Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:58:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ECW gaming with out measuring with For King and Parliament  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
ECW gaming with out measuring with For King and Parliament
« on: August 22, 2018, 03:43:17 PM »

ECW Action with 'For King and Parliament'

Last week Nick & I had our first game of For King and Parliament.
I have been an ECW gamer for many, many year. It was one of the first periods that I collected figures for and I used to be a member of both the SK and ECWS, but have not had my figures out on the table for over a decade.

I also really enjoyed playing ECW with Piquet:Anchor of Faith, but my regular opponent, Nick is not a fan of that set, so I'm delighted to have found a set that we are both happy to use. Now that we have found them, expect a lot more posts and photographs on this subject as it is very much a favorite period rediscovered!

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Hobby-Blog/To-be-the-Strongest-For-King-Parliament
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: ECW gaming with out measuring with For King and Parliament
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »
Nice looking game.

Our group has really enjoyed FKaP as a game - that includes players who are ECW buffs, and those of us who are more into the game, but are enjoying the historical side too. The rules really seem to work, they crack along at a good pace, work well with multiple players, and seem to give a good historical feel.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 02:36:01 AM »
Looks great. :) 

I also really enjoyed playing ECW with Piquet:Anchor of Faith, but my regular opponent, Nick is not a fan of that set, so I'm delighted to have found a set that we are both happy to use.
Seems that ECW is one of those periods where players have a hard time agreeing on suitable rules. I would love to give FK&P a shot but I doubt my ECW opponent would be in to them; they don't seem like his kind of rules.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:36:00 AM »
It would be well worth trying to get them to try FKaP. The rules are much easier to follow than To the Strongest - our group had looked at TtS a few years ago, and couldn't get started, but with FKaP we were up an running very quickly and easily. We have now gone back to TtS and enjoy it too.

Within our group there are players who are big Warhammer style game fans - and they really like FKaP even though it couldn't be further from WH in mechanisms and play style.

Online bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
Hi chaps- glad you are having fun!

Codsticker- don't know where you are in the world, but Andrew and I have a big participation game* coming up at Colours in Newbury, you could drag your mate along and play...  It's an unusual system... On the one hand, we've tried to carefully model the troops and tactics of the ECW. On the other, the mechanics are fast, brutal and some aspects would certainly appeal to players from a WAB background. There's often a deal of swearing, but in a good way.  :-)

Best, Simon

* The largest yet- 20 or so 28mm battalia and more than a dozen regiments of horse.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 12:39:23 AM »
Thank you, sounds awesome, but I am on the other side of the world.

Maybe next year... :D

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 06:49:58 AM »
What is the “without measuring” aspect of this?
Pendrake

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 07:58:50 AM »
The game uses a gridded table, so there is no need for rulers or tape measures. You just count boxes, and it’s usually just 1or 2 so it is very quick to move units.

The grid can be pre-printed, some of the modern ones have very fine lines which work to show you the boxes, but don’t overload the mat visually. Or they can be marked temporarily by marking the corners, eg with small stones, or clump foliage.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »
Yes, so because we were playing on terrain made from 12" Terra-Former tiles we could just imagine the center, mentally divide the 12" tile into four 6" tiles without anything else needing to be done. It worked very well and certainly speeds things up and saves arguments!