Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:57:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690702
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dwarfs for Kings of War Clash of Kings 2018 old school GW metals  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
Dwarfs for Kings of War Clash of Kings 2018 old school GW metals
« on: September 02, 2018, 04:58:34 PM »
So long time lurker first time poster. Not sure if this should be in here or the painting and modelling forum.

Clash of Kings is essentially Mantic's answer to the old GW Grand Tournament and I missed last year's (alas, in a terrible scheduling conflict it clashed with the Robin Hood Beer festival :'( ) But this year it does not Huzzah I can attend  :D. I am not what you might call a classic tournament player, I am there for the craic and rarely expect to win a game, but I intend to have fun losing, and in that respect I always try to come up with unique lists -some may even call them 'special'  lol

Dwarfs are my first and enduring love as an army and I have painted literally thousands of the wee bastards so this should be simple right?

Hell No once I sat down to write a list it turns out although I have most of what I need there is at best a single finished mini for my proposed army D'oh.

I've spent this afternoon dragging out and cataloging what needs to be painted between now and the 12th of next month leaving me with this little pile:

Guess I'm going to need to get a crack on and that is where you guys and gals can help, I intend to use this to post my progress on this over the next month or so and I will need people to gee me on as I paint the  entire army in the same time it usually takes me to do a unit - and that's if I'm lucky.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:28:14 PM by Dodgy_Ed »

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Dwarfs for Kings of War Clash of Kings 2018 old school GW metals
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »
It's a fantasy project so it's absolutely fine here. Welcome to the LAF.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »
Absolutely adore the Old Citadel and Marauder Dwarves (or Dwarfs  as they insisted on calling them) so looking forward to how you get on!

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 05:53:07 PM »
Thanks Elk, here's hoping my stay will be a long one :).

In a frenzy of undercoating the main body of the force is now ready to have some paint sloshed on

So that's a total of 60 Bugman's Rangers to paint, a mix of all the vintages, from pre slotta all the way through to big axes as well as 7 Grenadier Bear riders (if anyone has a couple one more to -just found another one in my bits pile- round it up to ten I'd be grateful -drop me a PM)

Apologies for the piss poor photograph but here is the one and only finished model I will be using -out of the literally thousands of dwarfs I have already painted

The next things are the heavy mob - some classic Tony Ackland sculpts which are I think as old as I am - unfortunately I think I am light on parts for some of them.

Not sure if these should be posted before or after the rangers are painted, what say you LAF, more unpainted stuff or do you want to see paint?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 05:57:12 PM by Dodgy_Ed »

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 06:04:55 PM »
We always want to see paint!  lol

There's a certain charm in a lot of the old Citadel sculpts which, in my own opinion, has yet to be matched. The old dwarf sculpts are some of my favourite dwarf sculpts ever. The old Chaos Dwarves are magnificent.

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 06:37:38 PM »
Well if you insist Elk ;)
Totally agree on the charms of the old citadel sculpts; they might not technically be the 'best' but there is so much character oozing out of them, my absolute favorite sculpt is the Dwarf with no name:

Look not a single skull in sight -take note GW

As for stuff relavent to the project one and two half Juggernauts -there is so much work needed on the third of these - need to scratch up pretty much the entire lower section, pistons and wheels, as well as find suitable boilers for two of them. Glad this isn't a rush job lol. Fortunately the paint on all of them is thin enough that a quick spray should be enough to undercoat, no need to go for the full on strip before hand -I hope.

In terms of wheels I'm thinking MDF cart wheels, hopefully warbases or similar will have what I need, the boilers I'm a bit stuck on, was planning to use steam tank boilers but the prices on fleabay have put paid to that idea :( I think it's time to check the model railway mob, bet they have pistons and boilers coming out of their fundament.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:40:34 PM by Dodgy_Ed »

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 09:33:56 PM »
I have a spare boiler for the dwarf steam juggernaut for sale if you are interested.

love those old grenadier bear riders, some of my favourites!

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 10:35:59 PM »
@Brandlin you have a PM ;)

I'm tempted by Bugman wielding a ballistic bar stool  as my general (a stand in for Herneas the Hunter for those who know the game). The fact it's already painted is beside the point  ;)

I'm really not a terribly good photographer - in fact I am a terrible photographer and I admit even with my low standards the face needs revisiting to say the least, but it'll do in a pinch.

Day two metal base coat done on 35 of the rangers, no pics as bright silver on grey undercoat just makes them look like bare metal D'oh

Day three will be lost to an evening in the pub, so hopefully pic on day four.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »
This is certainly a project with a challenging time scale! But at least you are still managing to fit in going to the pub ;)

It must be an interesting list you are going for with 3 tanks (can't recall the KoW name) and no other figures you already have painted?

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
Definitely an aggressive time scale; but there is always time for the pub
Day three Downfall artchitect is a delicious crisp very moreish IPA

Day four Finally some paint on stuff -it'a not much but the 3rd edition Rangers now have armour:

there's another 35 of the lil bastards looking a bit like this:

Fred I did mention I tend to make 'special' armies :P I don't expect to win a single game but it should be interesting none the less:

Herneas the Hunter Bugman
reg't of Rangers
reg't of Rangers
reg't of Herneas Bugman's Rangers
reg't of brock riders Bearzerkers
reg't of brock riders Bearzerkers
or
reg't allied Dracoths Gyrocopters only if I can't source enough Bears for the second reg't.
Steel Behemoth Juggernaut
Steel Behemoth Juggernaut
Golloch's Thunder Juggernaut

And then the formations for Rangers and Juggernauts from the latest Clash supplement.

I think I can make a game of it but ultimately I suspect maneuverability (or more accurately lack thereof) will be my downfall

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 09:48:13 PM »
An interesting list!!

Not many units, if this is 1500pts I think I normally had around 15 units for my Kingdoms of Men forces. As you say lack of manoeuvrability might be a problem, especially if you are outnumbered, with the importance of flanks in KoW. I'm almost tempted to proxy up your list and play through a mini game.

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 10:15:22 PM »
This is 2000 points  :o so it is a tiny tiny list.

A lot will depend on the terrain -the Rangers all have pathfinder whilst the juggernauts have strider so I should be able to play silly buggers with forests and walls etc. It's also surprisingly fast (for a dwarf army anyway)

If you do proxy it up let me know how it goes -would love to hear your feedback.

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 08:30:28 AM »
Day five not much to show; base coated boots and belts; fortunately unlike a lot of modern GW minis these don't have a leather fetish :D

Day six Got wood? Now they have weapon hafts and cross bows to go with their boots

Day seven Now we're getting somewhere; none of that persky work to get in the way of things mean these guys are almost finished; just need to ink the faces' and beards and sort out the helemts. -Oh and paint the other 25 Old school rangers.

Close up of one random line tropper -looks like this was one I couldn't be aresed to strip before repainting so he's a bit gloopedL

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 05:42:06 PM »
That's not that small a dwarf force all things considered. Those behemoths are rock solid and you'll be able to make great use of terrain with them and all the Rangers, can you fit macwars potion on one of the brock units to give them pathfinder too?

Good luck!

I'll be looking for you at clash, I'll be running my black and yellow themed dwarfs.
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 06:48:03 PM »
There's much to love here - The old Citadel landships are especially aweome and I remember not getting the money together to purchase one.
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm