Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:48:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689479
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Spray can survival - upside down storage?  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Spray can survival - upside down storage?
« on: August 29, 2018, 07:23:11 AM »
Mrs Vanvlak suggested a tip for storing spray cans she'd heard from an art shop - I had previously complained and asked on the forum about spray can storage, as the nozzles tended to clog up - and it's a simple one: store them upside down, nozzle end downwards (with the top on of course!). Not certain how it works - I'd appreciate that the fluid descending would prevent the exit tube from congealing, but I'd had the impression it was the nozzle that was the problem, not the tin, and the nozzle should not have spray paint in it when it's not pushed.
I must have been wrong, because I even turned some old tins over (and replaced their badly clogged nozzles), and they worked again too.
Of course it's also key to shake the stuff well (2 minutes at least) before use, and spray in short bursts instead of long sprays.

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
Re: Spray can survival - upside down storage?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:44:17 AM »

Maybe diagram will enhance understanding...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:46:45 AM by Pendrake »
Pendrake

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 07:51:41 AM »
Whenever I have used a spraycan I always turn it on its head and spray a few times. That way you only spray out some propellant and that "clears the pipes" so you won't have congealed paint.

That has always worked for me.

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 07:56:23 AM »
Every can I have ever bought recommended the spray upside down method. Check for fine print on the can somewhere.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:51:22 PM »
Whenever I have used a spraycan I always turn it on its head and spray a few times. That way you only spray out some propellant and that "clears the pipes" so you won't have congealed paint.

That has always worked for me.

THIS

The only reason your can clogs is that you don't clear the nozzle with propellant free of paint when you finish using it. You do this by spraying upside down for a moment.

Storing it upside down is likely to either do nothing or to cause other problems if the dip tube bends or dries out.

The can is DESIGNED to be used and stored the correct way up. That's why it is the way it is.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 09:45:27 PM »
I can see in theory why if you have inverted and sprayed until clear, that leaving the can upside down might work, but only if they "dip tube" was completely clear.

If it was not clear it might cause it to clog up more.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 06:09:24 AM »
And that's just it, I cannot really understand why this is working; I do give a quick spray inverted to clear the nozzle when I finish painting, but that does not always seem to work. Of course a vigorous, long shake at the start is essential too.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 10:19:20 AM »
Isn't a vigorous long shake part of making a good spray  lol

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 10:42:55 AM »
Isn't a vigorous long shake part of making a good spray  lol
Definitely  :D
And cutting corners in the shake vigour - and duration - costs cans.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
When I used to use the overpriced GW undercoat sprays, I really wasn't a fan of the 'turn the can upside down and spray   to clear the nozzle' instructions because invariably I used to be spraying expensive paint out of the nozzle for a few minutes... I know that you are supposed to spray until you get just propellant but iirc with GW cans it just seemed to spray paint for too long!!🙄
Being older and possibly wiser I use cheaper, better cans these days and they don't really clog 🙂