Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:18:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hedges!  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Hedges!
« on: August 30, 2018, 05:29:38 PM »
I just finished another batch of hedges, and I think I've now got enough, so let's how them off.

I decided to go for scruffy, bushy hedges rather than neatly trimmed garden hedges. These are for medieval field boundaries.

My technique is an MDF base, a few select trees, and then filling the gaps up with both lichen and Woodland Scenics clump foliage.

The trees are mostly from Woodland Scenics, with a few from 4Ground. I much prefer the WS ones, their shapes are great for hedgerows.

This is the first batch I made, over a year ago....

With the next batches, I decided I needed thicker, denser hedges. This meant more trees and bigger clumps between them. I also did one with just some trees, with gaps between them. Driving around in the countryside, you see all sorts of different hedges, thick ones, sparse ones, impenetrable ones, patchy ones, neat ones, scruffy ones.... I wanted a variety, which could have different in-game effects, and would also look somewhat realistic. I also did a curved one.

Then I realised it would be a much better idea to give them square ends, rather than rounded ones, so they go end-to-end neatly. I did another one with gaps between the trees, and one with a section of wattle fence and a gate.

And then I realised I had too many impassable ones - I needed some that would impede movement somewhat but not completely restrict it. So I just now did three more sparse ones - they are actually earth banks about 20mm high with a bit of vegetation. Enough to provide a bit of cover and a good defensive position, but it won't restrict movement too much.

Loose bits of lichen can be used to cover up the joins between bases, as shown here.

I also have numerous singly-based trees, on large irregular bases with lots of bushes and undergrowth. They join up with the hedges nicely, and when more loose lichen is added to the edges they make good dense thickets, which work nicely at the corners or joins of field boundaries.

In total it's about 10 feet of hedgerows! Should be enough. Though I may end up doing more if I feel I need more sparse ones. And I do have two more curved hedge bases to do, but they won't be anything new.

So let's see them in action!!!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Hedges!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »
I think they've turned out great, I particularly like the sparse ones  8)

How wide are the bases in general?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 06:28:17 PM »
Very nice. Playable yet good aesthetically.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 06:45:33 PM »
Agree with all of the above - they look great  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »
Well done.
I like them a lot.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »