Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:04:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Howl's Moving Castle: The Ingarian Empire (5th of July - Sculptor Needed)  (Read 8277 times)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
Note: This thread is originally from August 2018, but was resurrected in June 2020. I'm just picking up the project from where I left it back then, and I thought thought the details and discussion would be worth the theadromancy.

Hey Hivemind,

First post in quite a while.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a miniature that would do for the Wizard Howl in his were-bird warform? Would appreciate either a miniature that would work 'as is' or something that could be the base for a conversion.

I've not found anything on the websites I know, but I've not I'm not particularly au fait with fantasy miniatures.

I've no idea how to post images now photobucket's gone wierd, so here are some links to what I'm talking about:

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Thanks for any help,

MM.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:36:59 PM by Mr.Marx »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: 15/18mm Howl (Howl's Moving Castle)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »
Can’t help with sourcing a figure I’m afraid but are you doing a project based on this and if so, how large?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 15/18mm Howl in Warform - (Howl's Moving Castle)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 10:15:24 AM »
Thank you will have to convert to get such a specific figure. Better off starting from a bird model if you can find one?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
Re: 15/18mm Howl (Howl's Moving Castle)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »
Can’t help with sourcing a figure I’m afraid but are you doing a project based on this and if so, how large?

Yeah, the plan is to do a game based around the war from Howls Moving Castle, with troops from other Ghibli films thrown in.

The projects come out of a want to make good on a project I started ages ago. I painted up 60 or so Black Hat British miniatures intending to play a friend's 'All Quiet on the Martian Front' force, but sadly he passed away and it's taken in till now for me to get the figures out again.

I thought, as the antagonist in the film is never really shown, and no one appears to have read the book, why not model Howl's countrymen to take them on?

I've already bought a Moving Castle (Will post pics when it arrives). I'm hoping to do 50 or so infantry, a battery of guns, a couple of the personal flying machines from the film (if I can convince someone to make them for me) and Howl in his war form, plus anything else that takes my fancy.

MM.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 03:00:15 PM »
All sounds rather splendid  :)

YPU here has done some Ghibli style prints and they do look rather good  8)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 10:57:12 AM »
Hey All,

After searching around the entirety of the internet, I have set on a 'Great Dingonek' from Microworld Games for Howl.

The proprietor, a man named Steve, tells me that the model is 33mm tall and about 15mm, which makes it exactly the right size to go with my 18mm figures - or at least I hope it does.

Bests,

MM.

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »
Haha splendid he is such a pretty bird

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 02:16:20 PM »
I can't wait to see the Moving Castle  ;D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 02:40:26 PM »
While I can't point towards any specific model, wouldn't any large bird work if you just add on a human face instead of a beak?

YPU here has done some Ghibli style prints and they do look rather good  8)

Indeed I have, bit different scale, you can find it here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=91633.msg1381706#msg1381706
If you want to talk doing some of those small fliers as a commision shoot me a PM!

Cheers,
Tim
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 03:22:28 PM »
I can't wait to see the Moving Castle  ;D

Its still in the post, but I've included the shop image below.

I've not seen the model in the flesh, but it *should* be 1/100th scale.

Will take lots of scale shots when it arrives.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 03:33:06 PM »
I have a hard time believing that is 1/100 truth be told. It would be quite huge at that scale, right? Still, best of luck with it, maybe I'm wrong!

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 03:41:57 PM »
I have a hard time believing that is 1/100 truth be told. It would be quite huge at that scale, right? Still, best of luck with it, maybe I'm wrong!

I doubt its 1/100th either, being perfectly honest. The seller assured me it was 85mm tall and 70mm long, though, which to my mind makes it close enough to get away with.

Hands are a terrible thing to scale things by, but by the looks of it, I can trust the seller's measurements.

Fingers crossed...

MM.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 03:48:28 PM »
fair enough yeah. Actually, 2 things occur to me. For representation on the table top having it be a bit smaller should be fine, as long as its nice and large.
Additionally, I saw the movie on the big screen last month, and to me, it appeared parts of it were pretty out of scale in the movie itself! The crows nest on top, for instance, was way to small to hold people, even accounting for perspective etc. But its a magical mish-mash of strange objects anyway so you can get away with it.

You probably figured this out yourself already, but I found that the uniforms of the soldiers in the movie perfectly match Franco Prussian war french.

I really like the idea of using the British as antagonists, Mr Howell Jenkins does seem to have some disdain for them after all!

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 11:19:42 AM »
fair enough yeah. Actually, 2 things occur to me. For representation on the table top having it be a bit smaller should be fine, as long as its nice and large.
Additionally, I saw the movie on the big screen last month, and to me, it appeared parts of it were pretty out of scale in the movie itself! The crows nest on top, for instance, was way to small to hold people, even accounting for perspective etc. But its a magical mish-mash of strange objects anyway so you can get away with it.

You probably figured this out yourself already, but I found that the uniforms of the soldiers in the movie perfectly match Franco Prussian war french.

I really like the idea of using the British as antagonists, Mr Howell Jenkins does seem to have some disdain for them after all!

Oh, you lucky thing. I've only ever seen the film on the small screen. Was it as good as I imagine it would be in the cinema?

And your thinking as to the exact scale seems to mirror mine. I'm usually quite pedantic when it comes to getting the scale of things 'right', but I'm not all that fussed with The Castle. It's a very cartoon design, so the exact proportions don't need to quite make sense. I'm also of the mind that if it is suitably large and impressive the exact scaling won't matter.

My only real concern is that the various buildings that litter the things surface might look a bit small - doorways are a right giveaway when it comes to scaling. But, even if they don't look quite right and I bump into one of those people at a wargames club that takes issue with such inconsistencies, I'm planning to fall back on the fact that the castle isn't a real castle. Howl is quite a lazy, slither-outer sort of wizard, and its made quite apparent that the castle was only conjured up to strut about the wastes and look scary, rather than be a 'real' castle. I don't imagine that Mr Jenkins worried much about getting the proportions right, just so long as the thing looked scary from a distance.

"A Wizard Did It".

I'll take some scale photographs when the thing arrives.

And yeah, I'd narrowed the soldiers down to being from the Franco-Prussian War period. I'm tied into using 18mm scale figures, though, as the British figures are already done and made by Black Hat. So far as I can tell, only Lancershire Games makes 18mm FPW figures, and from the photos on their site they don't look like fantastic sculpts. My current plan is to go for Eureka Miniatures 18mm Crimean War French. The uniforms are a little anachronistic and their rifles have hammers; but I don't really mind.

MM.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:33:12 AM by Mr.Marx »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »
As much as I love the movie, I think its a mixed mad in cinema. The painted background and general scenery are an absolute treat to look at, but some of the animations do start to look a bit flat when inflated to that size truth be. The war scenes with bird howl are probably the best as the smoke and grime add a lot of texture to the scenes that work great on the big silver. The fact that the castle was based on CG also showed a bit more, which was a pity. I think that while iconic the castle is my least favoured design in the movie actually!

The Eureka french could work (if you are looking for an EU stockist fighting 15's carry them) however they lack those front pipings on the jackets which is a shame. They are very close to the vehicle-mounted air corps I think though.