Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:41:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Play test of Horse and Musket Rules  (Read 2041 times)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Play test of Horse and Musket Rules
« on: August 23, 2018, 10:42:06 AM »
I have recently got the fistful of lead - Horse and Musket rules.
We ran a quick game last night on my Jacobite table, just a quick hash of one of the scenarios.
In this case it was a small group of Jacobite defending a farm from the vengeful redcoats.
We didn't have any figures to use as the settlers in the scenario so we just upped the number of defenders from four to five with the farm being attacked by 10 Redcoats. We agreed that All the figures were armed with at least a pistol on top of what the actual figure had.
The Jacobites went first and opened fire on some of the redcoats coming out of a wood from the east of the farm and on par with the rest of the game totally missed, the redcoats advanced from both the east and west laying done very accurate cover fire managing to pick off the Jacobites cowering behind their hard cover walls.

For the loss of a single man the redcoats managed to advance right up to the farm with the NCO armed with a Halberd jumping over the wall and advancing across the farm yard to engage the last remaining foes and after a short fight one more redcoat was dead but so were the remaining jacobites

Over all it was a quick fun, blood thirsty game with some very bad dice rolling from my brother, his one good roll of a 10 was cancelled out by a roll of 10 for the Halberd(+1) armed NCO.

Some picture of the action my brother may get over the shame of defeat and post some he took 

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Play test of Horse and Musket Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »
Jolly good report, glad you like the rules  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 12:16:21 PM »
Game?.....what game?!? I don't remember any game! ::)

I couldn't believe those rolls. Shite all the way through, then I roll a 10 in close combat, only for him to beat me by rolling a 10 himself, but winning by having a better weapon! >:(

Here's a pic of the farm, with the lads defending the stash of Stornoway Black Pudding and tattie scones!

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:34:59 PM »
Excellent stuff...

Having played about 10 scenarios using these rules we have introduced a few house rules that might be interesting to others

1. Figures can only take two wounds not three. Heroes all get three
2. The attacker in melee gets +1 to hit unless defender in cover in which case they get +1
3. Cavalry is underpowered...they get +3 to hit in charge, +1 thereafter
4. If you hit horsemen die to see if horse or rider hit ..if horse and suffers death or severe wound rider thrown and starts next turn shaken

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:57:28 PM »
Nice report, one of my favoured set of rules for Border reivers. What make is the croft I havent seen that one before. I like the rule suggestions I will give them a go next time I play a game.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 02:28:03 PM »
Excellent stuff...

Having played about 10 scenarios using these rules we have introduced a few house rules that might be interesting to others

1. Figures can only take two wounds not three. Heroes all get three
2. The attacker in melee gets +1 to hit unless defender in cover in which case they get +1
3. Cavalry is underpowered...they get +3 to hit in charge, +1 thereafter
4. If you hit horsemen die to see if horse or rider hit ..if horse and suffers death or severe wound rider thrown and starts next turn shaken
sounds like some interesting additions may try them out, thanks Giles

Nice report, one of my favoured set of rules for Border reivers. What make is the croft I havent seen that one before. I like the rule suggestions I will give them a go next time I play a game.
The croft is scratch built same as all the rest of the buildings and walls on that table built for this game on the following thread
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=84023.msg1122027#msg1122027 

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »
Great game and terrain. You might up the Jacobites numbers a bit. The original scenario takes into account the Indians have poorer morale in the open, so more likely to run. Ofcourse, that doesn't matter if you can't hit them! lol
In the many times we have run this at cons, the Attacker wins a little more than half the time.
All good house rules. Melee has changed a wee bit in Galactic Heroes, so stay tuned for Horse&Musket 2.0.

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 02:56:45 PM »
Nice bat rep guys,looks like we'll all need to be up to speed with these rules for Blam 18  :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 03:00:23 PM »
Excellent stuff...

Mark and I have developed a table with specific results for figures on horseback being shot at. Will be using it at BLAM for my True Grit game.

Splendid looking game as well Colin. Good to see those Jacobite rebels being put in their place ;) lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »
Great looking game and AAR.

RMZ

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 06:26:54 PM »
Nice looking game, welcome to the FFoX gang  :)
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 08:16:47 PM »
Awesome mate. When do we get to see some of my boys on that table. Give me a shout when you are playing :)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »
All nice, scenery, figures, report & ammendments.
My mat Vodkafan & I have picked up Jacobites from Flags of war kickstarter.
We too are recent converts to FFoL (great stable of rules, fun & quick).
We plan unit games, but I might base some singly, with a view to use sabot bases
for the units. That way we will get to play with the nice figures sooner.