Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:00:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Round of Fire Legends  (Read 4859 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Round of Fire Legends
« on: August 25, 2018, 05:22:07 PM »
Cheers everyone!

A few of you might remember my Round of Fire rules, that I wrote as a general skirmish system which is setting free, but I mostly played in modern-to-scifi settings.
The core manual (that is on WgV: https://www.wargamevault.com/product/227996/Round-of-Fire--Core-Rules ) presents several factions and unit profiles for modern combat, but i've been working on a Fantasy expansion for a long time.

Now, i ALMOST have a completed version (and some time will be spent on layout and illustration, just like for the original RoF), but it's dense enough to allow full warbands compositions, magic, monsters and races.
With the freshly made new factions and profiles, we tried our first game today!

Showing here the band of my opponent. 16 points.

First, the Errand Knight with his Squire (4 Points + 1 Accuracy and 1 Troops Tokens). It's a Knight subclass, slightly more rugged but with an extra pair of hands.

A Vagabond Warrior (4 Points + 1 Speed Token) follows. Faster than the rest of the army, it's a subclass of a Captain.

A group of Pikemen (3 Points + 1 Offence Token), subclasses of the Infantrymen. Basically, armed with war spears and slightly better armored.

Some more infantrymen (3 Points), this time not subclassed. The fancier one has better amour, the others use bucklers rather than shields: no additional defense, but quicker counterattacks.

Finally a band of Paesants (2 Points), subclass of the Thugs. An additional figure is added, and they are all equipped with basic bows.

Just a few pictures of the battle.
The table was laid out quickly. On a side you can see the characteristic Round of Fire's Wheel.

The Knights fought some dwarves, but since they were shamelessly unpainted and not based they won't appear much in pictures.
After deployment, the Knight's army detached in two: the main body advanced towards the dwarves (only 8 heavily armoured figures, they didn't split), while the quick Vagabond with the three Infantrymen tried to outflank the dwarves.

Here the two forces facing each other:

Without caring too much about tactics, the pikemen and the knight advanced in the open field, but the dwarven crossbows killed two pikemen with their first volley.
Crossbows, having the Reload 2 rule, must spend a 2-steps action between shootings to reload. Still, they're deadly.

With a terrifying but considerably slow charge, the dwarves' berseker followed by three young warriors filled the distance between the two lines, and dealt a terrible hit to the Knight's forces. Well, the Berseker did, but two of the young warriors went out of combat when facing the Errand Knight's sword.

Trying to slow down the slaughter, the archers attacked the berseker and the remaining warrior with their daggers. Daggers are very quick and can be dangerous, but the profile of the thugs is... very basic. They didn't deal much of a damage, and went out quickly.

The rest of the Knight's army was meanwhile occupied with the other dwarven's Hero. With an additional 2 Points spent for him, he got 3 Hero Time tokens and a free reroll, which saved his a** and allowed him to resist all that time. With the main force depleted, the Knights had to retreat quickly.

Not an extensive AAR, but still something, i'm definitely not used to that kind of stuff.

I'm open for questions, and if you're curious about the Wheel mechanism, I suggest to take a peek at the free preview of the manual on Wargames Vault.
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/227996/Round-of-Fire--Core-Rules

Cheers,
Jack
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:59:46 AM by Sangennaru »

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Round of Fire Legends - With AAR
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 05:50:29 PM »
Sounds great so far, Jack  :D

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 09:21:59 PM »
A very interesting development

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »
Sounds great so far, Jack  :D

Thank you! :) The army composition is now much more fluid, and easiery to use!

A very interesting development

It did take a while, but i'm happy on how it's turning out!

Stay tuned, more will follow!
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 07:59:32 AM »
As a little update: some badass figures are being slowly completed, for my own warbands.

Two Northern Raiders, an Infantryman and a Veteran.

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Round of Fire Legends
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 03:33:54 PM »
Slowly, improving stuff.

The interactive PDF seems to work well with the new changes in the rules as well. I'm working on a software to fill the sheets automatically, but it's a bit early now.

Here a berserker with its corresponding character sheet. Meant to be printed in an A5, so that a band would need only 4-5 of these.

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »
Slowly progressing while slaloming another plethora of ongoing projects, here's a few "scenario mobs":
The base kit is GW (i know, right?), but i did mod them a bit, both changing poses and with fur and additional details on them.

Here the first painted model of the set.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 10:58:37 PM »
Sweeeeeeeet! Looking forward to this one.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 12:07:40 AM »
I'm curious about your RoF rules, but have to say I absolutely love your painting style and conversions. I actually saw that painted skeleton on a Facebook group earlier and think it looks stunning. Can't believe those are all GW skeletons, you've really made them unique. The men-at-arms and knights look pretty nice too - what manufacturers are they?
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 09:20:00 AM »
Thank you both! =)
The figures on square bases are painted by a friend of mine. He's waays more old-style, so his figures are mostly old GW bretonnia and Claymore Casting. If you like old school, Claymore is simply exceptional: they keep the old proportions but their figures are incredibly characterized. :)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 12:59:25 PM »
Some more  pics from the last two "complete" games:

Game 1 - at the club, using a newly made HUGE tree (from a bonsai) with four players:

The second - in an abandoned church of sort. Using the Fenris Games' ruins i sculpted last year!

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 12:59:31 PM »
Duplicate post - my apologies.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:18:54 PM by Sangennaru »

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 03:15:56 AM »
Any idea when these new fantasy rules will be ready? Very intrigued.
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 07:23:43 AM »
Any idea when these new fantasy rules will be ready? Very intrigued.

Cheers!

I'm VERY close to finishing the CORE RULES of Round of Fire V2. These will contain all the mechanics for the game. Of course, these need to have a Setting manual to work with (either scifi or fantasy, or both) which are still being under works.

If you join the facebook group, I'm being fairly active recently.

It is hard to give a projected ETA, mostly because it's just me working on all of that at the moment. :( But i'll be looking for playtesters soon-ish.

Cheers
Jack

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 11:14:52 PM »
Some more figures painted for the project:

All of the above are for the Questing Knights faction. Another dozen figures are in the queue, it'll just take some more time.

Cheers,
Jack
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:17:55 PM by Sangennaru »