Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:30:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690710
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The BiG Roman Fort Build. 24th-27th August 2018.  (Read 860 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
The BiG Roman Fort Build. 24th-27th August 2018.
« on: August 25, 2018, 08:51:55 AM »
If your stuck for something to do this Bank holiday weekend. Then you might want  to Visits Past in the Park outside the Village of Hope near Chester.
The site is open to the public. The museum isn't technically open(on account of you having to build it.)
I'm unable to post a like( new forum mechanics aren't allowing me to,from my phone.)
The official website is terrible finding anything about the event is awful. You have go to latest events  click on the small menu icon above the word Blog. Then that drop down menu has Roman fort build hidden away on it.Then you have to follow that. To find very little more than this artist impression of the finished fort.
 :?
How do I know its actually on? One of my hats says something waffling about  museum displays. All so I'm supposed to be there but I can't make it. my friends have gone.
The thing that makes it interesting for you chaps is . That its being built by dozens of Roman re enactments groups, all have been asked to wear their kit,and bring their period camps. Theirs talk of put on displays on an evening(I can see this fading away after a second days labour as there's a lot of office desk jockeys amongst them .Having done similar stuff getting, out of your pit the next morning should prove interesting for some lol.)
Still if you don't manage to go its going to take a lot longer than a bank holiday weekend end to build. So there will be plenty to keep an eye out for.

Mark

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: The BiG Roman Fort Build. 24th-27th August 2018.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 09:08:43 AM »
I'm going to this on Sunday hopefully. I've heard good things about the park in general but haven't made it there yet. Looking forward to it!

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 11:57:30 AM »
Thanks for this.

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/parkinthepast/

Website -http://parkinthepast.org.uk/

Looks pretty exciting.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »
The minis are lovely, but the flat look of the MDF buildings is always disappointing.... hang on?! [SQUINT]

:D

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »
Attended on Monday. Quiet start as they'd called off the previous day due to the rain and had been partying hard at night apparently  :D

Thoroughly enjoyable morning, experimental archaeology in progress and great to watch. I do recommend a visit to this project at some point and, if you feel like, join them online and possibly donate a little to help them along.

http://www.parkinthepast.org.uk/restoring-the-past
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:58:51 AM by The Dozing Dragon »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 05:14:13 PM »
Party would be an understatement. I was the only one fit for Stav. Last night . lol Still on the bright side two and half hour training with an instructor,and a master. On my tod means I am very aware of which bits of mats the cleaner missed. ::).
One Tony and Ross remember what they did with the company camera I'll hopefully find some pictures I can post that don't incriminate anyone.
Mark.