Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:36:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's new ACW project  (Read 57908 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Nick's new ACW project
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2018, 09:31:43 PM »
It is rare to meet a collection being done so quickly and so historically documented!
This is due to your talent and devotion, so many-many congratulations!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2018, 10:04:12 PM »
OOOH-WEE they look good!
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2018, 11:08:58 PM »
Thanks for your kind words. It's also shown me what can be achieved with utter obsession.

God bless our funny little hobby.

Side effects?

Running Civil War themed You Tube videos in the background has meant I'm off to see the Dead South next year (who I'd never heard of before)
& I catch my family humming Rebel Soldier around the house  lol

I'll post pictures of the 14th North Carolina next, the unit who's flags I've pondered over the most. I even joined the big Civil War forum to pose questions about them, but came up with blanks.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2018, 12:20:28 AM »
That is an impressive collection Nick  :o

Offline TimeMachine

• Lurker
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2018, 02:58:07 AM »
  Your project is just the inspiration I needed to dust off my paints! I'm finally (!) starting work on 28mm units from the '62 Valley campaign. As a life-long student of Civil War material culture, it does my heart good to see your dedication to properly researching the commanders & standards. 

Regarding the color of the sashes, the official specifications are in the 1861 publication 'Uniform and dress of the Army of the Confederate States'. The regs, along with their full color uniform plates, can be viewed at the fantastic Library of Congress (LOC) website.   "General officers" were to wear buff sashes, "field grade" infantry, Cavalry & artillery officers were to wear Crimson and NCO's were to wear Red sashes. There is a full color plate showing an infantry Colonel wearing what appears as a dark red sash. 
To confirm what they actually wore in the field I double checked several books & online museum sources for ACW relics and equipment. Based on surviving relics, it appears that they did follow the regs (at least on sashes!) Every Confederate (and Federal) Colonels sash pictured in 'Echoes of Glory', etc  is indeed a dark red/Crimson color.

Basically, the CS regulations on sashes copied verbatim the specs in the 'Revised United States Army regulations of 1861' which can also be seen online. That document is a large treasure trove of official info on the Union army. Everything from how a camp was to be laid out to..... the length of the flagpoles is there (just over nine feet)  :)   
Again, thanks for the inspiration, those are great looking regiments!

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2018, 03:47:07 AM »
Wow!....  :o
Have not been to this thread for awhile and you have been busy.
Very inspiring.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2018, 07:54:09 AM »
Thanks TimeMachine. I think I'll be repainting sashes again.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:06:54 AM by nicknorthstar »

Offline Kev Dallimore

• Schoolboy
    • Kevin Dallimore’s personal site of model and figure painting
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2018, 08:48:35 AM »
Thanks TimeMachine. I think I'll be repainting sahes again.

me too

Offline AlyMorrison

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2018, 07:39:28 PM »
Splendid stuff Nick...
Dead South... an excellent band...

From Canada... :D

All the best.  Aly
YES!... I KNOW I AM A BUTTERFLY.
http://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #159 on: November 07, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
Any plans to vary the size of your regiments Nick?

Gareth

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #160 on: November 07, 2018, 08:14:25 PM »
Yes and No.

I'm painting them in these units of 16, but it isn't necessarily how they'll be used.

For example, I've used them in two games of Longstreet so far, and they were broken up into units of 6 bases (24 figures).

Two units in 2 lines will make very respectable 32 man Black Powder units. I was looking at the scenario in Pickets Charge by 2 fat lardies and in there the units are between 3 and 6 bases.

So I'm not going change the painting routine, but how they are fielded is another story.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #161 on: November 07, 2018, 09:20:20 PM »
Unless some kind fellow can direct me to a reliable source for ACW unit strengths for each engagement, I am intending to use a bit of random generation to the size of each unit before each game.

So on a D10 roll:
1 = 4 bases
2 = 5 bases
3 to 8 = 6 bases
9 = 7 bases
10 = 8 bases

I think this will help spice things up a bit.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #162 on: November 08, 2018, 02:32:41 AM »
Numbers could be all over the place. But in 1863 Confederate veteran regiments were generally larger than veteran Union regiments because CSA recruits often went to veteran outfits, while most Union recruits went to new regiments, which were large and green. Veteran Union outfits were 200-400 or so. Needless to say, exceptions were the rule.

I was looking at ANV units strengths in early 1864. The cavalry regiments were generally larger than the infantry, since the infantry took much heavier losses.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #163 on: November 08, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »
Numbers could be all over the place.

This is what I found across several sources, so the random unit size generation seems reasonable, however, given what you have stated, I might well allocate some modifiers to my dice system for certain unit types.

Apologies Nick for hijackings your post with this conversation. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:46:14 AM by Lord Raglan »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2018, 12:50:21 PM »
No worries.

I'd been thinking the same myself. What is amazing is how resilient the formations were. Units half destroyed at South Mountain stand in the frontline at Antietam a few days later.

Part of the reason I went for 4 bases is Chris Peers is threatening to draft a set of ACW rules based around the 4 base units. In those rules, he suggests actual numbers were not that important to the performance of the unit. I'm no expert, but the evidence of The Bloody Lane at Antietam does seem to support that theory. So the 4 bases represent a formation of men, rather than an actual number. 'Course the draft rules may arrive and he's completely changed his mind.