Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:54:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Solo Wargaming for Beginners  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
Solo Wargaming for Beginners
« on: August 18, 2018, 11:23:45 PM »
I've seen talk in places of solo play rulesets. I find the idea appealing because I'm an antisocial sort of fella and I have plenty of painted minis that would be even more characterful if I could give them genuine backstories from their triumphs and tragedies on the tabletop.
Having never played any games since W40k when I was about 15 I have no idea about good rulesets. Can anyone recommend a solo ruleset for sci-fi or post apocalypse that's easyish to learn?

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
Re: Solo Wargaming for Beginners
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 07:35:54 AM »
Same boat. The obvious starting poing is Pulp Alley which has a great little game system, is story focussed, and despite the name is not setting specific - though in that genericness it can be a little bland for SF&F and you may want to look for focussed rules later.

Offline davidmbrits

• Assistant
    • Zen & The Art of Miniature Painting
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 07:56:30 AM »
I use Troops, Weapons & Tactics from TooFatLardies for WWII solo play, combined with Platoon Forward, a campaign system for character and scenario generation. Platoon Forward is good because it generates one force randomly off blinds for the scenario and the TW&T rules operate on a card drawing mechanism meaning that turns are procedurally generated and of random length, keeping things interesting.

I find that the rules and scenario, coupled with a bit of role play on the solo players part works well.

Post-Apoc isn't generally too removed from modern tech, so WWII is still in the wheelhouse. For a Sci-Fi version you could use Quadrant 13 or even just borrow the card activation system and use your favourite rule set with some modding, I can't imagine 40k would be too hard to fiddle with.

Hope that helps, and best of luck with the solo endeavour. My experience has been most rewarding.

David
Visit my blog: http://zenartminipainting.blogspot.co.uk/
Follow me on Twitter @ZenMiniPainting

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 08:24:53 AM »
Specifically zombie setting than more general Post Apocalyptic v but I really enjoy the Walking Dead All Out War as a solo game.

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 09:32:09 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll do a little reading on each and see what might work best.

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 04:27:41 PM »
Pulp Alley also has a dedicated solo rules variant.

Offline Bartman

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 05:48:02 PM »
Check out the Two Hour Wargames rules system. It works great for solo play and you can add as much flavor as you choose too. You can get Chain Reaction for free. It'll give you a good idea if the system is for you or not. They have them for sale at their site and at the Rebel Minis site.

http://www.rebelminis.com/

http://twohourwargames.com/index.html

regards, Bill

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 05:51:29 PM »
Just thinking about this a bit more the games ive enjoyed more solo are usually ones with random activation (cards, drawing chits etc) isn't Beyond the Gates of Antares a variation on Bolt Action? I've played BA solo and it works OK.

Online Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 04:56:09 AM »
Just thinking about this a bit more the games ive enjoyed more solo are usually ones with random activation (cards, drawing chits etc) isn't Beyond the Gates of Antares a variation on Bolt Action? I've played BA solo and it works OK.
It is... D10 based which some who play both say is an improvement.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »
I guess the question to ask is: Do you want a game where you play both sides, or do you want a game where one side is controlled by some kind of AI rules mechanic?

In the first case, many rules can easily adapted to solo play.

In the second case, there are not that many rules around as far as I know. There is the fantastic Sellswords and Spellslingers by Ganesha Games (fantasy, although can be easily adapted to anything pre-gunpowder), then there is the aforementioned Chain Reaction system by TwoHour Wargames and Dan Mersey's Men Who Would be Kings includes a simple AI mechanic for playing solo.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 01:32:43 PM »
I would second Shandy’s suggestion for TMWWBKings rules , the AI is the best which I,ve encountered.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »
Don't forget about Lone Warrior. Plenty of ideas for solo games.

There are a bunch of ideas at Tabletop Diversions. It's mostly RPG related, but some of the mechanisms would work with wargames.

There's also Mythic Game Emulator and other such tools, designed to take the place of the gm/umpire

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 09:52:56 PM »
Thanks again for all the responses, I'm checking out chain reaction for starters. Thanks for the link to lone warrior, seems like it should be useful.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 06:42:57 AM »
My solo opponent is a cheat and a bastard. I hate him. I hope you find a better solo opponent.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 11:24:26 PM »
My solo opponent is a cheat and a bastard. I hate him. I hope you find a better solo opponent.

Do you find he's a bad loser also?

My son just got himself the new Warlord Strontium Dog game for when he's bereft of opponents. It has random activation and is sci-fi although obviously a very themed one.

You could adjust 40k simple by including chit drawn activation and alternate squad/character activation and movement.