Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:32:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Outlaw King - upcoming Netflix movie on Robert the Bruce  (Read 8478 times)

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Outlaw King - upcoming Netflix movie on Robert the Bruce
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 09:28:56 AM »
battle scenes in CGI seem rather good...…..…...promising
at least they are making an effort! look forward to this..
Chris Pine can do a lot with little facial maovement :D

cheers
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 06:02:47 PM »
Will it be the true story of an Essex Boy who makes good and becomes king of Scotland?

Born on his father's estate in Writtle, he becomes an economic migrant and makes his way north for a better life...

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 09:00:52 AM »
That is strange I am pretty certain his mother never left Scotland.

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »
Robert's birthplace is unrecorded, but it was most likely Turnberry Castle in Ayrshire, the home of his mother Marjorie, Countess of Carrick. In any case, I am looking forward to seeing Outlaw King, and I hope that it is as good as the trailer suggests.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:59:03 PM by A Lot of Gaul »
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 08:31:54 PM »
I do remember reading that it was on the family's estate at Writtle. Even some Scottish authors state this or admit that it is likely and that they are unable to disprove the theory.

Unfortunately it was a long time ago I read this, I was checking to confirm the plaque at Writtle, so I cannot state where I read this...

Tim

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 10:21:39 PM »
Robert's birthplace is unrecorded, but it was most likely Turnberry Castle in Ayrshire, the home of his mother Marjorie, Countess of Carrick. In any case, I am looking forward to seeing Outlaw King, and I hope that it is as good as the trailer suggests.

With a lack of any records, the most logical argument is still that he was born at Turnberry due to the known timings of his father's movements south and the likelihood that his mother would have made the journey whilst pregnant at the time of year she would need to have travelled in. The Scottish writers referencing an English birth were, if I recall correctly, Victorian and were making speculative comments that may have suited their particular interests at the time.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 11:10:42 PM »
While trailer do looks cool arent helmets around 50 years to early?
Especially bascinets with faceplate in cavalry charge scene.

The guy himself had beautiful great helm on his seal..

I re watched Braweheart battles, most cavalry wears open bascinet but even there kings guards have great helmets.

Edit Holkham bible shows bascinets with visors and its only 20-40 years later

Close but that seal is still best source IMHO.
Close call. transition time most probably.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:39:31 PM by AWu »

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 02:22:36 PM »
Culminates in the Battle of Loudon Hill not Bannockburn - is there a sequel in the offing?

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 12:22:34 AM »
Very nice movie. For those fan to the subject i strongly advise it. :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 05:08:43 AM »
Enjoyable, scenically beautiful, some great locations and classy acting - Chris Pine and Florence Pugh are both great, considering neither has too much to work with. Great music. The usual shonky mix of costumes and armour from a range of about 200 years. The usual ‘the English are all monstrous evil ignorant bastards / the Scots are all hairy noble savages’ simplification and misrepresentation.
Great - but highly implausible - battle scene at the end, desperately trying to achieve a GOT ‘Battle of the Bastards’ level of intensity, and not quite succeeding.
All in all though, well worth the couple of hours to watch it, although it does feel distinctly truncated. There’s quite a long, leisurely build up - and then all wrapped up with indecent haste in the last 5 minutes, with a naff kind of ‘and then this happened’ set of captions, rather than actually finishing the movie and showing the rest of the story. Apparently the director had to take around half an hour of his preferred edit out of it. It shows. Still enjoyed it though. Three and a half stars out of five  ;)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 11:28:12 AM »
Saw it, enjoyed it. quite liked the pace and storytelling, different from your average Hollywood movie.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 02:31:32 PM »
I enjoyed it - I think it showed the Scots as capable of brutality as the English. It really makes clear just how Bruce’s family was affected but I’ll admit the chronology had me a bit - I thought they were really messing about with Bannockburn until I realised it was another battle all together; credit where it’s due, it didn’t telegraph that.

The cast seemed a bit of a GOT reunion or maybe an extended audition for the “LOTR” amazon prequel series.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 04:04:08 AM »
For the non costume/armour bean counters  :D it wasnt bad.

To echo Captian Blood - good music, long build-up to a quick climax.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 10:35:16 AM »
I enjoyed it. Was quite pleasantly surprised at how authentic it all felt (right down to the interiors being painted and bright, not dingy and cold stone like nearly every other medieval film).

The fighting was very brutal!

However,

SPOILERS

That battle at the end nearly soured the whole thing for me. The idea that King Edward II was surrounded by the Scottish force at the end, having a little duel with the Bruce and ultimately being let go is... bloody stupid. It undermines the whole rebellion to let THE KING OF FREAKING ENGLAND WALK OFF! This after they'd already dispensed with "chivalry" etc. Considering that the film reminds us that this wasn't Robert's final victory over England it really makes it even worse. What a stupid side note to an otherwise good end battle. Also, obligatory "everyone skirmishing wildly in a swirling mess and no helmets for the main dudes" fighting, eh?

END OF SPOILERS
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:05:16 PM by Gibby »

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 05:30:47 PM »
Fair comment re the final battle, tbh I’d more or less binned hopes of a realistic end battle scene.