Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:09:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's new ACW project  (Read 57407 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Nick's new ACW project
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2018, 01:42:31 PM »
Now for some quality painting.

Kev Dallimore has done Brigade General Rodes, the commander of the Alabama Brigade.

(Perry Mins figure)

I'll do a Brigade photo of them soon.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:50:30 PM by nicknorthstar »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »
Gorgeous  :-*

Offline AlyMorrison

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
Your cracking on at a fair rate with these Nick...

They are looking splendid...
I like way you have got a really good contrast between the two forces...
Scruffy Reb and tidy Union.

All the best.  Aly
YES!... I KNOW I AM A BUTTERFLY.
http://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2018, 08:54:12 PM »
Gorgeous  :-*

I know, I can't do it.

Cheers Aly. I know, I've got into the right routine with these Rebs. Doing the second regiment for the North Carolina Brigade now.

They look like two distinct armies indeed.

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2018, 02:49:03 PM »
I think it'll be about time to head to that Cornfield around the beginning of November - your boys ready?

And this time, I'll put ALL the scenario and spcial rules in BOLD CAPS, with a caveat that Mike can go to Hades!
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2018, 03:04:35 PM »
I ought to read the rules as well.

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2018, 01:54:47 PM »
Yes, yes you should - borrow Mike's, then he can make up any he likes!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2018, 09:33:32 AM »
Another photo from Antietam, the trip that kicked this whole project off, looking down from the tower along Bloody Lane. The Feds arrive in from the right.
The tower was built where my next painted regiment stood, the 30th North Carolina.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2018, 10:44:23 AM »
The 30th North Carolina.
Anderson's Brigade.
Commanding Officer Colonel Francis Marion Parker.

The 30th North Carolina are my 2nd finished regiment for Anderson's Brigade, the other Brigade defending the Bloody Lane at Antietam when the Federals first hit it.

Uniforms. If you refer to my 'conundrum post' 23rd September, I chose to kit out the 30th NC in grey uniforms, as though they'd been resupplied in August (the battle is September) and that it is still is good condition. So no patches, rips, toes sticking out of shoes etc. I've also avoided the black trim on the trousers and shoulders as the evidence points to all that being dropped by the Summer of '62, this kit being referred to as 3rd issue.

The flag is taken from Dedmondt, I'd already referred to it in a post dated 26th September. This is the State Issued flag, given to the 30th NC on their formation. They missed out on the issue of Battleflags of the Army of Northern Virginia in '62. They were issued with one in '63, and that was captured at Gettysburg. As this State flag was never captured, I presume it was furled up and put away once they were issued with their new Battleflags. At least two of them were subsequently captured and are still around, you can see pictures of them online.
Pic 3 shows the paper flag I used, a GMB design with 30th NC I hand painted on.

Commanding Officer Colonel Parker.

The figure representing him is in Pic 2. Again this was a standard Crusader Miniatures ACW figure with the beard built up.

The 2nd North Carolina are next.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »
I spent more time than usual on Colonel Bennett of the 14th North Carolina Infantry last night.

It's still not 'top quality', but I tried to capture the sleeve knots that I haven't done before.

Colonel Risden Tyler Bennett

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2018, 11:29:51 AM »
Looks great!

You've got an awesome project going. Keep it coming. Enjoying the thread immensely.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2018, 07:19:12 PM »
I'm working on the 14th North Carolina Infantry next, and I've shown their Colonel, Bennett, already.

I'm working on the flags now. The flags are part of the NC conundrum  ;) as mentioned earlier. Here's why with this one.

Dedmondt illustrates a ANV Battleflag for the 14th NC. He also uses it for the cover picture to his book:

It's a unique ANV battleflag. Firstly it's a 1st issue Bunting, unlike most of the ANV battleflags issued in '62 which were 2nd issue. All the other regiments I've done so far had 2nd bunting flags. Secondly they have sown their battlehonours across the center of the flag unlike nearly all other units who have them sown into the top and bottom quarters.

I've never seen a photo of the actual flag. Dedmondt sources the flag to the U.S. National Park Service, Gettysburg, so I presume they hold it, and maybe it's on display at Gettysburg? It means I've never seen an explanation as to why it has the unusual battlehonours. If I hadn't got hold of Dedmondt's book, I'd have given the 14th NC the 2nd Bunting flag with honours, the same as carried by the 4th NC Infantry, illustrated earlier.

Because the Battlehonours are unusual, there's not one available from Flags of War or GMB Designs. I bought a 1st Bunting Confederate flag from GMB Designs with the intention of hand painting the the battlehonours on. I gave it a half attempt, but then came up with an alternative plan. I bought ANOTHER flag set from GMB, with the two battlehonours Williamsburg and Seven Pines! on, and cut them off to glue to the 1st Bunting flag. The photo shows the work in progress.

This is how bad it's got with me, I'm gluing bits of paper flags together to get them perfect.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
Looking great Nick, well done. Love the officers.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
I'm working on the 14th North Carolina Infantry next, and I've shown their Colonel, Bennett, already.

I'm working on the flags now. The flags are part of the NC conundrum  ;) as mentioned earlier. Here's why with this one.

Dedmondt illustrates a ANV Battleflag for the 14th NC. He also uses it for the cover picture to his book:

It's a unique ANV battleflag. Firstly it's a 1st issue Bunting, unlike most of the ANV battleflags issued in '62 which were 2nd issue. All the other regiments I've done so far had 2nd bunting flags. Secondly they have sown their battlehonours across the center of the flag unlike nearly all other units who have them sown into the top and bottom quarters.

I've never seen a photo of the actual flag. Dedmondt sources the flag to the U.S. National Park Service, Gettysburg, so I presume they hold it, and maybe it's on display at Gettysburg? It means I've never seen an explanation as to why it has the unusual battlehonours. If I hadn't got hold of Dedmondt's book, I'd have given the 14th NC the 2nd Bunting flag with honours, the same as carried by the 4th NC Infantry, illustrated earlier.

Because the Battlehonours are unusual, there's not one available from Flags of War or GMB Designs. I bought a 1st Bunting Confederate flag from GMB Designs with the intention of hand painting the the battlehonours on. I gave it a half attempt, but then came up with an alternative plan. I bought ANOTHER flag set from GMB, with the two battlehonours Williamsburg and Seven Pines! on, and cut them off to glue to the 1st Bunting flag. The photo shows the work in progress.

This is how bad it's got with me, I'm gluing bits of paper flags together to get them perfect.

Don't worry, I've started on the Trans Mississippi / Western Theater armies, got a bit 'fished in' by the different appearance of the troops, especially the 'Ragged Federals', and researching flags and uniforms, which are different to the Eastern ones in terms of materials, colours and more.

Meantime, I'm looking at the 'What If', such as 'What if Lee had opted for guerilla warfare in the East and Johnston had obeyed Davis' order to carry on fighting'. PLus, 'What if the Generals who met with Davis HADN'T said they should give up'.

So far, I'm enjoying coming back to this project and adding more to my collection and knowledge.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2018, 10:09:15 PM »
As I've said before, I'm not painting the Union side. I got a picture today from Artmaster Studios of the next Brigade, the 2nd Brigade (Morris'). (pic 1)
I've not painted them, but I did the work on the officers faces like with the Confederates, and researched the unit flags to get as close as I could to the actual ones carried in September '62.

As these are now done, I'm got all sentimental for the next Brigade and fell for the Irish Charm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWvdf_51Iq0

The third Union Brigade to hit the Sunken Road was Kimball's (1st Brigade). But after the first attacks faltered, one of the Brigades that came up to reinforce them was Meagher's Irish Brigade. I've been suckered in by the green harp flags to do them rather than Kimball's.