Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:00:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Aether propulsion  (Read 5192 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Aether propulsion
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:25:26 AM »
Open discussion gents.

What are people’s preferred/perceived methods of propulsion in the Victorian aether.

Contemporary accounts would be valued as well.

Personally I like the style of the boilers with the reflective mirrors and some sort of shallow dish shape for the engine bit but would be interested to hear other people’s versions (with pictures  :D).

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Aether propulsion
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:32:43 AM »
I don't mind boilers - and propellers too - but something a tiny bit different which I like aesthetically (even if it's at the borders of Steampunk, and is more atmospheric than aetheric) are the engines of the Vanships in Last Exile and its successor anime series, with Claudia ore propulsion. Pic below:

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »
They look interesting. I keep meaning to get The Last Exile but always forget  ::)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 09:47:52 PM »
Rather like the idea of something that looks like (but obviously isn't actually isn't) a Jacob's Ladder for the visible bits of the engine.  Maybe as an array of them like a sailing ship's masts, but with a 360 degree layout, or maybe just a at the stern of the ship.

The Spelljammer fan in me also likes weird hybrid creature/sailing ship designs, but you need some outright magical stuff going on for that to work.  Nothing wrong with that, mind you - Victorians had some nutty beliefs about the supernatural and it isn't hard to imagine an alt-past where Tesla and Edison were techno-mages from two violently opposed arcanotech traditions.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 10:06:21 PM »
As you know I'm quite partial to the boiler and reflector set . To represent the propultion systems of larger vessels ( regardless of the scale ) But on smaller craft I find it sits less comfortably and looses it plausibility, and starts to feel more 40k Ork than Victorian.
This is model is getting near the lower end of plausible looking boilers for me.

Jim, it's a question that bugged me when I started building this white Elephant,as I wanted to build some sort shuttle craft/ tug. To go with it but a boiler just didn't work(for me.)

As for sources of inspiration I'd recommend. Looking at vintage issues of Popular science magazine started around the mid 1870's (ish),and Popular mechanics circa 1902. Personally I think there's usable ideas for VSF in these right up to the 1940's issues.
The high pressure diving suit is 1910 . For me its ideal for VSF. 

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 08:02:09 AM »
It’s the smaller craft that prompted the question really. Maybe electric motors would be the way for the smaller craft and have them with aetheric propellers  :?

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 09:48:22 AM »
Just stick on some gubbins or some fancy paint and just say it works :D
Remember though if you put on the fancy paint you need railway buffers to help you stop at the other end lol

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »
Call me old fashioned, but nothing beats the internal combustion engine, the older (and brassier - no pun intended) the better. My "unobtainium" usually revolves around how they managed to find efficient enough helium/whatever else to make their airships remain in the air with impossibly large weights underneath.

Online Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
Being Earth based and old fashion all my VSF human avionic technology is airbags, clockwork mechanisms, boilers, steam engines and propellers.

Of course there are some weird elements like Randominium too...but more for storyline and weapons than soaring aloft...
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 04:45:24 PM »
I wrote a whole thing on solar lanes and system transport if you remember. You should have a copy...

All based on bigger ships though, smaller craft would struggle outside an atmosphere due to the boiler sizes needed. Better with “handvavium” technology.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 04:47:43 PM »
You should have a copy...

Should I  o_o

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 04:51:27 PM »
Should I  o_o

Yep, it was part of the Sun King set up. I’ll attempt to look for it later.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 06:11:11 PM »
Perhaps it's technology that creates an aether field and charges magnetrons up and then fires them through an EMDrive to create reactionless thrust? The EMDrive aether thrusters would be suitably Victorian looking too, big copper thrusters.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 02:09:43 AM »
For aether travel I see it more along the lines of cyclers in the form of huge tenders carrying non-aether capable riders attached to them a la Traveller battleriders or like Dune Spacing Guild heighliner transports. The cyclers have the fragile vane-spike handwavium aether field propulsion thingys, extra supplies, cargo, and shared/luxury facilities for the long journey with berths for the non-aether riders. There are a few national ones, many multinational cyclers which run more frequently/regularly and used by everyone, and some commercial (private) ones with only a few dedicated aether warships or exploration vessels. Being neutral ground for the multinational and commercial cyclers, opposing factions riding on the same cycler would make for some intrigue on the voyage but limited by the risk of being blacklisted or sanctioned.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 05:25:38 PM »
EM Drive thruster