Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:02:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VSF walker on my workbench updated Aug 31  (Read 4970 times)

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
VSF walker on my workbench updated Aug 31
« on: August 17, 2018, 11:00:38 PM »
Hi

While not in the same league as Tin Shed and his amazing cardboard creations, I offer up my re-purposing of toys and other junk. This is a project that has been hanging around in my mind and in junk/bits boxes for years.

As mentioned somewhere I have actually cleaned up my game room, and in particular my work table. Now I can finally get to work on some long over due projects. That said I woke up this morning and decided to tackle my walker project today.

I still have not figured out how to insert pictures into these posts except at the end...so comic life to the rescue again.
The green part is a farm toy from Dollarama from a few years back. I had always planned to use the excavators as tractor/tows for armoured infantry, but then realized the potential value in the arms as legs. Now I have far more tractors than I will ever need, but for the happy to have enough stuff to build two walkers.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:58:34 PM by Menelduir »
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: VSF walker on my workbench
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 11:07:37 PM »
I like that  8)

Big gun coming out the ‘front’?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 11:14:13 PM »
Like that very much!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:38:33 PM »
I'm flattered. But it's misplaced. As it's alot harder to convert and recycle existing items(and end up with something where the original parts aren't glaringly obvious in the finished model.)Than to start totally from scratch.

So I'll be watching your progress with interest.(once Partizan is out of the way of course  ;))

Mark.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 01:44:24 AM »
Big gun coming out the ‘front’?

Oddly uncertain how I will arm this. I was thinking of a sponson off the left side of the main structure (the elongated door), or maybe a gun from the front hull. Originally maybe just a machine gun, but I am looking at upgrading that idea.

Thank you for the comments, slow progress on the weekend, added some intermediary 'abdomen' between the legs and main structure. My big deep dive into my bits boxes became lets organize everything...I am so easily distracted. However weekdays are actually my more productive days, as I have plenty of alone time to work on stuff, so hopefully more work on Monday and Tuesday.

First picture show possible sponson location.
Second picture is a better look at the door details that helped to inspire me to use this as a walker
Third picture show front mounting option, either under the leading edge of the sloped surface on a roller, or on the front edge itself
Final picture just another idea I am toying with...

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:58:25 AM by Menelduir »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 07:53:33 AM »
Cracking build so far :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
The arms as legs idea is inspired

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 01:11:40 PM »
Thanks

Thoughts on a name for this, how about The Iron Duke, the profile kind of has a hook nose look to it, sort of reminiscent of 'old nosey'.  :D

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »
Having a large gun underslung on a central pivot would look cool. It would have to be trained/aimed carefully in order to fire in-between legs.

Might be too late given the build so far. Does the ladder fold up?
Pendrake

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
Interesting idea, I had not thought of that. Definitely something to ponder.
As for the ladder it is currently just pinned in place, as I continue to test out ideas.

Thanks for the suggestion, that is what I am looking for I had the basic outline in my mind for years, but not the details. I have enough arms/legs and torsos to build two of these.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 07:17:58 PM »
 :-* :-* Pretty clever use of the pieces!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »
A very inventive and creative use of parts; it's a great build! Can't wait to see how this one looks finished, and I've been taking notes, as your work is inspirational for future building projects. ;)

I had a bit of a gasp moment though, as I mistook the 'gothic' elements you used for the feet, for spires from the old plastic Epic Imperator Titan! Only on the second take did I recognise them for parts from the Pegasus Gothic Buildings/Ruins... lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
Couple of roughed in shots of the model with gun mounted.
Couple of options no real reason that the sponson could not be added to it even if one of the other gun options is selected.

Shout out to Pendrake the under slung mount is growing on me.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: VSF walker on my workbench new pics of gun mount comments appreciated
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 04:32:37 PM »
I think I prefer the chin mount as the underslung might cause a few leg problems if the timing is off  lol

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 07:02:28 AM »
I think I prefer the chin mount as the underslung might cause a few leg problems if the timing is off  lol

A mechanical interruptor, as pioneered by Fokker in WWI on his planes perhaps? Except this one would not be working with a spinning propellor, but with moving legs... :D

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 10:45:02 AM »
A mechanical interruptor, as pioneered by Fokker in WWI on his planes perhaps? Except this one would not be working with a spinning propellor, but with moving legs... :D

Making the ammunition miss the legs isn't straight forwards but add to that when the hips move it looks to me like the legs would foul the barrel.

I prefer the chin mount too. The original plastic molding you are using for the body even looks like it was designed to house the elevation adjustment, with the lateral adjustment coming from the rotation of the 'head'.

I do think the chin mount would be better with a smaller caliber gun though. The engineer in me is looking at the very High centre of gravity and the amount of energy in the recoil and thinking you get one shot then you have to stand the walker up again. (mind you the engineer in me doesn't believe in walker robots either... but i have to keep him quiet sometimes)

I like the idea of the sponson, but the asymmetry of it means you get a very odd arc of fire with only one. I guess thats a judgement call.