periscope, and I have made vision slits out of slotta bases.

There may be further delays on this project as the missus is on vacation next week and appears to have plans to get me out of the basement, at least a couple of days.

Included below pics of the main project and pics of some of the distractions, a Martian walker with heat ray,  and a Driftwood tree WIP.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »
How about a cupola hanging down with an MG moult like an aircraft?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordenfelt_gun

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: VSF walker on my workbench updated Aug 31
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 04:45:18 PM »
Hey like that tree!
I REALLY want one of those green bodies (is it a combine harvester type farm toy?) is it a Britains toy?

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the comments

The green thing was a very cheap no name dollar store find. At one time the dollar stores around here carried a selection of farm toys. Basically a tractor towing a trailer with either a tank, a dump box, the harvester or some other piece of equipment that I did not recognize attached to the trailer.

Sadly that was some time ago as I really wanted some more of the dump trailers. (and harvesters) 
The first picture of this thread pretty much shows what it looked like prior to being mounted onto the four legs.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 10:13:39 AM »
Raised on a farm I can tell you that the green thing is a round baler, for making round hay bales.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 05:59:00 PM »
Raised on a farm I can tell you that the green thing is a round baler, for making round hay bales.

Thanks chaps. I will keep looking out in all the usual places.