Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:39:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Adding 3rd party galleries  (Read 2815 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Adding 3rd party galleries
« on: August 24, 2018, 11:34:01 PM »
I'm wondering how I can embed an IMGUR album into a post, and I'm sure users of other photo hosts would like to know similar for theirs... although now having asked I'm beginning to suspect everyone might already know this.

Hosting photos and then hotlinking to them here can be very time consuming, esp. if you visit a few forums, so this is a handy feature I think, dunno just me?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Adding 3rd party galleries
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 11:15:57 PM »
Right now I just find the source image - right click / open in new tab/ paste it.

As I'm used to doing the same for sites like Facebook or Wordpress, it doesn't seem as much of an issue to do it here either. I tend to upload my images to one site, then do that to show it on others - rather than individually upload it to each site (as some sites like Facebook would prefer).

The infrastructure of this forum seems similar to the other ones I'm on. Where those ones just offer better linking to the forum's own gallery, but that's moot if you're pulling the image from another source.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 04:06:00 AM »
I hink I wrote a similar reply on a different thread - do you have an example we could try out?

I'm hesitant to open another account with an image hoster after the PS debacle, but the help section I found on imgur's site seemed to suggest only individual images coukd be embedded, not galleries, and it appeared the sludeshow was an "on-site only" feature.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 03:43:57 PM »
Sure here's a test album: https://imgur.com/a/q60Mo

Here's that album linked on Reddit, if you look you can see it's embedded itself and can be flicked through on that post:https://www.reddit.com/r/minipainting/comments/9bae3w/imgur_album_test_please_ignore/

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 06:14:56 PM »
Sure here's a test album: https://imgur.com/a/q60Mo

Here's that album linked on Reddit, if you look you can see it's embedded itself and can be flicked through on that post:https://www.reddit.com/r/minipainting/comments/9bae3w/imgur_album_test_please_ignore/

How did you embed the album to reddit? Just by adding the URL to the post, or did reddit have a special tagging for it, or did you use a special variant of the embed code provided on the imgur site?

I suspect there must be a choice of embed codes provided on the gallery page (which I cannot see since I am not logged on, I assume).

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 06:39:43 PM »
I generally rick klick the picture in Imgur, click "copy image location" and paste that in LAF, then sellect that link and press the image button which puts the [ IMG] code around it to display it properly. Yeah that's still 3 actions per image and its not great, but it works.

Imgur was originally created as an image hosting site specifically for Redit, so there is special integration there which means if you post just a imgur link it will show up as an album.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 05:07:38 PM »
How did you embed the album to reddit? Just by adding the URL to the post, or did reddit have a special tagging for it, or did you use a special variant of the embed code provided on the imgur site?

I suspect there must be a choice of embed codes provided on the gallery page (which I cannot see since I am not logged on, I assume).

Just posted the URL and reddit did the rest.

There are half a dozen options of code on individual images on IMGUR, there is one embed option on albums, this hadn't occured to me so I hadn't even noticed it, so I'll try it here:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/q60Mo"><a href="//imgur.com/q60Mo">6mm WW2 British Para&#39;s (Adler, GHQ, Amphimods)[/url]<script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

e2a: I don't know if what I've posted is correct or not, but it doesn't work.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 05:10:52 PM »
I generally rick klick the picture in Imgur, click "copy image location" and paste that in LAF, then sellect that link and press the image button which puts the [ IMG] code around it to display it properly. Yeah that's still 3 actions per image and its not great, but it works.

Imgur was originally created as an image hosting site specifically for Redit, so there is special integration there which means if you post just a imgur link it will show up as an album.

Sure but some of mine are 30+ images, and will be added to, plus this isn't the only place I'd post them. I'd like something seamless really.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
Hm, it looks to be HTML code that embeds a Javascript-based content container, but as far as I know, the SMF board software only accepts bb-code, not HTML.

I'm afraid it will not work, but I'll look into it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:05:35 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 08:50:21 PM »
Thanks Chris.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 09:34:39 PM »
Any joy with this? ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 04:26:15 AM »
Unfortunately, no... it appears the package will not accept HTML snippets, possibly for security reasons.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »
Oh okay, thanks for looking at it for me. I'd have thought they'd make it friendlier and sharable.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 01:12:07 AM »
Just seen this done over on RP here, first post: http://www.randomplatypus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4385&sid=1c65fe6f653e3d856da9cbf8e2a980b6#wrap

It uses an imgur tag...

[imgur]AKus13L[/imgur]

e2a
Suddenly realised that imgur might provide suitable code, this is what the embed code is:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/Sab2i"><a href="//imgur.com/Sab2i">Salute 2014[/url]<script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not sure about that as it has a closing URL tag but not an opening one.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 01:05:23 PM by 6milPhil »