Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:39:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Assistance Identifying a WW2 ship  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Smillie

• Librarian
    • dirtypaintpots
Assistance Identifying a WW2 ship
« on: August 20, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »
I'm doing some research into my now passed Grandfather's war record and while I wait on the MOD to dig his actual war record out off what ever dark hole its held in I wondered if anyone could identify the type of ship in the picture below.

My Grandfather served in the Royal Navy and this is likely some type of mine sweeper as this was his branch of service, however I am not sure what type of ship this is. I believe the picture would have been taken in the far east as he served much of his time there and likely dates from 1945 as most of the pictures we have are from the end of the war.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:40:10 PM by Smillie »
http://dirtypaintpots.blogspot.com  - The now defunct Blog

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Assistance Identifying a WW2 ship
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »
The gun at the back is ruining everything! It looks similar to a lot of minesweeper or sloop classes, but for that gun. Perhaps it was added in theatre.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Smillie

• Librarian
    • dirtypaintpots
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 07:54:57 AM »
Yes I thought so too, though it looks very permanent so I'm not sure it's a theatre addition.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »
Looks like a Black Swan class sloop to me.

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 02:08:59 PM »
All I could come up with is HMS Guardian (1932), a netlayer.

As you can see HMS Guardian has the same peculiar stern. She also has two masts and just one funnel.
I agree that the picture of HMS Guardian features a different gun and she has one more porthole on the upper stern structure.
Maybe she got a refit?
Sorry I cannot be of more help, but I just cannot find ships with that striking rear structure.
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 03:12:43 PM »
According to Wiki, in 1942 HMS Guardian was in Belfast for a refit and an upgrade of the anti-aircraft guns. Maybe this is her then, either during or post-refit (the two sailors seem to be dangling on a platform painting the outside). It might also explain why the rear window of the stern superstructure has been blocked up - perhaps it was something to do with the housing for the new gun?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 03:25:47 PM »
I think you're both right. The turret looks like a twin 4" and it's possible that replaced the open rear single it started with.