Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:44:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dwarfs for Kings of War Clash of Kings 2018 old school GW metals  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
Re: Dwarfs for Kings of War Clash of Kings 2018 old school GW metals
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 07:44:09 PM »
You nailed that one Fairoaks - the unit of Brocks does indeed have Maccwars Caterpillar potion ;)
So Day eight

T'is Sunday so again it is a work free day; and as such massive progress has been made. These guys are finished apart from the basing

Let's have a close of V2 Jorj (though I think if memory serves he is just known as Bugmans Champion in the catalogue) in all his angry glory:

So along with finishing these guys the base coating on the 1st and 2nd edition Rangers is well underway

Close up of 1st ed Ranger -would love to get a full unit of these guys together one day.

You'll have to forgive the photography artificial lighting is not conducive to good colour balance

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 07:47:55 PM »
Very nice!
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »
Cheers Fairoaks; buy you a beer at Clash if you keep saying nice things about my painting ;)

So on with the updates

Day nine
Not much progress as the weekend is over, beards and weird eyes:

Day ten
A quick coat of ink and we can say these are done as well

Close of of Jorj in his original pose

The banner still needs some work and I also need to do some shields for these guys. I have a cunning plan for that and am waiting of eBay purchases to see if it will work out; more on this if and when everything arrives

Day eleven To the pub  :D Just because the bottle of wine are only 50p more than a pint does not mean one should pour them in to a pint glass and drink them by rounds.

Day twelve Moving on to bigger things, start of the 'bear'zerkers

These are some of the most woefully cast minis I have had the misfortune to paint they are Mirliton rather than the original Grenadier and lets say the molds are euphemistically at the end of their  life.

So now a question should the bears all be one colour I'm thinking Polar bear white, or a mix of colours; What say you LAF?

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 09:08:19 PM »
Nice job on this project! For the bearzerkers I would go with a mix of colors.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 09:33:15 PM »
Polar Bears would be cool (literally ;) )

But a mix probably looks better for a unit

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 10:35:10 PM »
Mine are all polar bears...

But then My nick is "Brandlin Silver Bear"

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 10:49:10 AM »
Days thirteen and fourteen

Bearzerkers are finished off -as far as they can be

Given the LAF consensus on Friday I went with a mix of colours

For a close up we'll have a polar bear though:

Waiting on an order from eBay before these can get their shields and weapons finished off.

Heavy metal thunder next week :D

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 07:06:08 PM »
Always good to see a dwarf project. Keep going and enjoy the Event!

Offline Maccwar

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 03:16:14 PM »
You nailed that one Fairoaks - the unit of Brocks does indeed have Maccwars Caterpillar potion ;)

My potion, it's mine I tell you!

I'll be at the Clash of Kings with a mostly metal Orc army. I will keep am eye out for your dwarves. Keep up the good work.

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 11:40:48 PM »
If you do run into jez ( macwar) across the table from you, be very wary of his tricksy-ness, his orcs are hard to beat if you get a scenario involving getting across the table
:-)

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 05:58:16 PM »
Thanks for the heads up - not that I'm too worried about winning games with this list - if I was there would be more Golems and Stone Priests ;)

Day fourteen - sixteen

I spent some time googling wooden boat hulls -I know Rock'n' Roll lifestyle or what lol and decided to try and go with weather beaten slightly greying wood rather than the polished walnut look of weapon hafts and came out with something approaching what I wanted

Crappy badly lit photos of basic wood on the Juggernauts - has to be said these things are huge, heavy and take ages to paint. If if weren't for the risk of damaging the lead I would have disassembled these before painting

Super secret squirrel side project

So something cropped on eBay I have never seen before - turns out there was in fact a Bugman's shield made way back when (I am reliably informed it was part of the SH2 collection). More Paypal then I care to admit later and it was mine. Unforuntatey I need 20-60 of the damn things so cue the blue stuff:

This thing is tiny, the details are perhaps 1.5mm deep at best so I gave liquid green stuff a try - as the normal 2 part epoxy stuff deformed the press mould too much. Although there is some shrinkage as it sets this is easy to compensate for. Really quite happy with how it has turned out -forgive overpsill on the cast it's easier to remove once it's on the shield.