Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690463
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's new ACW project  (Read 57850 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Nick's new ACW project
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »
The 2nd North Carolina.
This is the 4th and final regiment in Anderson's Brigade defending the Sunken Road.

I've photographed them unbased, I'll be basing them to go with the rest of the army this evening.

Uniforms.
I picked out the Crusader Miniatures in sack coats for the 2nd NC. I decided to follow the uniform books on the North Carolina regiments rather than the campaign reality of the ragged Rebs. This is the equivalent of painting the Grenadier Guards in parade ground dress rather than in dirty overcoats. The grey uniform I've done them in (pic2), with the black shoulder board and black seam trim, is how they would have been kitted out in the beginning of 1862. As we've seen in previous posts, the jacket got shorter over '62, and chances are even that uniform would have been in tatters by Antietam. But not for this lot! Although this is just me wanted to paint an NC uniform as they 'ought' to have looked, I noticed in the Black Powder ACW supplement the authors were saying this uniform may still have been in use late '62, and this picture is titled Antietam:

Flag.
The first 10 North Carolina regiments were issued with a unique silk banner when they marched to war. Although it is similar to the standard flag of North Carolina, what made it unique was the painted scroll work. The regiments were keen to hang onto them rather than furl them up in preference to a battleflag of the Army of Northern Virginia, the 3rd NC hung onto theirs as well. This flag of the 2nd NC was captured by the Yanks in early 1863, and they were given a 3rd Bunting battleflag of the ANV then, which was lost at Gettysburg.
This paper flag is from Flags of the Lads, and is accurate, with the 6 pointed star on the reverse (pic 3), but it's a bit too large. I hand painted 2nd NC on, this is sold as a 3rd NC flag. I think if I can source a smaller version, this colour will get changed.

Commanding officer.
The 2nd NC was commanded by Colonel Charles Courtenay Tew. I didn't do any facial hair modelling here, because I thought just painting his 'tasche on would suffice. (pic 5).

I also tried to give him a more decorated uniform, within the constraints of this being a quickly painted army, to show the arm and kepi knotwork Confederate Colonels favoured. pic 6

There's an interesting aside about Colonel Tew. In many of the accounts of Antietam, his story is included. That is because when Brigade General Anderson was wounded, Colonel Tew took over command of the Brigade. He went to meet Colonel Gordon of the 6th Alabama, and was shot through the head while talking to him (Gordon was also hit, one of his many that day). Tew's body was never recovered, and in fact rumours were abound that he didn't die and his father went looking for him after the war. But there was a story from the battle that a private of an Ohio regiment came across the dying Tew sat against a tree holding his sword. When the soldier reached out to take the sword, Tew with his dying breath drew the sword closer to his body, then passed away. The sword had been presented to him by his military school cadets before the war, and had his name inscribed on it. The sword was never recovered.
Until 2015! It was found in a Canadian barracks. It has now been returned to the Military Academy Tew was from. https://library.citadel.edu/c.php?g=489190&p=3379889 

Fascinating, especially when you consider the family were looking for the sword after the war, and received letters from Union soldiers saying they buried Colonel Tew at Antietam with his sword etc.

On that interesting last note, I bid you farewell. This is the last post I'll do on this project now, I think I've got enough to game with now!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:17:57 AM by nicknorthstar »

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2018, 02:18:22 PM »
Those look terrific!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »
Neat paintjob!
A great looking regiment!
Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »
One smart looking outfit.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #199 on: December 01, 2018, 12:05:04 AM »
NO don't go!  :o  I want to see those full army pics you promised! And some game reports.....
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2018, 09:00:43 AM »
NO don't go!  :o  I want to see those full army pics you promised! And some game reports.....

Agreed!!!!! This has been as informative as it has been inspirational. I would love to see this collection in action!
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2018, 10:29:58 AM »
Encore.. encore..

I thought I'd start a new thread on the games they'll be in? Maybe I'll add a note of any new threads here. I've received Chris Peers' draft set of ACW rules which was the reason why I'd based the figures in the way I had. I hope to give them a run through soon.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »
I have really enjoyed following this from the very beginning. A really wonderful project and full of interesting gems.
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2018, 07:17:12 PM »
Encore.. encore..

I thought I'd start a new thread on the games they'll be in? Maybe I'll add a note of any new threads here. I've received Chris Peers' draft set of ACW rules which was the reason why I'd based the figures in the way I had. I hope to give them a run through soon.

This thread was extremely enjoyable! Eagerly waiting to see all this fine collection in action! Cheers!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2018, 12:18:20 PM »
Epilogue.

I've just finished one more Johnny Reb. Taking all I've picked up over the past few months, this is probably the how I originally envisaged the defenders of Bloody Lane.

He comes at the end, because Mark Sims of Crusader Miniatures has just made a 'one-off' barefoot figure to fit in with the rest of the range, and I couldn't resist painting him up.

He'll more than likely be part of Cobb's Legion, a unit placed on the far left of Bloody Lane, so I'll do another bunch of figures to make a full unit. (Without a flag, Cobb's lost theirs to the Yanks 2 days before on South Mountain).

Cheers
Nick
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:41:11 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2018, 10:50:58 AM »
Is that Hedge?

It looks like him...

Oh, and I want some please......

And a go with Chris' ACW rules - in the New Year obvs!
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Beowulf5

• Lurker
« Reply #206 on: December 05, 2018, 10:24:19 PM »
Great project Nick!

Cory

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2018, 11:40:38 PM »
I did promise to show the new figures in action in this thread, so here's tonight's game.
I've used them in some Longstreet games with Grimjack over the past few weeks. Tonight I playtested the ACW rules I mentioned at the very beginning of the thread written by Chris Peers.
The game is based on Death in the Dark continent, Chris' colonial rules. The game was fast and furious, maybe a little too much so. We're thinking the encouragement to get into close combat could do with calming down.
The game was a meeting engagement, the Rebs won the roll for the side that had the stone wall closer, so they made for the wall, while the Feds chose to avoid a direct attack and come in the left and right flanks. In swirl of fire and close combat, neither side looked to have the upper hand as night fell.
We finished with lots of questions to go back to Chris with, and I'm looking forward to the next game.

The photos show the Rebs, the Yanks, the left flank and the right flank.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »
Always good to see the troops in action.

Did you have any variation in the troop and commander's abilities in this game?

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
No, we went vanilla first game, everything average.