Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help needed- cellulose car primer?  (Read 1085 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Help needed- cellulose car primer?
« on: August 31, 2018, 05:58:20 PM »
My local model shop is closing down, this was the source for all my acrylic paints and associated stuff. The thing I am missing straight away is the  grey Humbrol spray primer. I guess I will find an online source eventually, but will car primer be an OK substitute?
I found spray cans of this in Poundland. The thing that makes me wary is that it is cellulose paint. Will that make a difference? Can I use acrylics over the top? Anybody know?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Help needed- cellulose car primer?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 09:26:57 AM »
To my (limited) knowledge, water based acrylic paint (from a pot) is the least aggressive paint, so should not cause an issue on cellulose spray. No idea in adhesion. I had difficulty getting tamiya and old Citadel paints to cover Humbrol  enamel spray white. However cellulose spray may well eat plastics.

Tamiya (and possibly others) are not water based, so I have no idea on the effects.

Personally I use Citadel chaos black (or corax white) for figures and vehicles.

I use Halfords acrylic sprays on MDF etc, but a number of other residents on LAF use it as an undercoat. It just looks slightly thicker (YMMV).

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 10:55:29 AM »
Thanks. The grey primer is just that- a primer to help the paint adhere to metal - I use a black acrylic as undercoat on top of that. I wouldn't use the cellulose on plastics, I think you are right it would eat them.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:09:24 PM »
go to Halfords and get Grey Car Primer,  half the price of Humbrol Primer and exactly the same stuff, neither of these are acrylic, you don't want acrylic primer for metal models.  Use it outside.
If the weather is against you use Humbrol matt Black/White enamel in 50ml tinlets, apply with a brush and leave overnight, it's fine.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
go to Halfords and get Grey Car Primer,  half the price of Humbrol Primer and exactly the same stuff, neither of these are acrylic, you don't want acrylic primer for metal models.  Use it outside.
If the weather is against you use Humbrol matt Black/White enamel in 50ml tinlets, apply with a brush and leave overnight, it's fine.

Halfords! OK should have thought of that thanks.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »
I know you have difficulty spraying outside, so next time you are round have some of my
Humbrol tins & brush on your undercoat/primer. I tried to give you them last time, remember?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 09:33:51 PM »
I know you have difficulty spraying outside, so next time you are round have some of my
Humbrol tins & brush on your undercoat/primer. I tried to give you them last time, remember?

But they are enamels I think? Also I do already brush on my undercoat (black) but it is really much easier to spray the primer in batches of 20- 30 figures or a dozen stripped diecast vehicles. 

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
Yes they are enamels, but they do a very good job as undercoats.
I have (in the past) used different colours in order to get various effects
on the figures, e.g. a dark green for orcs, then highlighted with a light green.