Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:50:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley AAR: Shady Deals  (Read 1610 times)

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
Pulp Alley AAR: Shady Deals
« on: August 31, 2018, 08:06:48 AM »

There's no quarter given when Vanda and the Cobra's Kiss mix it up for real with the Servants of Apophis
in her old Cairo neighborhood. 
All the angry words and on-the-scene photos here: https://imgur.com/a/N4E6EYI
Thanks for your interest,
rags
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:39:39 PM by ragsthetiger »

Offline Panama

• Scientist
Re: Pulp Alley AAR: Shady Deals
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 04:57:48 PM »
A great looking set up Rags with a very interesting league; I was expecting to see the Girls lol fab AAR as always mate even if it ended a bit one sided but that's the way the dice & the cards fall sometime :)

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 06:52:55 PM »
Hi Panama,
Thanks for the kind comments...I'm actually running several leagues through TotS, partly to get my money's worth out of the table setups, and also to see how various types of leagues fare in it.  The Lost Girls are a chapter ahead of the Cobra's Kiss and the others, though, and I'm about to do something a bit different in the Nameless Ruins.
 ;D

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 07:14:34 AM »
Rags was kind enough to let my Baker's Street league run through this scenario. Sherlock sank without a trace.

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
That's a good idea Rags running different leagues in the campaign, question for you have you ever tried a 3 or 4 team game playing solo ? its something I want to try out upping the amount of solo card , so for 3 leagues I'd use 6 & 9 for a 4 why.

Also as I'm not a lover of the IGO/UGO system I was think of trying out a card activation, I'd be interested to hear you're thoughts on the above ideas mate :) 

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 07:35:00 PM »
That's a good idea Rags running different leagues in the campaign, question for you have you ever tried a 3 or 4 team game playing solo?

Not yet -- up to now I've tended to keep things simple in solo games.  I've used NPC enemy forces and Terrors, but I've stuck to two leagues, though I sometimes generate the Bot forces by random card draws.  Basically, I'm a lazy gamer, and I don't want to work very hard when I'm gaming. lol 
But I think your idea is very interesting, and I'd like to see how it works out for you.

Also as I'm not a lover of the IGO/UGO system I was think of trying out a card activation...

I know of at least one other person who is using the regular rules for activation...that is, activation changes when a fight is won, a plot point is scored, etc.  The idea of using character cards is really original, though I wonder how hard it might be to execute any kind of strategy when you never know who is activating next.
To tell the truth, I've been all over the place on the question of just how to handle solo game activation.  At first, I thought I wanted a neutral playing field, and tried out various systems for impartially deciding which side to activate -- I tried points systems, measuring momentum, even making a new initiative roll each turn.  But the fact is, Pulp Alley isn't meant to be played impartially -- you're supposed to be rooting for your league, and that assumption is built in to the game's design.  These days, I play more to the story.  That is, I let the game unfold, and let the story tell itself as naturally as I can, deciding which side to activate based on what seems most appropriate given how things have gone so far.  For example, if one side has activated first two or three turns in a row, I will usually have their leader decide they are winded and need a breather, and activate the other side first next turn.  And I have a few other rules I follow.  First, I still use an Initiative roll, because there's just too much gameplay material dealing with initiative to throw it out altogether.  If the Bots win initiative, they get their choice of deployment zones (in scenarios where that's appropriate), and may choose to activate first in Turn 1.  But whatever happens, I always allow the Bots first activation at least a couple of times a game, just because it's a lot more fun when both leagues are drawing and interacting with the cards.
As far as the IGO/UGO aspect, I'm glad that the regular game doesn't work that way, but it really doesn't bother me at all in solo play.  I think this goes back to the lazy gamer thing -- I don't want to work that hard in solo games. Plus, it's how the solo deck was designed to work, by a better game designer than me.
This was a lot more long-winded than I intended...my apologies, if you made it this far.
 lol
rags
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 11:51:38 PM by ragsthetiger »

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 12:03:00 AM »
Rags was kind enough to let my Baker's Street league run through this scenario. Sherlock sank without a trace.

Baker Street had dreadful luck with the Horror deck.  I've been there before...remember the scenario when the Lost Girls wound up brawling with each other in the street?  I sure do:

That deck can mess you up.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:05:28 AM by ragsthetiger »

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 12:34:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply Rags & tbh it wasn't that long winded, I still intend to give the idea's a try out & will let you know how it turns out :)

Offline Bessy

• Scientist
  • Namaste Mofo
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 02:19:14 AM »
That is super awesome! Love the book poster!! :-* :-* Thanks for sharing.

Offline Matt

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
Another great report rags!  Love your terrain, and I see some new miniature in almost every report.  Really dig your eclectic mix of figures.