Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:38:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686644
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's new ACW project  (Read 57404 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Nick's new ACW project
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2018, 08:19:59 PM »
The ragged look you achieved is fan-tas-tic! Please, keep 'em coming! They look superb!!!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2018, 09:38:38 PM »
I think what you have done with the shoes and holey trousers works very well Nick.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2018, 11:46:45 PM »
The 4th North Carolina Infantry are finished, they just need basing, but I thought I'd show you Emmet before he gets glued to a multi-base.

Emmet is the stinkiest Reb I've done so far, probably the last as well this raggedy. He's missed each uniform issue, probably 'cus he was out scrumping, so his 1861 issue sack coat is all patched up, his cap has faded to brown and his boots have seen better days.  lol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2018, 12:33:52 AM »
Oh Emmet what would your mother say?   :(

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2018, 11:35:40 AM »
She said: "Emmet, don't be a hero
Don't be a fool with your life"

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2018, 02:51:51 PM »
This has been a favourite while painting the Secesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGvbjfHTy2Y

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2018, 06:06:50 PM »
Divided & United is a great album, I have it on my shelf. And I like Emmet a lot. The frayed cuffs on his coat sleeves are excellent work.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2018, 07:45:47 PM »
When Johnny Comes Marching Home.

I said earlier in this post I plan to do both sides of the Bloody Lane clash, but that I was going to get Billy Yank done elsewhere.

The marvelous Artmaster Studios just sent me a picture of Webers Division they've done for me. I've got the flags here, so as I glue them into the figures hands, I'll post photos of each regiment. Although I've not gone into the uniform colours so much for the Union side, as I presume it's all standard, I have tried to get the right flags and officers for September 1862 for each unit. You'll see more as I post them.

As an aside, this is all new to me, I only found out yesterday the National Flag for Union troops should be on the right side of the colour party. Good job I read that before the glue came out.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:47:55 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2018, 09:14:37 PM »
Lovely work from you Nick on Emmet and Artmaster Studio.

Best wishes,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2018, 10:31:07 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Helen. I have to admit, even with Emmet, it's not my best work. I'm trying to get a balance between looking good and fast. Normally I'm a 1 figure an evening type of painter, but I've done 100 Rebs since the beginning of Aug, I think I've got it about right.

I am spending more time on some details though. The next regiment up are the 30th North Carolina. The picture I have from Dedmondt shows a standard State Flag with 30th along  the bottom. (pic 1)

GMB do a great NC state flag, but I had to paint 30th REGt NCT along the bottom myself. Which I did. Does it bother me the real star is at an angle different to the GMB flag and that it ought to be repainted correctly... o_o yes

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »
4th North Carolina Regiment.
GB Anderson's Brigade, DH Hills Division.

This unit was right in the middle of the Bloody Lane during the Battle of Antietam. As such, everyone of it's officers was killed or wounded during the battle. Their Colonel was out of action before the battle began, and the only photograph I could find of the Captains was of Captain Edwin Augustus Young Osborne, who took over the command of Regiment at some point in the action, so that’s who I’ve represented. Unlike many men in the Civil War, he is clean shaven, so there was no green stuff modelling required.

Crusader Miniatures do a clean shaven officer in short jacket, hat and blanket roll.

It isn’t my favourite figure as you don’t see Confederate Officers  illustrated or photographed like this, but in this case, it’s going to represent ‘Gus’ in command of the 4th. (Picture 3) In fact Union Officers noted how well turned out Confederate Officers were compared to their men, and it wasn’t a compliment. It was their feeling that Confederate Officers ran their army extremely badly and only looked out for themselves.

Uniforms I’ve gone with a suggestion they still had their grey North Carolina issued August uniforms, but were getting ragged and dirty round the edges, and not turned to butternut. Where I can, I’ve included the NC black epaulettes and kepi band. They were issued with black belts. I’ve also given them all haversacks. I experimented a bit with different grey paint for this regiment. I used Army painter ‘Filthy Cape’ grey for the Alabama Regiments. It is probably the best still for the North Carolinas, one grey (Castle Grey) turned out a good ‘butternut’, might use that later, and another was too blue. (Fog Grey). That actually would do for a uniform colour called English Blue, but it really only came in during 1863 when North Carolina was blockade running to get cloth in from Britain.
(Note Emmet at the end of the line)
I should point out, I only use Army painter paints. I bought a ‘mega set’ last year and, radically, chucked out all my other random paints going back 30 years.

Flag.
Out of the four regiments in Andersons North Carolina Brigade the 4th should have been the least problematic (see my post dated 23rd Sept. on the NC flags).
That’s because there is a surviving flag accredited to the 4th NC Infantry. It was captured in 1863, but is a 2nd Bunting that was issued in '62, with 1862 battle honours sown on.

The same flag is illustrated in Dedmondt under the 4th North Carolina Infantry title.
What’s the problem?
In 1862, the Army of North Virginia was only just starting to add battle Honours to flags. It became more popular 1863 onwards, but in 1862 two battlehonours in particular, Seven Pines! And Williamsburg, were only issued to certain regiments and they were given out as white silk strips with the battle name painted on, to be sown to the battleflags.
According to the records, the 4th North Carolina Infantry weren’t issued with the Williamsburg battle honour. You had to have served with Early’s Brigade to have got it, and the 4th were with Featherston’s Brigade. It was the same with the Rodes’ Alabama regiments. They were all at Williamsburg, but as they were in the wrong Brigades, they only have the Seven Pines! Battlehonour.
But I’ve decided not to fly in the face of convention, and GMB do a great flag with both honours on, so I’ve gone with the 2 honours version. (picture 4)

I’m onto the 30th North Carolina next.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »
Looking good!
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2018, 05:41:36 PM »
If you've followed this project, you'll know that although I'm really just getting two ACW armies together, I'm focusing on a specific time and place and the units that fought there. The time is September 1862, and the place is the Bloody Lane at Antietam. I might never refight that battle with these figures, but it's been a fun project digging out all the information.

This is a map of the action:

The Confederate Rodes Brigade is done, and I'm starting Andersons Brigade. Now thanks to Artmaster Studio, Webers Union Brigade is now done as well.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2018, 06:07:37 PM »
The first Union Brigade to hit the Sunken lane at the Battle of Antietam was Webers Brigade. They were the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, II Corps.

The unit photographed here are the 1st Delaware Infantry, on the right of Weber's Brigade.

I have not researched the Union Troops as much as the Rebs. I suppose it's because they mostly were quite uniformed in their appearance. I have tried to pick out any unusual aspects to the regiments as I've read about them. The Alabama boys noted the Union troops marching towards them that day looked immaculate, like on parade ground, and their white gaiters. Again, followers of this project will know I chose to limit the figures I'm using to the Crusader Miniatures range of Infantry, and they don't do any in gaiters, so I've overlooked that.

The officer leading the attack was Colonel John W. Andrews.

Like with the Confederate officers, I've attempted to model the facial hair specific to the actual person, so Colonel Andrews has a mustache and his long fringe hanging out of his cap. (picture 2)

The flags I have researched as much as the Confederate flags. As you all probably know already, Union troops carried the national Flag (Stars and Stripes) and a State Flag. The State Flag was often the Eagle, crowned with stars and the regiment title in a scroll across the bottom. The first Delaware differed in that their State Flag was the Seal of Delaware rather than the Eagle. I found a perfect version of it from 'Flags for the Lads'. Union Regiments were also often issued with a National Flag bearing their regimental name across the middle. 1st Delaware didn't get theirs until October 1862, so I've just given them a regular Stars and Stripes from September 1862.

The last detail to note is that the Union Brigades marched towards the Sunken Lane across Clover fields, and the clover was flowering white that September. I've added clumps of White Flower tufts to the bases to represent these.

NOTE: Artmaster Studios painted this regiment for me, and what a splendid job they've done. I'll show the Brigades other two regiments next.

All going well, the Confederates will be attacking Harpers Ferry tomorrow night in their first battle, using the rule set Longstreet. I'll bring my camera.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:11:45 PM by nicknorthstar »